Options

IT Burnout

JamesFigueroaJamesFigueroa Member Posts: 68 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hey guys,

Im a system admin for a new company. Its only been 2 months but this place is overwhelming with issues and work. Im salaried so naturally you get screwed but im finding that im putting in at least 50+ hours a week just to keep up and make a good impression. The problem is that I think im burning out or im already there. I have never experienced this but from what im reading about the subject, im definitely showing signs. Has anyone experienced burnout and if so, how does one recover?

Comments

• Options
    DevilryDevilry Member Posts: 668
    Make more personal time for yourself. It helps, bigtime. And recently I have learned to not make it indoor type things, get out.. fresh air!

I think any job is overwhelming the first 6-12 months, personally. You'll get the hang of it. And if its a new company, is there possibility of them hiring someone to help out?
  • Options
    vColevCole Member Posts: 1,573 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Well, getting acclimated in a new position is hard. However, I've noticed most sys admins tend to work 45-50 hours a week. Is there anything you can do to automate process or fix things causing you issues? I'd much rather put in 1-3 weeks at 60-70hrs if that means the remainder of my weeks will be 40-45hrs. As for the burnout, usually finding a project that you're excited about tends to get me out of the "burnout" stage.
  • Options
    JamesFigueroaJamesFigueroa Member Posts: 68 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Good Stuff guys, thanks alot

"is there possibility of them hiring someone to help out? "

-probably a .000000001% chance...not very good odds

"Is there anything you can do to automate process or fix things causing you issues?"

-this company is too big to get out of its own way. Too many intricacy's to automate anything