Passed

l!ghtl!ght Member Posts: 48 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hey all, Passed CCNA. If I can do it so can you. Took me 1,5 months. Used Cram Exam book and Lammle's. For all people who are considering buying Lammle's book - do NOT! Right now his latest is 6th edition and next one will come out next month. Wait for that one, its updated.
Jesus saves!

Comments

• gramacorpgramacorp Member Posts: 39 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congrats on the pass! As for Lammel's book, the 7th edition has been out for a few months now. I purchased a copy back in April on Amazon icon_wink.gif
  • alan2308alan2308 Member Posts: 1,854 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Congrats on the pass. Whats next?
  • l!ghtl!ght Member Posts: 48 ■■□□□□□□□□
    gramacorp wrote: »
    Congrats on the pass! As for Lammel's book, the 7th edition has been out for a few months now. I purchased a copy back in April on Amazon icon_wink.gif
    I think we are talking about different books. However, you might be right. In any case when I was buying Lammles book 6th edition was the latest one.
    Jesus saves!
    alan2308 wrote: »
    Congrats on the pass. Whats next?
    Next I want Sec+
    Jesus saves!
  • whatthehellwhatthehell Member Posts: 920
    Congratz on the pass and thanks for posting study material!
    2017 Goals:
    [ ] Security + [ ] 74-409 [ ] CEH
    Future Goals:
    TBD
  • ShanmanShanman Member Posts: 223
    Congratz on your pass!!!!! icon_cheers.gificon_cheers.gificon_cheers.gif

I have mine on Thursday. Hoping to have the same result.
  • varelgvarelg Banned Posts: 790
    Awesome l!ght, congrats! Only 1.5 months? How much of it did you know before you started preparing for CCNA?
    I am kinda looking into this, there probably is some overlap with some of the LPIC objectives (at least with the network setup part of Linux), so I won't be exactly starting from scratch. Aside from wondering whether this cert would benefit my aim towards a sysadmin position.
    I have also noticed people like third-party guides for CCNA, what's up with that when there's an official guide published by the cert provider? What is the profile of an IT guy that goes for third- party CCNA guide vs. IT that chooses the official guide?
  • Dakinggamer87Dakinggamer87 Member Posts: 4,016 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Congrats on pass!! icon_thumright.gif
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."

Certs/Business Licenses In Progress: AWS Solutions Architect, Series 6, Series 63
  • luisYmeluisYme Member Posts: 23 ■□□□□□□□□□
    nice! but i agree- how much hands-on experience did you have prior to the 1.5 months of studying?
  • klopasklopas Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I have the 7th edition of Lammle's book, purchased off of Amazon. It was published April 5, 2011.
    luisYme, varelg Umm... before I started reading Lammle, I had zero experience with cicso routers/switches. I did know about this things called IOS they used (from my Net+ certification) . But, please do not misunderstand, the exam is not easy. 1.5 months of waking up at five, labbing (real routers and switches) till 7 am, going to work and do re-reading both books and constantly using simulator. So that is another 9 to 5. Relaxed only on Sat/Sun. Total per day: 9 hours (+ lunch, during which I was eating-reading). BUT for an experienced professional should be a walk in the park then, right? And probably non-experienced talented person will not need the crazy schedule I had.
    Jesus saves!
    varelg wrote: »
    Awesome l!ght, congrats! Only 1.5 months? How much of it did you know before you started preparing for CCNA? I am kinda looking into this, there probably is some overlap with some of the LPIC objectives (at least with the network setup part of Linux), so I won't be exactly starting from scratch. Aside from wondering whether this cert would benefit my aim towards a sysadmin position. I have also noticed people like third-party guides for CCNA, what's up with that when there's an official guide published by the cert provider? What is the profile of an IT guy that goes for third- party CCNA guide vs. IT that chooses the official guide?
    By the way, the question between other guides and Cisco-made is price. And also the way the authors write. Lammle is easier to read, not so dry. But to use only his book is probably good for people with experience. I remember I finished reading it and then stumbled on the page from Exam Cram with practice questions. That is what made me buy it, the questions there were tricky, and made me feel unprepared.
    Jesus saves!
  • ccnaomkarccnaomkar Member Posts: 187 ■■□□□□□□□□
  • saikchaksaikchak Member Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
  • DevilryDevilry Member Posts: 668
    Congrats on the pass! Use any lab gear?
  • asoftasoft Member Posts: 74 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Congrats. How did you study for labs and scenario questions?
  • varelgvarelg Banned Posts: 790
    Thanks for the insightful info l!ght, now I know what kind of journey am I embarking on. Your testimonial for making it "from zero to hero" should be made a sticky.
    varelg wrote: »
    Thanks for the insightful info l!ght, now I know what kind of journey am I embarking on. Your testimonial for making it "from zero to hero" should be made a sticky.
    icon_lol.gif My story is not that great to make it to sticky. By the wayI think you will do fine. The worst enemy during the test is stress. Makes you feel like time is flying, but in reality there is plenty of time if you just relax.
    Jesus saves!
    Devilry wrote: »
    Congrats on the pass! Use any lab gear?
    Yes I used two 2516 routers and two 2950 switches.
    Jesus saves!
    asoft wrote: »
    Congrats. How did you study for labs and scenario questions?
    Why do you ask? You already have CCNA and CCNP, right?
    Jesus saves!
  • KrisAKrisA Member Posts: 142
    l!ght wrote: »
    Hey all, Passed CCNA. If I can do it so can you. Took me 1,5 months. Used Cram Exam book and Lammle's. For all people who are considering buying Lammle's book - do NOT! Right now his latest is 6th edition and next one will come out next month. Wait for that one, its updated.

I can assume the 1 Test approach was taken?
    WGU Progress BSIT:NA | Current Term:1 | Transfered To-Do In Progress Completed
    EWB2 BAC1 BBC1 TSV1 WFV1 CLC1 LAE1 LUT1 LAT1 AXV1 TTV1 INC1 INT1 TPV1 SST1 SSC1 GAC1 HHT1 TNV1 QLT1 BOV1 LET1 ORC1 IWC1 IWT1 MGC1 ABV1 AHV1 AJV1 TWA1 CPW2 BRV1
    Currently Reading
    Darril Book
  • BlackoutBlackout Member Posts: 512 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Why do you ask? You already have CCNA and CCNP, right?

I think you misunderstand, allot of people here are looking for what you used to get your knowledge. did you choose to use the lammle labs? did you use netsim? Did you have any videos you watched? Thats what he was talking about, this is a community that looks to each other for help and guidance.
    Current Certification Path: CCNA, CCNP Security, CCDA, CCIE Security

"Practice doesn't make perfect. Perfect practice makes perfect"

Vincent Thomas "Vince" Lombardi
    KrisA wrote: »
    I can assume the 1 Test approach was taken?
    Yes, thats right. I figured, in terms of time spend preparing and taking tests, one is better for me. I figured it makes more likely to screw up if you take two tests than if you do one. But that is just my opinion.:D
    Jesus saves!
    Blackout wrote: »
    I think you misunderstand, allot of people here are looking for what you used to get your knowledge. did you choose to use the lammle labs? did you use netsim? Did you have any videos you watched? Thats what he was talking about, this is a community that looks to each other for help and guidance.
    Well seeing how he already has CCNP, I think I should ask him for advice not the other way around <smile>
    But anyway, I did use netsimk, packet tracer, my own lab, did Lammle's labs. Didn't watch any videos. And basically I had a decision-making like flow-chart apporach. Everything starts at the top and finishes at the bottom. Commands never change, only IP addresses. For example OSPF/EIGRP/RIP will always start with "router", then ospf/eigrp/rip, AS or ID. Then network xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx. Same with ACL, NAT, WAN, VLAN etc. For example in WAN you will do encapsulation first, ACLs always have a permit statement at the end, etc. I am not sure if my approach can help people or not.
    Jesus saves!
  • lon21lon21 Member Posts: 201
    Well seeing how he already has CCNP, I think I should ask him for advice not the other way around <smile>
    But anyway, I did use netsimk, packet tracer, my own lab, did Lammle's labs. Didn't watch any videos. And basically I had a decision-making like flow-chart apporach. Everything starts at the top and finishes at the bottom. Commands never change, only IP addresses. For example OSPF/EIGRP/RIP will always start with "router", then ospf/eigrp/rip, AS or ID. Then network xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx. Same with ACL, NAT, WAN, VLAN etc. For example in WAN you will do encapsulation first, ACLs always have a permit statement at the end, etc. I am not sure if my approach can help people or not.

ACLs have a deny statement at the end.
    lon21 wrote: »
    ACLs have a deny statement at the end.
    No, I meant YOU will have to make permit statement at the end (when you are writing your ACL rules), unless you plan to shutdown the interface completely. Or if you have a permit statement in the beginning and that is the ONLY traffic that you plan to permit.
    Jesus saves!