CISSP Boot camp

Michael2Michael2 Member Posts: 305 ■■■□□□□□□□
Is the boot camp for this thing any help at all? I'm thinking about going for the CISSP after I take the CompTIA Sec+ exam provided that I pass. I wonder how anyone can actually learn everything needed for the CISSP in only 7 days. I know the CompTIA test is going to be pretty easy, but I still gave myself a month to study.

Comments

• cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    Boot camps are not design to acquire new knowledge. They are more of a review after you've studied and want to reinforce the material. Unless you have plenty of security experience I would say study from a couple of traditional resources first, and then use a boot camp a few weeks before the exam. Even better, the ones that give the exam on the last day.
  • JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,023 Admin
    Yep, I agree. Boot camps are to help your brain remember stuff that you already knew, plus pick up a few extra pointers that may help you in the exam. Never walk into a concentrated study course knowing little or nothing about the topics taught. You will be overwhelmed with the speed and quantity of knowledge thrown at you, and will likely feel it was a waste of money.
  • Chivalry1Chivalry1 Member Posts: 569
    Ditto....Unless your job is paying and your are in need of a vacation...I would not take the course in order to pass the exam. You are better off doing self-study, practice test, study groups, etc.

I recently took a Certified Ethical Hacker boot camp course that offered the exam on the 5th day. Some opted out for taking the exam until later, others had problems passing the exam. If I didn't have prior experience I would not have taking the test either. Utilize the courses as a refresher.
    "The recipe for perpetual ignorance is: be satisfied with your opinions and
    content with your knowledge. " Elbert Hubbard (1856 - 1915)
  • natureboy24natureboy24 Member Posts: 15 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I went to a CISSP Bootcamp. Didn't have a good overall experience. Save your money, unless your company will pay for it. Self study and hands on experience is the best way.
    MBA: Information Systems (2008)
    BS: Management Information Systems (2006)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Member Posts: 0 ■■■□□□□□□□
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • colemiccolemic Member Posts: 1,569 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Well, I am on the flip side - I went to one in 2009 for CISSP, and thought it was very effective, and valuable.

...or maybe it was just the dedicated week prior to testing, reinforcing everything I had previously learned, that I found valuable. Either way, I would do it again.
    Working on: staying alive and staying employed
  • 7 VII 77 VII 7 Member Posts: 26 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Bootcamps are A LOT of material in a short period of time. They will go over A LOT and tell you what you need to know, should know and what not to study for the CISSP. My advise from taking a Bootcamp already... study 2 or 3 months ahead of time and then take the bootcamp.