No miracles today...failed ICND2

tex3030tex3030 Member Posts: 19 ■□□□□□□□□□
Well, I thought it was going to be a lot closer than it was, got a 790, needed 825 to pass.

The two things I wished I had looked at before the test I never got around to...NAT and STP. With NAT I wanted to lab it and just didn't, so nothing stuck. STP, I just never can seem to remember which interface actually blocks; been over it at least a half-dozen times.

There was another question that I am really worried about, where none of the answers seemed right and it had to do with a routing table.

It is so hard to talk about the exam without actually talking about the exam. I am guessing if I would have postponed (which a large part of me wanted to do) for another week I would have had it. On the bright side I got to take a very real practice test. :)

Guess it is time to see when the next available day to take the test and a day off coincide.

Comments

• KrisAKrisA Member Posts: 142
    I am curious as to why you didn't reschedule for a week or 2 out.
    WGU Progress BSIT:NA | Current Term:1 | Transfered To-Do In Progress Completed
    EWB2 BAC1 BBC1 TSV1 WFV1 CLC1 LAE1 LUT1 LAT1 AXV1 TTV1 INC1 INT1 TPV1 SST1 SSC1 GAC1 HHT1 TNV1 QLT1 BOV1 LET1 ORC1 IWC1 IWT1 MGC1 ABV1 AHV1 AJV1 TWA1 CPW2 BRV1
    Currently Reading
    Darril Book
  • varelgvarelg Banned Posts: 790
    Oh man, sorry that you failed. Is it your first time sitting this exam? And did you self-study or went to school?
  • echo465echo465 Banned Posts: 115
    KrisA wrote: »
    I am curious as to why you didn't reschedule for a week or 2 out.
    If you wait until you're 1000% sure that you're ready, you'll never take the test. At least ICND1 and ICND2 are half the price of the harder Cisco tests. Now, (as the OP said), he's had a very realistic practice test and will be ready next time.
  • pham0329pham0329 Member Posts: 556
    echo465 wrote: »
    If you wait until you're 1000% sure that you're ready, you'll never take the test.

and going in when you're only 70% ready is just as foolish, no offense to the OP.

NAT and STP (especially STP) is a big part of the exam. If you didn't know those 2 topics, you should have rescheduled. Even if you pass the exam, you would be a CCNA that doesn't know NAT and STP icon_silent.gif
  • tex3030tex3030 Member Posts: 19 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I understood NAT in that I know what the terms mean, and can configure it provided that I have access to the help. STP - just never can remember if it blocks based off of the local priority or the priority that it is going to.

I would consider these trivial things to remember and if I had prepared more or worked with it on a daily basis would know without even thinking about it. Instead of thinking about it as a "if frogs had wings..." situation, I am looking at it more as "I should have studied more."

It has been all self study for ICND2, spent a long time preparing for ICND1 and scored fairly well even though I did not feel comfortable going into it. This was my first time sitting for the test and had no idea what kind of outcome I would have. I do know that when I realized I was on my last question thinking "Gonna have to study this more afterwards..."

Just wanted to make sure to post all results, good or bad. I have gained a lot from the forums and wanted to make sure that people have realistic expectations going into it. Moral of the story: study
  • alxxalxx Member Posts: 755
    Hang in there and good luck for the resit!
    Goals CCNA by dec 2013, CCNP by end of 2014
  • NightShade03NightShade03 Member Posts: 1,383 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Don't sweat it! I'm sure you'll pass the next time around! As you've already stated you got some good real world experience. If you need help on any of the topics you were having trouble with...or just have general questions you can always ask them here too. We are always here to help icon_thumright.gif
  • whatthehellwhatthehell Member Posts: 920
    Don't give up and keep trying! Good luck next go around!
    2017 Goals:
    [ ] Security + [ ] 74-409 [ ] CEH
    Future Goals:
    TBD
  • jamesleecolemanjamesleecoleman Member Posts: 1,899 ■■■■■□□□□□
    You'll get it!
    Booya!!
    WIP : | CISSP [2018] | CISA [2018] | CAPM [2018] | eCPPT [2018] | CRISC [2019] | TORFL (TRKI) B1 | Learning: | Russian | Farsi |
    *****You can fail a test a bunch of times but what matters is that if you fail to give up or not*****
  • CheesyBreadCheesyBread Member Posts: 99 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I failed my second attempt today as well.

First time I got an 818, and today I got an 804. I'm really feeling stressed about it. I've been punishing myself with Cisco for a long time and it's been very disheartening to fail twice by such a small margin. I went through every question on ****.net ICND2 section 4 times yesterday to the point where I got 100% every time, and not just based off knowing whether the answer was ABCD, but by actually understanding the question and material.

I received the same lab sim on both tests, and I can word for word type out the entire config from memory. I've rescheduled my 3rd exam for next wednesday 9/28.

I had one question, is there a limit on how many times I can take ICND2? I saw posts in forums saying there was no limit, but I couldn't find any proof on the cisco site regarding a retry limit, and a sr network engineer at my office swears that after 3 fails you have to wait 90 days.

Any insight to my situation or the question would be much appreciated.

I'm still hopeful.

edit : Decided to delete the topic of the simulation, might be a violation.
  • ccnaomkarccnaomkar Member Posts: 187 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Certification Exam Policies - IT Certification and Career Paths - Cisco Systems

• Candidates who fail an exam must wait a period of five (5) calendar days, beginning the day after the failed attempt, before they may retest for the same exam.
    • Once passed, a candidate must wait a minimum of 180 days before taking the same exam with an identical exam number.
    i also got 804 on my first attempt of icnd2 but i am retaking after few months
    dont go to ****.net site i know its brain **** site (might there answers wrongicon_lol.gif)

instead improve over weak sections icon_study.gif
  • CheesyBreadCheesyBread Member Posts: 99 ■■□□□□□□□□
    ccnaomkar wrote: »
    Certification Exam Policies - IT Certification and Career Paths - Cisco Systems

• Candidates who fail an exam must wait a period of five (5) calendar days, beginning the day after the failed attempt, before they may retest for the same exam.
    • Once passed, a candidate must wait a minimum of 180 days before taking the same exam with an identical exam number.
    i also got 804 on my first attempt of icnd2 but i am retaking after few months
    dont go to ****.net site i know its brain **** site (might there answers wrongicon_lol.gif)

instead improve over weak sections icon_study.gif

There answers WERE wrong. I was upset after failing the first with an 818 so I just memorized all their answers and regurgitated them onto the ICND2 test and ended up doing worse.

I picked up Lammle's 7th edition study guide, and I read the first 25% yesterday, and I'm probably going to read 25% per day for the next few days and on the 2-3 days before my test I'm going to read the chapters I'm struggling with multiple times like WAN and IPv6.
  • jamesleecolemanjamesleecoleman Member Posts: 1,899 ■■■■■□□□□□
    If that website had actual test questions, you can't use that site to study from.
    If cisco finds out that you tried to **** on the test, they can take away your
    certifications and ban you from testing with cisco again.

So if you used actual questions from a cisco test for the ccent you have. I
    suggest going back to retake that test after you've studied from actual
    study material.

Just buy books to study from the book store to be safer.
    Booya!!
    WIP : | CISSP [2018] | CISA [2018] | CAPM [2018] | eCPPT [2018] | CRISC [2019] | TORFL (TRKI) B1 | Learning: | Russian | Farsi |
    *****You can fail a test a bunch of times but what matters is that if you fail to give up or not*****