Options

You can capture packets in GNS3? Awesome!

pham0329pham0329 Member Posts: 556
I'm pretty sure I'm the only person who didn't know this, but I just found out that you can use Wireshark to capture packets in GNS3! That is sooooo cool!!

Reading about OSPF LSA types is one thing, but seeing the actual packets is way better. I was a little confused with what's actually inside a DBD packet since most books cover it in 1 paragraph, but seeing the packet and all the LSA headers inside it....ah, that just made my day!

Comments

• Options
    instant000instant000 Member Posts: 1,745
    pham0329 wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure I'm the only person who didn't know this, but I just found out that you can use Wireshark to capture packets in GNS3! That is sooooo cool!!

Reading about OSPF LSA types is one thing, but seeing the actual packets is way better. I was a little confused with what's actually inside a DBD packet since most books cover it in 1 paragraph, but seeing the packet and all the LSA headers inside it....ah, that just made my day!

What's awesome to me is whenever someone learns something new, and they have a youthful joy about it! Teaching would be my retirement profession of choice. (Most people's top earning years are in their 50's to 60's, so maybe I'll find out a way to make a buck as a teacher.)
    Currently Working: CCIE R&S
    LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/lewislampkin (Please connect: Just say you're from TechExams.Net!)
  • Options
    veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I didn't know this. Thanks for the info.
  • Options
    Chris_Chris_ Member Posts: 326
    It is fantastic - I think it really comes into it's own when capturing serial links - where else could you do that??There us a new version of GNS3, it's called virtual box edition. It allows for real time capture in GNS3, as opposed to having to relaunch wireshark to refresh the cap file. And, as the name suggests, it has a built in link to Oracle virtual box, so you can easily interact with VMs without all that cloud configuration - bonus!
    Going all out for Voice. Don't worry Data; I'll never forget you
    :study: CVoice [X] CIPT 1 [ ] CIPT 2 [ ] CAPPS [ ] TVOICE [ ]