Remote App on Droid Tablet

crrussell3crrussell3 Member Posts: 561
Had an interesting ticket from one of our end users. They were wanting to use their droid tablet for Remote App access. I Googled around, and couldn't find any rdp app for droid that specifically said it could or couldn't do this. I really don't feel like installing a bunch of different rdp clients on my phone to see if it works or not, but wanted to ask if anyone here has heard or used this before?

Officially I don't want to support this, nor do I even think it would work very well due to the way the web app that they are connecting to works. They would be panning all over the screen to see things, it wouldn't be very productive. Unofficially, I am curious if it is possible or not :) I have enough trouble supporting Remote App on MAC. For some reason I can no longer send them my modified rdp remote app file and have it work. It connects w/full desktop experience which isn't what we want. So I have to manually make the change for it to work on their computer and save the changes that way.

Thanks!
MCTS: Windows Vista, Configuration
MCTS: Windows WS08 Active Directory, Configuration

Comments

• RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
    crrussell3 wrote: »
    Had an interesting ticket from one of our end users. They were wanting to use their droid tablet for Remote App access. I Googled around, and couldn't find any rdp app for droid that specifically said it could or couldn't do this. I really don't feel like installing a bunch of different rdp clients on my phone to see if it works or not, but wanted to ask if anyone here has heard or used this before?

Officially I don't want to support this, nor do I even think it would work very well due to the way the web app that they are connecting to works. They would be panning all over the screen to see things, it wouldn't be very productive. Unofficially, I am curious if it is possible or not :) I have enough trouble supporting Remote App on MAC. For some reason I can no longer send them my modified rdp remote app file and have it work. It connects w/full desktop experience which isn't what we want. So I have to manually make the change for it to work on their computer and save the changes that way.

Thanks!

I would assume that none of them say they will not support it because it is assumed none of them in fact does. I'll see if there is some way I can test it for you, but IS Infrastructure is a little paranoid about what they let on the network here...
  • undomielundomiel Member Posts: 2,818
    I did some googling as well and this one claims RemoteApp support: Remote Desktop Client for Android

I haven't tested it as I don't have any RemoteApp deployments to test with unfortunately.
    Jumping on the IT blogging band wagon -- http://www.jefferyland.com/
  • it_consultantit_consultant Member Posts: 1,903
    I would check the Wyse cloud app for iPad / Android.
  • DigitalZeroOneDigitalZeroOne Member Posts: 234 ■■■□□□□□□□
    This may not be what you want, but TeamViewer - Free Remote Access and Remote Desktop Sharing over the Internet can be installed on a desktop PC and then installed on a phone and you can control the desktop PC with the phone (or tablet). VMware also has vSphere clients for tablets, as well as VMware View.
  • crrussell3crrussell3 Member Posts: 561
    I would check the Wyse cloud app for iPad / Android.

They were the first ones I looked at since I have the free version installed on my droid. But, they don't indicate they support it. Seems that the xtralogic one that undomiel linked does, though looking at their site I don't see how you would do it with their app. Its a $25 app, so its not worth downloading under trial to test.

And Robert, don't go downloading and testing different ones to find out, I was more curious than anything else, as we won't be supporting end user personal tablets for remote app.
  • crrussell3crrussell3 Member Posts: 561
    This may not be what you want, but TeamViewer - Free Remote Access and Remote Desktop Sharing over the Internet can be installed on a desktop PC and then installed on a phone and you can control the desktop PC with the phone (or tablet). VMware also has vSphere clients for tablets, as well as VMware View.

We are talking completely different things here. Remote App is the ability with Remote Desktop to publish an application to end users. So instead of rdp into a server and being presented with a full desktop experience, they are only presented with the app. We have IE as a Remote App that loads a java application. To the remote end users, it looks like IE is running on their computer, albeit with lower graphics (I think I am pushing 16bit).
    Citrix supports this - if you are using XenApp. Remote app is simply the whole remote desktop with view restrictions, I have people just go in the old remote desktop way if they really want. The reality is unless the application you are using is web based or designed to work with mobile devices, this is just not a great solution. Believe me, I have doctors that would LOVE to use their iPad and they have pocket cloud running and we have a terminal server, it is jus too much of a pain.
  • SteveLordSteveLord Member Posts: 1,717
    . Believe me, I have doctors that would LOVE to use their iPad and they have pocket cloud running and we have a terminal server, it is jus too much of a pain.

I have board members that want this.....most of which are doctors. Already pinging Vmware and Citrix to see who can deliver it best. Then likely going to use RSA Tokens/hardware to satisfy the security side.

I want it myself, because it will ultimately make my responsibilities with them 100x easier.
    WGU B.S.IT - 9/1/2015 >>> ???
    Best solution I have found is to have them buy an ASUS slate running Windows 7. Or maybe these dang EHR providers can jump on the mobile device bandwagon, that would be best.
  • the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    We use Citrix for the Droids and iPhone/iPads, it works pretty well. What we tell people is obviously it works, but it's not a laptop so don't expect a lot. If they are using it on a tablet, that is close enough to a laptop. But we have people using it on iPhone/Droid phones and it isn't so great.
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • phoeneousphoeneous Member Posts: 2,333 ■■■■■■■□□□
    I use this almost everyday on my lg g2x to connect to terminal boxes. Works great, never had a problem.

Remote Desktop Client for Android