Brain ****

cisco_kiddcisco_kidd Member Posts: 64 ■■□□□□□□□□
And no, not the brain **** we frown upon. I'm talking about the "****" that you **** on the pieces of paper before taking your exam such as a subnetting chart, OSI model, etc. I know things have changed dramatically from the days I took Cisco exams to now, and have heard you CANNOT **** to your pieces of paper until you click "begin" on the computer. Is this true?? When can you jot down your **** on the paper?

Comments

• echo465echo465 Banned Posts: 115
    Confirmed, that's what the proctor told me when I sat for the CCNA earlier this summer. I don't think I got that instruction in 2010 when I did my CCENT.
  • gramacorpgramacorp Member Posts: 39 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Yea same, sat my CCENT afew weeks back and was told the same before my test. I still dumped before starting anyway.
  • cisco_kiddcisco_kidd Member Posts: 64 ■■□□□□□□□□
    gramacorp wrote: »
    Yea same, sat my CCENT afew weeks back and was told the same before my test. I still dumped before starting anyway.
    So if you pressed begin, when did you get a chance to ****?? I mean, doesn't the clock start ticking when you click begIn?
  • gramacorpgramacorp Member Posts: 39 ■■■□□□□□□□
    You start a tuitoral, read over some stuff, then start the exam. i wrote everything before the tuitoral.
  • cpartincpartin Member Posts: 84 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I wrote my CCENT back in May. I don't recall being told not to **** but I wrote down my subnetting chart during the tutorial phase. You're given like 15 min but it really only takes a couple of minutes to run through.
  • jamesleecolemanjamesleecoleman Member Posts: 1,899 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I also read that I couldn't write anything down on the paper they gave is. A lot of other people might have read the same thing. I don't know why they would start writing when the instructions tells them not to until it actually begin. It's just another easy way to get in trouble.
    Booya!!
    WIP : | CISSP [2018] | CISA [2018] | CAPM [2018] | eCPPT [2018] | CRISC [2019] | TORFL (TRKI) B1 | Learning: | Russian | Farsi |
    *****You can fail a test a bunch of times but what matters is that if you fail to give up or not*****
  • VAHokie56VAHokie56 Member Posts: 783
    I was never told anything...I placed all my notes on my dry erase board before the tutorial like a few others have mentioned. I think it depends on the proctor, mine was a girl who seemed more interested in looking at Facebook then giving exams...I probably could of brought a laptop in with me and she would not have noticed...
    .ιlι..ιlι.
    CISCO
    "A flute without holes, is not a flute. A donut without a hole, is a Danish" - Ty Webb
    Reading:NX-OS and Cisco Nexus Switching: Next-Generation Data Center Architectures
  • Mike-MikeMike-Mike Member Posts: 1,860
    I received no instructions on my recent exam, but I didn't write anything down until I was 3 to 4 questions deep
    Currently Working On

CWTS, then WireShark
  • Greenmet29Greenmet29 Member Posts: 240
    when I sat the ent, they didn't tell me anything... I told myself I was going to wait the allowed amount of time to relax my nerves, and it seems like there were three or four different pages, including use policy, practice questions, and a few other things. Seemed like I could have taken about 45min before actually starting the test, but I got tired of waiting. Then I nailed it. Don't stress icon_smile.gif
  • CheesyBreadCheesyBread Member Posts: 99 ■■□□□□□□□□
    The best time to do your **** is when you are on the 15 minute clock that shows you how to take the test.

It also runs through a running config or two on that screen so if you're CCENT level, it might be helpful to copy down the VTY commands, ip address xxxxxx commands, and a few others.

I'd recommend requesting blank printer paper and a pen, instead of the crappy white boards. It makes everything a lot easier.
  • instant000instant000 Member Posts: 1,745
    Yeah, I always thought that once the tutorial began, that was the time to start using your whiteboard.

I completely filled mine up with subnets, configlets, everything during the tutorial phase. Then, when I took the test, I found that I only referenced the board for 5% of the questions .... *meh* LOL.

Then, when I took the NA:Security, I was at a loss as to what I would even put on the board, so I had planned out some stuff like spanning (not spanning tree, the other one where you watch ports), vpn, storm control, etc. .... Needless to say, I feel like with all the notes I wrote out, I only referenced them for 5% of the questions ..... *meh*.

Also, +1 on the idea of taking notes from the sample configs they show you in the tutorial itself!

I think that next time, I'm going to glance at a quick reference sheet, and have it in my head to at least be able to jot down all that stuff when the test begins (anything in particular that's multi-step, is prime candidate for the whiteboard)

For CCNA, that was frame relay/ACL/NAT setups, for CCNA:Security, it was ACL/VPN/authentication setups.

Then, after writing down all the stuff, you seem to barely get questions on what you wrote down :D Then, you're glad you studied, because you wouldn't have passed the test otherwise :D
    Currently Working: CCIE R&S
    LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/lewislampkin (Please connect: Just say you're from TechExams.Net!)
  • martell1000martell1000 Member Posts: 389
    i took icnd 1 & 2 this year and both times they didnt say anything about it. they just handed me the pen and board and started the test engine.

anyway - i took my notes during the "tutorial" time, its more then you need to write down all of the stuff.
    And then, I started a blog ...