Scheduling CCENT in 2 weeks

altjxaltjx Member Posts: 194
Before my promotion, I want to achieve my CCNA entirely before January, which is when we will be reviewed. I have been studying the CCENT for the past month and I've only been using the Cisco Official Study Guide for my notes.

I thought about using the Lammele's book (I think his name is spelled that way), but one of the security analysts at my job recommended the Cisco book as it was probably more detailed, so I went for it. The analysts are very knowledgeable, so I definitely take their word before anyone elses. Have anyone found the Cisco book to be less detailed than Lammelle's?

Also, I am considering CBT nuggets vs TrainSignal 640-822 (ICND1) course. Which one do you think would be more beneficial? TrainSignal seems a bit slow usually in the past when studying, and CBT seems to be right on pace as if you know what you're doing, and I like that.

I have about 87 pages of notes from the entire Official Study Guide from Cisco, but would like for anyone else who has taken the exam to give me some advice on moving forward. My goal is to schedule this exam no later than 2 weeks from now, to give myself at least 2 months for the ICND2.

Also, I have taken the 4 Cisco courses at a local Technical College approximately 2 years ago (starting), but have moved the Microsoft route after my last job. Since starting here, I have changed my certification path to Cisco's side, so a lot of this material is just review for me. However, a lot is also new to me as well as it's extremely specific and a bit more detailed than the online curriculum.

I have attached my notes just incase anyone would like to use them. They're not professional or nothing, just notes. I'm not sure what the hell is up with the "Invalid Files" when trying to upload my file, but here are the CCENT Commands and Notes that I've taken from this one book only.
http://www.mediafire.com/?9vd4aslb73b392s
CompTIA: A+, Security+, Network+
Microsoft: MCTS: Windows 7, Configuring, MCTS: Windows Server 2008 Applications Infrastructure, Configuring
Cisco: CCENT, CCNA

Comments

• alxxalxx Member Posts: 755
    cbt nuggets!

I'm slowly studying for ccna, got to get my undergrad thesis finished first
    (due beginning of november).

Using both cisco and Todd Lammles books ,and academy materials ( thru work)
    Goals CCNA by dec 2013, CCNP by end of 2014
  • KrisAKrisA Member Posts: 142
    Looking at the your "notes" makes my chicken scratches ( At least I understand them) on the pad of paper sitting next to me seem kindergarten.

I am scheduled for the test 9/29 - Can give you more of an idea then, but that is also +5 days out. Your wanting to test in 14..

Video's
    Both sets of video's have pro's and cons. I have picked up on different things from each, as well as random Youtube no-names who just explain it differently then the prior two.

Have you done any sims or had any hands on since you have been out of college? Just read through more notes to see if you made reference to labs or sims and I couldn't find it. But I also noticed nothing on subnetting. I have a couple pages of notes on it ( Word from the grape vine is it is important)... This may be something you know well all ready.
    WGU Progress BSIT:NA | Current Term:1 | Transfered To-Do In Progress Completed
    EWB2 BAC1 BBC1 TSV1 WFV1 CLC1 LAE1 LUT1 LAT1 AXV1 TTV1 INC1 INT1 TPV1 SST1 SSC1 GAC1 HHT1 TNV1 QLT1 BOV1 LET1 ORC1 IWC1 IWT1 MGC1 ABV1 AHV1 AJV1 TWA1 CPW2 BRV1
    Currently Reading
    Darril Book
  • altjxaltjx Member Posts: 194
    KrisA wrote: »
    Looking at the your "notes" makes my chicken scratches ( At least I understand them) on the pad of paper sitting next to me seem kindergarten.

I am scheduled for the test 9/29 - Can give you more of an idea then, but that is also +5 days out. Your wanting to test in 14..

Video's
    Both sets of video's have pro's and cons. I have picked up on different things from each, as well as random Youtube no-names who just explain it differently then the prior two.

Have you done any sims or had any hands on since you have been out of college? Just read through more notes to see if you made reference to labs or sims and I couldn't find it. But I also noticed nothing on subnetting. I have a couple pages of notes on it ( Word from the grape vine is it is important)... This may be something you know well all ready.

My notes do not cover ever single thing that I know. By taking the class for 2 years, my notes are only covering what I could brush up on for the most part. Yes, in 2 years back to back, I've had countless (100+) hand on labs with the physical equipment as well as packet tracer activities from the entire curriculum. Subnetting is extremely easy.

I know both training companies have pros and cons, but I am curious to know which of the two seems (by opinions) the most accurate and to the point, by the CCENT and CCNA test takers. As stated before, my notes are not in the best format, but the information itself is very useful. Using those notes, I've been doing pretty excellent on a lot of practice tests, but each practice test I take, I find information that was not covered in the Official Study Guide. I would like to rely heavily more on one of the video training courses just to brush up.
    Microsoft: MCTS: Windows 7, Configuring, MCTS: Windows Server 2008 Applications Infrastructure, Configuring
  • thomsargthomsarg Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I took the CCENT yesterday, and passed with a 925. I had been studying on/off for the past 6 months or so, but I really got serious the past couple of weeks (putting in at least a couple of hours, sometimes more, daily).

My study materials consisted of the Odom Book (ICND1), a couple of different practice exams and a home lab setup (a couple of old routers and switches). I did have the Lamale book, but didn't use it. I didn't use any of the video training software out there....although everyone speaks highly of CBT Nuggets. I bought the Cisco CCENT 'game'....and while it was kind of fun, I didn't find it too helpful in test prep.

I didn't come across anything on the exam that wasn't covered in the Odom book. I used the 'home lab' setup to re-inforce the commands/configurations/etc. That's because I just remember it more easily when I actually do/see the commands, rather than just read about them. The Boson practice test that came with the ICND1 book was a really good prep tool, in my opinion. I didn't purchase the full exam....only used the one with book on the CD...but, it was very good, I thought. (I'll probably buy the full version for the ICND2 exam.)

A couple of nights before the test date, I went back through the book, doing the 'tests' again......to find areas I might be weak in, and trying to brush up on those.....that was a big help, as a couple of the topics did come up on the actual exam.

To me, I think one of the biggest motivators is to go ahead and schedule (and pay for) the exam. Having the date, really helped me focus and keep from 'putting off' studying.

As for the test itself.......I was expecting it be much tougher that it actually was. You do have to know the material, but if you do.....you won't be surprised. I had seen previous posts/comments (on other threads/sites) that complained about the wording/style of the questions.....but I didn't think they were tricky at all. You do have to read carefully, and some of the 'answer choices' do make you think. But, from your comments, I think you'll do well.....just get that test date and go! icon_smile.gif (I'll be taking the ICND2 exam around the end of the year also.)
  • altjxaltjx Member Posts: 194
    thomsarg wrote: »
    I took the CCENT yesterday, and passed with a 925. I had been studying on/off for the past 6 months or so, but I really got serious the past couple of weeks (putting in at least a couple of hours, sometimes more, daily).

My study materials consisted of the Odom Book (ICND1), a couple of different practice exams and a home lab setup (a couple of old routers and switches). I did have the Lamale book, but didn't use it. I didn't use any of the video training software out there....although everyone speaks highly of CBT Nuggets. I bought the Cisco CCENT 'game'....and while it was kind of fun, I didn't find it too helpful in test prep.

I didn't come across anything on the exam that wasn't covered in the Odom book. I used the 'home lab' setup to re-inforce the commands/configurations/etc. That's because I just remember it more easily when I actually do/see the commands, rather than just read about them. The Boson practice test that came with the ICND1 book was a really good prep tool, in my opinion. I didn't purchase the full exam....only used the one with book on the CD...but, it was very good, I thought. (I'll probably buy the full version for the ICND2 exam.)

A couple of nights before the test date, I went back through the book, doing the 'tests' again......to find areas I might be weak in, and trying to brush up on those.....that was a big help, as a couple of the topics did come up on the actual exam.

To me, I think one of the biggest motivators is to go ahead and schedule (and pay for) the exam. Having the date, really helped me focus and keep from 'putting off' studying.

As for the test itself.......I was expecting it be much tougher that it actually was. You do have to know the material, but if you do.....you won't be surprised. I had seen previous posts/comments (on other threads/sites) that complained about the wording/style of the questions.....but I didn't think they were tricky at all. You do have to read carefully, and some of the 'answer choices' do make you think. But, from your comments, I think you'll do well.....just get that test date and go! icon_smile.gif (I'll be taking the ICND2 exam around the end of the year also.)

NICE!! Congrats man. I was actually thinking about doing the same thing - just scheduling the exam and going for the date, that way I'd be more motivated to not want to be lazy about it. You know, the official guide that I got from my job actually came with the Boson CD as well, but I've had to reformat so that caused some problems with the activation. Now that you've mentioned it again though, I'm actually going to try getting back into that set of practice questions.

Congrats on the exam man. I'm going to get with my supervisor some time this next week to schedule a few hours off to take this exam. Feeling highly motivated. A lot of the practice questions I've taken myself, I said the same thing. I couldn't believe the questions were so simple it seemed. The things I struggle the most with I'd say is the way data is encapsulated, Ethernet standards, and some 802.x related questions. Those sometimes get to me. Thanks a LOT for that!
  • KrisAKrisA Member Posts: 142
    You should be fine, Test is no where near what the practices are like IMO..
    WGU Progress BSIT:NA | Current Term:1 | Transfered To-Do In Progress Completed
    EWB2 BAC1 BBC1 TSV1 WFV1 CLC1 LAE1 LUT1 LAT1 AXV1 TTV1 INC1 INT1 TPV1 SST1 SSC1 GAC1 HHT1 TNV1 QLT1 BOV1 LET1 ORC1 IWC1 IWT1 MGC1 ABV1 AHV1 AJV1 TWA1 CPW2 BRV1
    Currently Reading
    Darril Book