they are trying to do too much with 1 os and it feels stretched to thin
    wgu undergrad: done ... woot!!
    WGU MS IT Management: done ... double woot :cheers:
  • DevilryDevilry Member Posts: 668
    Time for a new CEO, imo.
  • DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    i think windows 8 will kill microsoft

they are trying to do too much with 1 os and it feels stretched to thin

I agree. I think it is great if they want to get into the tablet market, but the OS I use on my desktop or laptop likely won't be the same one that I want to use on my tablet. They should have left Windows closer to how it was and launch a new OS to be used on a tablet. But that is just the opinion of one guy.
    Decide what to be and go be it.
  • TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Bokeh wrote: »

Not much sympathy Im afraid. MS staff are drones and have been for years, same for Cisco. The time to have power and be an employee of a company and make a fuss is when there is a surge and they need you, not when you are established, the company is fat and lazy and the directors and shareholders and senior management are milking it for all it's worth. Look at Cisco TAC the last 10 years, gone to pieces. The market grab frenzy has gone and when that goes so does the quality and the perks.

In a 100 years the same model will apply. Work for a company where your work still matters.
  • YamsYams Member Posts: 13 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Is this the point where we are supposed to open our arms to cloud technology.
    Yams wrote: »
    Is this the point where we are supposed to open our arms to cloud technology.

Companies already are. Although cloud is immature, many traditional jobs in IT are doomed. Reajust so you have long term prospects. If you are not prepared to reajust, look at a non IT career.
  • DevilWAHDevilWAH Member Posts: 2,997 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I have said many times on this forum, he is not the man for the job, just listing to him talk and you know putting him in the head seat was a mestake.

There is an interview where he is laughing at the atempts of Google and Apples attempts with IPAD and Crome OS.

Sorry but you don't laugh when compinies like that are trying too pull down your walls, that is the time to get your head down and show just why you have the top spot, and sadly he hasnt shown it yet.

Just what inavations have microsoft had in the last 5 years? The Xbox Kinect?? it says a lot when a company such as microsofts greatist biggest headline grabber is a console.

Time for him to go and get some one who belives and is excited by IT back in the seat.
    • If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. Albert Einstein
    • An arrow can only be shot by pulling it backward. So when life is dragging you back with difficulties. It means that its going to launch you into something great. So just focus and keep aiming.
  • it_consultantit_consultant Member Posts: 1,903
    The problem with cloud will be lessened with IPv6 and higher regular bandwidth. Right now we are implementing "cloud" servers which are basically leased VMs in a data center. There is a 100 meg p2p from where all the remote offices converge to the "cloud" colo. Without that dedicated bandwidth this would not be happening. As IPv6 gets implemented and our traditional understanding of public / private networking gets turned upside down plus the lower cost high speed symmetrical bandwidth - cloud will start taking over the jobs we used to do.
    I think there will always be a lot of non cloud IT around. for day to day services yes it will be huge, but there is a lot of bespoke stuff out there that just does not easly migrate, or it is simply not practical to do so.

I think what will happen is thre gap between the helpdesk staff and the engineers/experts will get larger, and it will be harder and harder for people to break in.
    • If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. Albert Einstein
    • An arrow can only be shot by pulling it backward. So when life is dragging you back with difficulties. It means that its going to launch you into something great. So just focus and keep aiming.
    DevilWAH wrote: »
    I think there will always be a lot of non cloud IT around. for day to day services yes it will be huge, but there is a lot of bespoke stuff out there that just does not easly migrate, or it is simply not practical to do so.

I think what will happen is thre gap between the helpdesk staff and the engineers/experts will get larger, and it will be harder and harder for people to break in.

That gap is enormous and increasing, as I have been saying for 7 seven years. As for bespoke, no money in it and certainly no future in it!
    The problem with cloud will be lessened with IPv6 and higher regular bandwidth. Right now we are implementing "cloud" servers which are basically leased VMs in a data center. There is a 100 meg p2p from where all the remote offices converge to the "cloud" colo. Without that dedicated bandwidth this would not be happening. As IPv6 gets implemented and our traditional understanding of public / private networking gets turned upside down plus the lower cost high speed symmetrical bandwidth - cloud will start taking over the jobs we used to do.

It will. Inside 5 years, many people on TE will be affected.
    I disagree about the bespoke area.

having worked in areas of computer modelling, I just can't see things like that moving to the cloud, the efficiency you get from matching very specifically the hardware to the OS to the application software gets lost when you move to cloud, we tried it and the restrictions and limitation of the cloud always going to be there.

There are defiantly areas of this that can be moved to a cloud.

Another area I see a lot of resistance is banks, epically the financial ones. suggest to them to move all there services to the cloud and you just get a wall of silence.

Yes desktop services are all going to go to the cloud, but we see a lot that when you crunch the figures, moving to the cloud dosent have any benifits, so why would our customers pay tens of millions to migrate, when they will get nothing in return?
    Turgon wrote: »
    It will. Inside 5 years, many people on TE will be affected.

I think this is why its so important to keep up with as wide a varity of technologies as possible, fingers in as many pies. Yes concentrate on one as that how you move forward in a career. But be ready to switch when needed.

At the end of the day IT is here to stay, this is jsut another evolution along the way. the Cloud will still need many of the skills around now, may be they will be more concentrated. Any new skills will be needed as the cloud technologies develop.

I think its a great time to be in IT, no longer is it server engineers vrs Network engineers. Slowly IT really is becoming one continous model, and the barries between the seperate areas are gettign blured. Its becomeing exactly what it should be, a highly modulised system. Its kind of mirrors the change in Programing from proceadual languages to Object orientated one.

And that didn't put programs out of buisness, just ment they had to addapt and in turn opened up many more doors for them.
  • gorebrushgorebrush Member Posts: 2,743 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Have to agree with Turgon, the IT World is changing...
    Datacenter skills, migration, application support, core infrastructure, project management, etc are here to stay no matter what the cloud does. You still have to deliver internet to your folks and get them all on PC/Mac/Tablets and train them to use it. Even if the cloud weren't looming, as it were, the reality is that hardware is so reliable that I can count on one hand the number of hard drives in both server and desktop hardware I have replaced in the last couple of years.

Application support will be huge. I work on a lot of EHR programs (which are tough to move to the cloud because they interface with medical instruments) and the support really revolves around workflow, knowing the program, bug identification/check, etc. That exists whether the app is in the cloud or not.

It is no secret that my aim is to do more project management and business technology consulting because that is they way I see the market going. It is less important for me to know IOS commands then it is for me to identify and respond to business and efficiency needs. Someone else may decide that their aim should be database development, data mining, and reporting (an area that is seeing, and will continue to see explosive growth). People who really love the technical will want to get into application development for mobile and e-commerce stuff. The demand for IT services will grow, we just need to make sure that we have the skills that are going to be needed.
  • N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Datacenter skills, migration, application support, core infrastructure, project management, etc are here to stay no matter what the cloud does. You still have to deliver internet to your folks and get them all on PC/Mac/Tablets and train them to use it. Even if the cloud weren't looming, as it were, the reality is that hardware is so reliable that I can count on one hand the number of hard drives in both server and desktop hardware I have replaced in the last couple of years.

Application support will be huge. I work on a lot of EHR programs (which are tough to move to the cloud because they interface with medical instruments) and the support really revolves around workflow, knowing the program, bug identification/check, etc. That exists whether the app is in the cloud or not.

It is no secret that my aim is to do more project management and business technology consulting because that is they way I see the market going. It is less important for me to know IOS commands then it is for me to identify and respond to business and efficiency needs. Someone else may decide that their aim should be database development, data mining, and reporting (an area that is seeing, and will continue to see explosive growth). People who really love the technical will want to get into application development for mobile and e-commerce stuff. The demand for IT services will grow, we just need to make sure that we have the skills that are going to be needed.

Same here my main goals are business process development, project and operational management. I am trying to keep in both technology and business, but for me I have a heavy lean on the management/business side of IT. I'm not complaining it is what it is.

In fact when I apply for jobs I only get returns on process positions and low level management positions. I hardly ever get hits for technical jobs.

I only do technical work out of necessity now. However my boss is not afraid to leverage me into a technical capacity. Example we have an RFP for low level Unix/Linux patch management (Staff Augmentation). He flat out asked me if I would mind patching servers for the next few months until we could get trusted resources into that position. So those one off technology moments happen from time to time.
  • universalfrostuniversalfrost Member Posts: 247
    in the DoD we already see the migration. I spent the last 4 years working on migrating our infrastructure to data centers and VM's (the "cloud") and also working on IPv6 policy and requirements. Now, my current position I also am in the managment role as N2IT, but just spent the last 6 months doing "techie" work because my senior management didn't have the resources to hire more techs and they leveraged those managers from within that came from a technical background.... sure it sucked being back in help desk (hadn't done that for 10 years) , but really made me appreciated my cushy network engineer gig I preciously held and then I thanked god when they finally moved me back to my middle management/ net engineer position as the lead for the IPv6 enterprise migration.

Get prepared for the move to v6 and the use of VM's and data centers. If you don't want to move your career to VM and v6 then start looking at the IA realm, that is the other main sector that is booming right now. At least within the DoD we are forcing folks to migrate their legacy software/ hardware to v6 compliance and if it doesn't migrate then they must fix it or find a replacement. Hardware is mostly heading off to the data centers for third parties to maintain we are dumping the old servers and such and moving to VM's at data centers. Sure their will always be bits a pieces that don't migrate to data centers and/or v6, but those are few and far between and I would not want to risk my future on betting that I will support them....
    "Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati" (when all else fails play dead) -Red Green
    Consolidated data centers are certainly a trend that won't stop. It isn't worth getting redundant power, cooling, battery backup, multiple ISP, etc into a building anymore for all your stuff. Considering most apps are web based and fast internet is cheap - this makes a lot of sense for a lot of reasons. We also forget that most e-commerce is done in the cloud already. Remember when Amazon's EC2 datacenters went offline a while ago? Thousands of merchants were affected because they used Amazon to host their website AND manage the back end ordering, CC processing, shipping, etc through Amazon's application. That doesn't mean those merchants don't need IT support, they just don't need the type of IT support one would expect if you had an internal e-commerce application.
  • MishraMishra Member Posts: 2,468 ■■■■□□□□□□
    LoL Ballmer as bad as the Iranian president.

By the way, my friend and I have been talking about the mainframe coming back for a while.

We find it interesting that we went from a consolidated infrastructure, to a very scattered environment, right back to consolidation again.
    My blog http://www.calegp.com

You may learn something!
  • universalfrostuniversalfrost Member Posts: 247
    just take a look at ibm and their push into south america in the last decade. The are deploying mainframes to cental locations and selling/leasing portions of the processing and storage capabilities to companies throughout the continent.

I just wish that the VM certs weren't so darn expensive to get, most require you to sit through a training camp from an approved provider and that alone costs 2-4K depending on the cert..... I just looked at a citrix cert, but the class is a 5 hour drive away (means a hotel for a week) and the class was 2.5K, all for a cert that I know I can pass, but I can't afford the mandatory training class ( and my organization can't afford to pay for it right now).... oh well!icon_rolleyes.gif
    "Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati" (when all else fails play dead) -Red Green
    I disagree about the bespoke area.

having worked in areas of computer modelling, I just can't see things like that moving to the cloud, the efficiency you get from matching very specifically the hardware to the OS to the application software gets lost when you move to cloud, we tried it and the restrictions and limitation of the cloud always going to be there.

There are defiantly areas of this that can be moved to a cloud.

Another area I see a lot of resistance is banks, epically the financial ones. suggest to them to move all there services to the cloud and you just get a wall of silence.

Yes desktop services are all going to go to the cloud, but we see a lot that when you crunch the figures, moving to the cloud dosent have any benifits, so why would our customers pay tens of millions to migrate, when they will get nothing in return?

It really depends on what is meant by bespoke. If we are talking about niche things that are difficult to ship, are vital to a business and require hard to come by knowledge or skills, then yes there is money there until they figure out a way to turn that tap off. But as for bits and pieces hanging off an infrastructure that depreciate in terms of value, not much money in that in the long term.
  • chrisonechrisone Member Posts: 2,278 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Software and services is what is changing , OS, Cloud computing, etc. Infrastructure as well changes, not at the rate of software however, but as well will always need engineers IMO. Services and software would not really work without the network. Even your OS needs updating from time to time, so do your video games.

Just my opinion , dont take it to the heart.
    Certs: CISSP, EnCE, OSCP, CRTP, eCTHPv2, eCPPT, eCIR, LFCS, CEH, SPLK-1002, SC-200, SC-300, AZ-900, AZ-500, VHL:Advanced+
    2023 Cert Goals: SC-100, eCPTX
  • PC509PC509 Member Posts: 804 ■■■■■■□□□□
    As much as I love Microsoft, I agree with you 100%. Ballmer is a glorified car salesman. He looks like it, he acts like it, and he talks like it. He's not an IT person, he's a salesman. Steven Sinofsky would be a much better successor than Ballmer at this point. I just don't see Ballmer giving up his throne too easily. I think you have to have someone that would take risks on technology, which is how Microsoft got to where it is today. Bill Gates did it, but Ballmer has taken the easy route. You're right: very little innovation. Nothing really drastic or big bets. Bill Gates messed up on the Internet (among others), but he actually had the balls to say "I'm wrong. I screwed up.". Ballmer puts the blame on Apple, or Google, or whoever else is there to point the finger at.

Microsoft still has the potential, and they definitely have the talent working for them. It's just that the company isn't working for the employees. They have basically separated the employee from the company - why should they develop their crown jewels for a company that thinks the small time Microsoft programmer doesn't matter...

Steve Ballmer can't even get his own employees excited anymore, how could he get investors excited? Bill could - he was a nerd. He sold the product on it's technical merits. Ballmer tries to sell a lemon taxi cab as if it were a new high quality luxury sedan, and you can tell. He couldn't sell to nerds, we can see right through his bullshit.
    I have said many times on this forum, he is not the man for the job, just listing to him talk and you know putting him in the head seat was a mestake.

There is an interview where he is laughing at the atempts of Google and Apples attempts with IPAD and Crome OS.

Sorry but you don't laugh when compinies like that are trying too pull down your walls, that is the time to get your head down and show just why you have the top spot, and sadly he hasnt shown it yet.

Just what inavations have microsoft had in the last 5 years? The Xbox Kinect?? it says a lot when a company such as microsofts greatist biggest headline grabber is a console.

Time for him to go and get some one who belives and is excited by IT back in the seat.