CCT (Cisco Certified Technician)

xirtlookxirtlook Member Posts: 124
Does anyone have any of these certifications?
What did you use to study for them?

Technician (CCT)

Cisco Certified Technicians have the skills to diagnose, restore, repair, and replace critical Cisco networking and system devices at customer sites. Technicians work closely with the Cisco Technical Assistance Center (TAC) to quickly and efficiently resolve support incidents. Cisco authorized training is available online and can be completed in multiple short sessions, enabling technicians to stay productive in the field. Cisco CCT certification is available in multiple technology tracks, providing an opportunity for Cisco support technicians to expand their area of expertise.

CCT Route & Switch
http://www.cisco.com/web/learning/le3/le2/le41/CCT/routing_and_switching/learning_certification_type_home_extra_level.html
640-692 RSTECH

CCT Data Center
CCT Data Center Certification - Technician (CCT) - Cisco Systems
640-893 DCTECH

CCT TelePresence
CCT TelePresence Certification - Technician (CCT) - Cisco Systems
640-792 TPTECH

Entry level Cisco Certifications begins either with CCENT as an interim step to Associate level, or a Cisco Certified Technician (CCT) certification. With a CCENT, a network professional demonstrates the skills required for entry-level network support positions - the starting point for many successful careers in networking. Cisco Certified Technicians have the skills to diagnose, restore, repair and replace critical Cisco networking and system devices at customer sites.
Both certifications serve as starting points for individuals interested in entering a career in network technologies.
nerd power.

Comments

• MAC_AddyMAC_Addy Member Posts: 1,740 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I don't think you'll find too many people that have taken this yet since they're so new. I suspect they'll become more popular within 6 months to a year.
    2017 Certification Goals:
    CCNP R/S
  • xirtlookxirtlook Member Posts: 124
    my thoughts exactly. Looks like I'll be one of the first ones to take it then.

going to do the $299.00 training.
    https://learningnetworkstore.cisco.com/market/prod/productView.se.work;jsessionid=7030ba5cac0f$3F$E6h$?/nxt/rcrs/proieidentity/=19876&/nxt/rcrs/aisidentity/=2576

I
    'm expecting to take the exam in November.
    nerd power.
  • alxxalxx Member Posts: 755
    Why CCT and not CCENT ?

I see CCENT as being more valuable than a CCT
    and from looking at the currently available study materials for CCT,
    CCENT via self study is the cheaper option.

Also if you get CCT and want to eventually get ccna or ccnp
    you will still have to go cover the material for CCENT as part of the CCNA.

Will employers take someone with a CCT if they can get people with CCENT or CCNA for the same payrate (but more indepth knowledge)?
    Goals CCNA by dec 2013, CCNP by end of 2014
    I definitely agree with alxx, go with the CCENT.

Actually, I just noticed in your certs list you have CCNA, so why on earth would you go with the CCT? If you're actually a CCNA go with something higher, not lower. Try studying for the CCNA-Sec or wireless.

If you don't actually have your CCNA then I'd definitely go with the CCENT option.
    CCNP R/S
  • Cisco InfernoCisco Inferno Member Posts: 1,034 ■■■■■■□□□□
    im waiting on Todd Lammle to release some form of cheaper training.
    i believe he was interested in writing a book for this.
    2019 Goals
    CompTIA Linux+
    [ ] Bachelor's Degree
  • Mike-MikeMike-Mike Member Posts: 1,860
    the OP lists a CCNA in their certs, why would they get a CCENT?
    Currently Working On

CWTS, then WireShark
    the CCT is geared more towards product specific knowledge and T.A.C.
    (ie- supporting 4500 and 6500 cisco devices... wont know that at CCENT/CCNA level)

so if you work for a Cisco Partner, and provide support for SmartNet customers, it might be a requirement.

its a specialization certification track.
    nerd power.
  • MrRyteMrRyte Member Posts: 347 ■■■■□□□□□□
    So is this just another way for Cisco to make a few extra $$$ on the side?
    NEXT UP: CompTIA Security+ :study:

Life is a matter of choice not chance. The path to your destiny will be paved by the decisions that you make every day.
    nice find Mac Addy.

I also came across this one:
    Cisco Certified Technician Certification Overview - YouTube

I think this certification is a great, especially for those getting into the DataCenter and TelePresence.

Personally, I think DataCenter needs to become its own track with CCNA/CCNP/CCIE layers.

CCT-RS is cool, but I think they could just add some objectives into the CCNA/CCNP.
    nerd power.
  • SteveO86SteveO86 Member Posts: 1,423
    So where does CCT fit in the scale?

I thought it was:
    CCT < CCENT < CCNA

Or am I wrong?
    My Networking blog
    Latest blog post: Let's review EIGRP Named Mode
    Currently Studying: CCNP: Wireless - IUWMS
    not wrong, just close.

its a specialization.

CCT is on the same "level" as a CCENT, but offset.

Like what the CCNA Voice or Wireless is to the CCNA, its a specialization, but still on the same entry level as the CCNA.

the CCT focuses on support. Support for customers using mid-scale/large-scale network devices like the 4500s and 6500s.
    Its more product specified. It introduces and demonstrates cooperation with Cisco's T-A-C.
    nerd power.
    SteveO86 wrote: »

I thought it was:
    CCT < CCENT < CCNA

That's what I thought too, and that's how I read it on Cisco's website. Not many people will know about these certifications. So on the safe side you should study the CCNA... UNLESS you just completed Network+ and wanted to go into cisco, but not full in depth.
    CCNP R/S
    So I've started my studying for CCT. Here is what is covered in the material Cisco provides you.

Module 1 - General Networking Knowledge
    -Networking Fundamentals
    -Examining LAN connectivity
    -Extending a LAN with a Switch
    -Extenind a LAN with a Router
    -Examining LAN Cabling
    -Examining WAN Connectivity
    -Understanding IP Addressing and Subnets

Module 2 - Cisco Equipment and Related Hardware
    -Large-chassis Cisco Switches
    -Common Large-Chassis Switch Modules
    -Small-chassis Cisco Switches
    -Cisco Routers
    -Common Router Modules

Module 3- IOS Software Operation
    -Describing Cisco IOS Command-line Interface Functions
    -Exploring the Cisco Device Boot-up Process
    -Gathering Device Information using Cisco IOS Commands

Module 4- Service-Related Knowledge
    -Managing Configuration via the Console Port and Terminal Program
    -Managing Configuration via TCP/IP Network (In-Band)
    -Managing Configuration via a Dial-Up Connection (Out-of-Band)
    -Examining Common Network Problems at Layers 1 and 2
    -Managing Cisco IOS Images
    -Performing Password Recovery on a Cisco Device

I've thought about not sharing tihs with you guys, because I was afraid it might violate any agreement with Cisco, but really this is just what their material covers, I'm not sharing it with anyone, and I'm not telling you what's being tested, so I feel comfortable giving you all the heads up..

Study Up or buy the training material!
    nerd power.
    so I've finished watching the recommended training material.

everything that was covered other than Module 2, is the same you would learn from CCNA.

Seems like its going to be an easy test, going to schedule the test for next Friday if I can.
    nerd power.
  • VAHokie56VAHokie56 Member Posts: 783
    I still don't see why on earth you would waste time with this if you already have a CCNA and currently work in the field
    .ιlι..ιlι.
    CISCO
    "A flute without holes, is not a flute. A donut without a hole, is a Danish" - Ty Webb
    Reading:NX-OS and Cisco Nexus Switching: Next-Generation Data Center Architectures
    CCT-RS is a requirement for CCT-DC and CCT-TP.

I work for a Cisco Partner. We are building our own NOC from scratch.

CCT-RS covers Medium-Large scale Switches/Routers that CCENT/CCNA/CCNP does not.

This certification will prove that I am atleast knowledgeable of the products.

but yes, the test looks to be extremely easy, easier than CCENT. As stated dozens of times before, its Product based.

Really I think anyone with CCNA needs to just pick up a Cisco Product Reference Guide, and they should be golden.
    nerd power.
  • Russell77Russell77 Member Posts: 161
    These entry level certs may be in response to some industry demands. As a telecom field tech I have had a lot of things dumped on me over the years with little understanding or training. This included configuration of cisco routers and IAD's. To be honest there was only so much I needed to know and as I study for the ccna now on my own time I have a much greater understanding of what is going on at the support center when I am talking to them. For many years we were told never to touch a customers network and then we were asked to deploy voip phones. So now we have to touch the network so a lot of my education was trial and error. Since this is only 1 part of the job it would be difficult for the company to ask all the techs to even go for ccent as it covers way more than a field tech needs to know. An easier version of the ccent might be the ticket for the field techs who are the eyes and ears for the help desk.
    I passed today with an 883. I was expecting a perfect score before I took the exam, and half way through the exam I started to get a lil nervous.

(790 is passing, and its out of 1000)

some of the questions were very detailed on the products, products that I didnt expect them to bring up during the exam, and some of the questions I felt were tricky.

all in all, I'm pleased I passed on the first try, could have been embarrassing.

I had 70 questions, and 90 minutes to finish. I was done in like 30mins. Mostly mulitple choice, few drag in drops.

as soon as I ended the exam, it didnt tell me my score, just went straight to the printer... so that had me nervous too lol.

Studied less than 2 weeks, but I have the privilege of studying at work, and already have my CCNA to rely on.

so goodluck to all those who decide to go for it.

next up for me is the CCT-DataCenter and also back to studying for my CCNP.
    nerd power.
  • lorddalronlorddalron Registered Users Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Going to be a thread revival here but im thinking about trying to obtain the Data Center cert to go along with my CCENT which i plan to do in the next month or so however im struggling to find any learning material.

@Xirtlook- How did you go about studying..Was it just a matter of going for it seeing you already have your CCNA??
  • lunchbox67lunchbox67 Member Posts: 132 ■■■■□□□□□□
    xirtlook wrote: »
    I passed today with an 883. I was expecting a perfect score before I took the exam, and half way through the exam I started to get a lil nervous.

(790 is passing, and its out of 1000)

some of the questions were very detailed on the products, products that I didnt expect them to bring up during the exam, and some of the questions I felt were tricky.

all in all, I'm pleased I passed on the first try, could have been embarrassing.

I had 70 questions, and 90 minutes to finish. I was done in like 30mins. Mostly mulitple choice, few drag in drops.

as soon as I ended the exam, it didnt tell me my score, just went straight to the printer... so that had me nervous too lol.

Studied less than 2 weeks, but I have the privilege of studying at work, and already have my CCNA to rely on.

so goodluck to all those who decide to go for it.

next up for me is the CCT-DataCenter and also back to studying for my CCNP.

Great thread.
    Too many people ASSUME that this Cert is for not.
  • RoguetadhgRoguetadhg Member Posts: 2,489 ■■■■■■■■□□
    It couldn't hurt to read through it. Knowledge is knowledge and you might learn something.
    In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
    TE Threads: How to study for the CCENT/CCNA, Introduction to Cisco Exams

• xagreusxagreus Member Posts: 112 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Here's a link to a Cisco page where you can find comparisons for the two certs:

https://learningnetwork.cisco.com/docs/DOC-13117

Hope that's helpful!
    A+, Net+, Sec+, CySA+, CCNA, ITIL 2011 Foundation, AWS CCP, ISC2 CC, MS SC-900, MS AZ-900
    2024 goals: AZ-900, Cloud+, Palo Alto PCNSA, CyberOps Associate, DevNet Associate, Project+
  • darkerzdarkerz Member Posts: 431 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I am in a position where I convinced my company to ditch Verizon managed services and go towards in sourcing a NOC, second engineer and manager for our group.

Having this specific information can help quite a bit.

Not sure if it's test worthy unless you like a lot of badges saying Cisco on it...
    :twisted:
  • realsteelrealsteel Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    @xirtlook @anyone who attended cisco online training for CCT

does the $299.00 training has a Course Completion Certificate? or any document that shows you have finished the 4 training modules?

Thank you!
    I honestly can't remember. It's been too long.
    Why not just go for the certification?
    nerd power.
  • itguy4lifeitguy4life Member Posts: 6 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I remember back then when I was still trying to get my CCT certification, it was really a rough journey for me because everything wasn't easy. I studied every night by reading and understanding my modules but it isn't enough. I took two exams but eventually failed, I thought of some ways on how to improve myself and my comprehension of the topics and luckily I found this one website which is certlibrary(dot)com which helped me practice my knowledge through the use of practice exams. I think if you want to pass your CCT certification then this is the best one for you to try out.