NSA is Hiring!

the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
If you go to the NSA's website and search through careers, they've recently put a ton of Cyber Security positions up. A lot are based out of Maryland, but there are some for Texas and Hawaii as well. If you think you can get through the background check, I'd suggest submitting the resume and giving them a try. Pay will largely depend on experience and you get locality pay when you work for the government. The DC area (includes Maryland) has the highest locality pay percentage wise, so you can expect about $10000 on top of your salary. Plus they pay for school once you've been there for a year (might be 2 years)! Good luck!
WIP:
PHP
Kotlin
Intro to Discrete Math
Programming Languages
Work stuff

Comments

• jamesleecolemanjamesleecoleman Member Posts: 1,899 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Thanks for the heads up. Hopefully they'll still have a few spots open after I graduate.
    Booya!!
    WIP : | CISSP [2018] | CISA [2018] | CAPM [2018] | eCPPT [2018] | CRISC [2019] | TORFL (TRKI) B1 | Learning: | Russian | Farsi |
    *****You can fail a test a bunch of times but what matters is that if you fail to give up or not*****
  • instant000instant000 Member Posts: 1,745
    the_Grinch wrote: »
    If you go to the NSA's website and search through careers, they've recently put a ton of Cyber Security positions up. A lot are based out of Maryland, but there are some for Texas and Hawaii as well. If you think you can get through the background check, I'd suggest submitting the resume and giving them a try. Pay will largely depend on experience and you get locality pay when you work for the government. The DC area (includes Maryland) has the highest locality pay percentage wise, so you can expect about $10000 on top of your salary. Plus they pay for school once you've been there for a year (might be 2 years)! Good luck!

Thanks for pointing this out.
    Currently Working: CCIE R&S
    LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/lewislampkin (Please connect: Just say you're from TechExams.Net!)
  • echo465echo465 Banned Posts: 115
    Well someone just ruined his chances, by proving that he couldn't keep a secret...
  • NightShade03NightShade03 Member Posts: 1,383 ■■■■■■■□□□
    I went through there interview process and it was interesting to say the least. I ended up taking a different job, but I hear the background check takes up to 16 months to complete. I have a few friends that have/had worked there and they really liked it. Good luck to all those applying.
  • the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Thanks for the heads up. Hopefully they'll still have a few spots open after I graduate.

If you are graduating within a year, I'd suggest applying. Let them decide whether you can be hired and if you factored in the background, it could be a bit.
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
    echo465 wrote: »
    Well someone just ruined his chances, by proving that he couldn't keep a secret...

Nope, no secrets were divulged

Job locations: in the postings
    Pay: based on the ranges in the job posting, it is obvious that experience is looked at
    Locality pay: open knowledge that the government gives out and if you do the math on the lowest pay you can figure it to be 10K
    Paying for School: also common knowledge that can be found on their website

Ah Open Source Intelligence, how we love you ;)
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
    This truly depends on the person as far a background check length. The more information you have and the fewer places you have lived, the quicker it is. Some people can have their TS done in 3 months, others lived in 9 countries and it takes two years. You're investigator also has a lot to do with it as well.
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • BlackoutBlackout Member Posts: 512 ■■■■□□□□□□
    NSA is a hard gig to pull tbh, I have had a few friends apply, one of them has his masters, CISSP, and a TS SCI, they never even called him. These jobs are listed but normally you need to know someone to even pull off getting an interview. It is very very difficult to get hired by the NSA. Not trying to be a thread killer just seen allot of people get their hopes up only to crash and burn.
    Current Certification Path: CCNA, CCNP Security, CCDA, CCIE Security

"Practice doesn't make perfect. Perfect practice makes perfect"

Vincent Thomas "Vince" Lombardi
  • jamesleecolemanjamesleecoleman Member Posts: 1,899 ■■■■■□□□□□
    If you are graduating within a year, I'd suggest applying. Let them decide whether you can be hired and if you factored in the background, it could be a bit.

I'll be done at the end of the next school year. But I'm also working on skills that they could use so by that time, I think honestly might have a shot.
    Booya!!
    WIP : | CISSP [2018] | CISA [2018] | CAPM [2018] | eCPPT [2018] | CRISC [2019] | TORFL (TRKI) B1 | Learning: | Russian | Farsi |
    *****You can fail a test a bunch of times but what matters is that if you fail to give up or not*****
  • JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,023 Admin
    How to get hired by the NSA
    1. Move to Annapolis Junction, MD
    2. ...
  • badrottiebadrottie Member Posts: 116
    Blackout wrote: »
    NSA is a hard gig to pull tbh, I have had a few friends apply, one of them has his masters, CISSP, and a TS SCI, they never even called him. These jobs are listed but normally you need to know someone to even pull off getting an interview. It is very very difficult to get hired by the NSA. Not trying to be a thread killer just seen allot of people get their hopes up only to crash and burn.

The chance of getting hired by the NSA are remote, but your chances of not getting hired are guaranteed to be 100% if you never apply. Sometimes, they come to you. A colleague was recently interviewed for a NSA position and turned them down (He already had his TS SCI due to military experience, so he did not require to go through that process again). Working in industry with a valid security clearance pays considerably more than what the government pays their employees. Food for thought.
  • SecuSecu Member Posts: 14 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Went to posting and saw that you need a poly. Its not that I can't pass it, they always just seem intimidating.
  • BlackoutBlackout Member Posts: 512 ■■■■□□□□□□
    badrottie wrote: »
    The chance of getting hired by the NSA are remote, but your chances of not getting hired are guaranteed to be 100% if you never apply. Sometimes, they come to you. A colleague was recently interviewed for a NSA position and turned them down (He already had his TS SCI due to military experience, so he did not require to go through that process again). Working in industry with a valid security clearance pays considerably more than what the government pays their employees. Food for thought.

Agreed, a clearance doesn't mean **** in the military tbh, I didn't even know I had a clearance until a couple of years ago and I got it in 2003. The only people I have seen land jobs at the NSA is Military Crypto's with SCI's, I haven't seen one non military type get picked up yet.
    Current Certification Path: CCNA, CCNP Security, CCDA, CCIE Security

"Practice doesn't make perfect. Perfect practice makes perfect"

Vincent Thomas "Vince" Lombardi
  • ComputadoraComputadora Member Posts: 69 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Hi NSA, we know you are monitoring this thread, ROFL. icon_lol.gif
  • JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,023 Admin
    Hi NSA, we know you are monitoring this thread, ROFL. icon_lol.gif
    That easy enough for anyone to do using Google Alerts - Monitor the Web for interesting new content
  • TByrd450TByrd450 Member Posts: 65 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Hate to beat a dead horse, but if any one has worked with the NSA or knows someone who has. Please contact me. I would live to work for the NSA and want to talk to someone who has.
  • cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    My buddy used to work there but he's on an extended vacation in the Kremlin. It may be a while until he gets back to me icon_lol.gif
  • techwizardtechwizard Member Posts: 162 ■■■□□□□□□□
    cyberguypr wrote: »
    My buddy used to work there but he's on an extended vacation in the Kremlin. It may be a while until he gets back to me icon_lol.gif

would that be because he is snowed in? :D
    "Never give up" ~ Winston Churchill
  • RouteMyPacketRouteMyPacket Member Posts: 1,104
    No thanks, spying on people and assisting in the tearing down of the Constitution and destroying civil liberties is not for me.
    Modularity and Design Simplicity:

Think of the 2:00 a.m. test—if you were awakened in the
    middle of the night because of a network problem and had to figure out the
    traffic flows in your network while you were half asleep, could you do it?
  • Master Of PuppetsMaster Of Puppets Member Posts: 1,210
    ^^Valid point.

And, also, I have a few very good jokes about this one but I am not American and I don't know how lightheartedly you guys would take them.. :D
    Yes, I am a criminal. My crime is that of curiosity. My crime is that of judging people by what they say and think, not what they look like. My crime is that of outsmarting you, something that you will never forgive me for.
  • kj0kj0 Member Posts: 767
    deth1k wrote: »
    The Answer is "42"
    2017 Goals: VCP6-DCV | VCIX
    Blog: https://readysetvirtual.wordpress.com
  • deth1kdeth1k Member Posts: 312
    There's a reason not everyone invited to the "party" ;)

http://gchqchallenge.blogspot.co.uk

P.S "42" is wrong :P
  • radzradz Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I applied to Edward Snowdens former job at Booz Allen Hamilton.. Unfortunately I didn't get it :/ Which is a shame because I'm good at keeping secrets! Lol