Options

Boson practice ExSim Max 640-822 vs test that comes with Odom's Cisco book

SurferdudeHBSurferdudeHB Member Posts: 199 ■■■□□□□□□□
Is there a major difference between the Boson practice exam you get with the book and the actuall $ 99 ExSim-Max for Cisco 640-822 ?
I'm wondering if I should purchase the ExSim. From what I read it's a great tool to help you pass the ICDN1.

I find the test that came with the Cisco book very effective in testing my knowledge.

Comments

• Options
    Mike-MikeMike-Mike Member Posts: 1,860
    I think on the Bosom website it explains they are different tests/sims
    Currently Working On

CWTS, then WireShark
  • Options
    certmistercertmister Member Posts: 40 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I was considering buying the ICND 1 version from Boson a few months back but decided against it. I was watching CBT Nuggets course at the time and Jeremy Ciaora mentioned that the way he looked at it, it cost almost the same as the exam to buy most exam software and that if you just did the exam based on what you had learned - the least you could come out with was the experience of the real exam. If I was in charge of Pricing at Boson I would come way under the price for the exam.

My advice is just use the software in the Book and go for it. That's what I did with ICND1 and I am sitting ICND2 on the 28th Sept. I am doing the same thing this time, using the included Boson Software. What I usually do is watch CBTnuggets Videos -get a good overview and then do some basic labbing. I then start doing the Boson questions and try not to focus on the right answer but instead use it to eliminate the detailed information I am missing and hone my Troubleshooting skills. I also use it to do some Labs up loosely based on the configs I see there. That strategy has worked well for me but everyone is different. I just can't stick reading Odom's Book cover to cover even though the information in there is fantastic. Best of Luck whatever you choose to do.
  • Options
    SurferdudeHBSurferdudeHB Member Posts: 199 ■■■□□□□□□□
    certmister wrote: »
    I was considering buying the ICND 1 version from Boson a few months back but decided against it. I was watching CBT Nuggets course at the time and Jeremy Ciaora mentioned that the way he looked at it, it cost almost the same as the exam to buy most exam software and that if you just did the exam based on what you had learned - the least you could come out with was the experience of the real exam. If I was in charge of Pricing at Boson I would come way under the price for the exam.

My advice is just use the software in the Book and go for it. That's what I did with ICND1 and I am sitting ICND2 on the 28th Sept. I am doing the same thing this time, using the included Boson Software. What I usually do is watch CBTnuggets Videos -get a good overview and then do some basic labbing. I then start doing the Boson questions and try not to focus on the right answer but instead use it to eliminate the detailed information I am missing and hone my Troubleshooting skills. I also use it to do some Labs up loosely based on the configs I see there. That strategy has worked well for me but everyone is different. I just can't stick reading Odom's Book cover to cover even though the information in there is fantastic. Best of Luck whatever you choose to do.

Thanks for the input, I like this approach!

BTW how much is the CCENT test?
  • Options
    KrisAKrisA Member Posts: 142
    Thanks for the input, I like this approach!

BTW how much is the CCENT test?

Per the Pearson site -

640-822
    Interconnecting Cisco Networking Devices Part 1
    $US 125.00

However you can find vouchers for cheaper.
    WGU Progress BSIT:NA | Current Term:1 | Transfered To-Do In Progress Completed
    EWB2 BAC1 BBC1 TSV1 WFV1 CLC1 LAE1 LUT1 LAT1 AXV1 TTV1 INC1 INT1 TPV1 SST1 SSC1 GAC1 HHT1 TNV1 QLT1 BOV1 LET1 ORC1 IWC1 IWT1 MGC1 ABV1 AHV1 AJV1 TWA1 CPW2 BRV1
    Currently Reading
    Darril Book
  • Options
    lochmoighlochmoigh Member Posts: 89 ■■□□□□□□□□
    KrisA wrote: »
    Per the Pearson site -

640-822

Interconnecting Cisco Networking Devices Part 1

$US 125.00

However you can find vouchers for cheaper.

Please point me in that direction.
    Currently Reading:
    ICND2 Official Exam Guide
    Second Edition Wendell Odom
    CCNA: Cisco Certified Network Associate Study Guide: Exam 640-802
    31 days Before your CCNA Allan Johnson
    Network Warrior: Everything you need to know that wasn't on the CCNA exam Gary A. Donahue

Looking for IT openings in East TN