Kindle Fire $199

chrisonechrisone Member Posts: 2,278 ■■■■■■■■■□
Anyone interested in this? The specs are not bad for 200 bucks. I might pick one up, the ipad is so limited when it comes to web browsing, its a joke. The games, well it seems that google has about the same amount of games, i could be wrong but they have all the popular ones. I wish it had a camera though. Kindle Fire - Full Color Kindle with 7" Multi-Touch Display, Wi-Fi
Certs: CISSP, EnCE, OSCP, CRTP, eCTHPv2, eCPPT, eCIR, LFCS, CEH, SPLK-1002, SC-200, SC-300, AZ-900, AZ-500, VHL:Advanced+
2023 Cert Goals: SC-100, eCPTX

Comments

• computer g33kcomputer g33k Member Posts: 149
    Looks like a solid device, hopefully it will be able to compete with the ipad.
    There's room for those who want the easy work and those who want the challenges. You will, of course, generally be compensated in proportion to what you shoulder. :smile:
    Currently Studying: Anything & Everything/Cisco Networking Academy For CCNA. (on hold)
  • rogue2shadowrogue2shadow Member Posts: 1,501 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I just got my DX a couple months ago icon_sad.gif.
  • petedudepetedude Member Posts: 1,510
    Looks like a solid gadget, but Amazon could have come up with a 10" tablet. THAT would have been the real "iPad killer." Of course, they might be waiting to see how well the Kindle Fire sells. . .

This new toy should keep some money from leaking out of Amazon's pockets and going to their competitors, but that's a limited crowd of Amazon faithful you're looking at. Amazon wants to sell a package of hardware and multimedia services like Apple's, so some folks will buy into that.

For me, I want to see how HP's WebOS drama will play out-- how much will the next Touchpad run be priced at? I figure I may wait all these gadgets out and upgrade myself into a nice 10" tablet in two years or so, if I can wait that long.
    Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there.
    --Will Rogers
  • billyrbillyr Member Posts: 186
    Looks pretty good, but the screen size is a no go for me, way too small.
  • kriscamaro68kriscamaro68 Member Posts: 1,186 ■■■■■■■□□□
    No sd, mini sd, microsd slot makes this thing kinda worthless. It can play a ton of formats but only has 8gb of storage. No thanks.
  • tpatt100tpatt100 Member Posts: 2,991 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Android App store but no access to the marketplace, makes sense I guess since Amazon wants to keep support limited to what they want I guess. The CPU is good, I was a little hesitant on the screen size but for reading I do prefer a smaller screen than my iPad. The price is excellent, might be tempted to pre order.

Edit: ok went and read some more. Amazon app market place has decent amount of apps, must resist.....
  • jmritenourjmritenour Member Posts: 565
    Sort of want it. I'd like a decent tablet, but I'm not going to pay an arm and leg for one. This looks like a good possibility.
    "Start by doing what is necessary, then do what is possible; suddenly, you are doing the impossible." - St. Francis of Assisi
  • PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    tpatt100 wrote: »
    Edit: ok went and read some more. Amazon app market place has decent amount of apps, must resist.....

Oh, go on! Jump on board :) Then you may report to the rest of us on what we are missing and sell us the kool-aid!

It does seem more interesting then the Nook. However, the screen size and storage (even at that price) I'm not real interested in. I'm not quite certain why several of the bigger players won't add a storage slot? Perhaps afraid of folks porting games/movies etc...but frankly, storage is not very expensive, so give it to us! :)

I'll pay for a good device, but I think they are all skimping on storage. Considering we cannot (typically) change out the battery, these things are being made to be disposable, and I have a problem buying into a disposable product such as this for the price.

$149/$199 was my price point, but now that many readers/tablets have come into that range, I'm still not real happy parting with that amount of money for what the device can do. And Apple is out of the realm at $500. It just isn't worth that much to me...$200, I may be interested, but not at $500+.
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
    Plantwiz wrote: »
    Oh, go on! Jump on board :) Then you may report to the rest of us on what we are missing and sell us the kool-aid!

Read on Endgadget that somebody from amazon said this is a "stop gap" product and another version will be out first part of 2012. More than likely a 10 inch screen.
  • rogue2shadowrogue2shadow Member Posts: 1,501 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Read on Endgadget that somebody from amazon said this is a "stop gap" product and another version will be out first part of 2012. More than likely a 10 inch screen.

If that happens I have no choice but to grab one lol.
  • DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Sounds promising.

I'm just skeptical. Sure, the price is great. But I only want to have a single touchpad. I don't want a Kindle for this, iPad for that, and blah for this. Ease of use is more important than money to me.
    Decide what to be and go be it.
  • XcluzivXcluziv Member Posts: 513 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Devilsbane wrote: »
    Sounds promising.

I'm just skeptical. Sure, the price is great. But I only want to have a single touchpad. I don't want a Kindle for this, iPad for that, and blah for this. Ease of use is more important than money to me.

This is true....everyone is jumping on the tablet band wagon. I was just looking and see that Sony even has a tablet...along with Toshiba.....
    LINKED | GTECH | NOTHINGBUTSHAREPOINT - BLOG AUTHOR

"TRY NOT. DO. OR DO NOT. THERE IS NO TRY" - Yoda

• the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Yeah I had heard there is another one coming. The 2nd device was suppose to be released, but there was an issue of some kind. I think they didn't include the storage because they are pushing their cloud offering. I've used the Cloud Music Player and it is pretty nice, plus unlimited storage for the music you buy from them and $20 bucks a year for 25 gigs of space for you personal music isn't too bad. Given the battery life on these devices, I'd never us it to watch a movie without being able to plug it in.
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    Ease of use is more important than money to me.

I hear you. Being an Apple hater I got an iPad2 for two reasons:

1. Damn thing just works. No fumbling with homebrew crap. I just don't have the time.
    2. Got a super good deal, Paid slightly more than the Kindle Fire price.

Fits my needs and I don't have to spend any time figuring out. That's what I needed.

Going back to the Fire, I am sure it will sell nicely at least until somethign better comes along. The average user cares about web, movies, music, e-reader, facebook/twitter and that's it. The price point is sweet.
  • NetworkingStudentNetworkingStudent Member Posts: 1,407 ■■■■■■■■□□
    chrisone wrote: »
    Anyone interested in this? The specs are not bad for 200 bucks. I might pick one up, the ipad is so limited when it comes to web browsing, its a joke. The games, well it seems that google has about the same amount of games, i could be wrong but they have all the popular ones. I wish it had a camera though. Kindle Fire - Full Color Kindle with 7" Multi-Touch Display, Wi-Fi

I really want something that does E-ink and web browsing. Until that day comes, I don’t think I will get a Tablet or an e reader. In my honest opinion, the Ipad2 looks like a huge I phone or I pad Touch, at least that’s how perceive it.
    When one door closes, another opens; but we often look so long and so regretfully upon the closed door that we do not see the one which has opened."

--Alexander Graham Bell,
    American inventor
  • demonfurbiedemonfurbie Member Posts: 1,819
    I really want something that does E-ink and web browsing. Until that day comes, I don’t think I will get a Tablet or an e reader. In my honest opinion, the Ipad2 looks like a huge I phone or I pad Touch, at least that’s how perceive it.

the new kindle can browse with e-ink

the last gen could too, its how i always read books 24/7
    wgu undergrad: done ... woot!!
    WGU MS IT Management: done ... double woot :cheers:
  • MrRyteMrRyte Member Posts: 347 ■■■■□□□□□□
    If that's the case I'll definately wait (can't see why they didn't just do this in the first place......icon_sad.gif )
    Either way; if it's decent competition to the IPAD then prices should start going down for tablets.
    NEXT UP: CompTIA Security+ :study:

Life is a matter of choice not chance. The path to your destiny will be paved by the decisions that you make every day.
  • it_consultantit_consultant Member Posts: 1,903
    Good thing I use the amazon cloud for most of my stuff anyway. I hope it syncs my picasa web albums like my android phone does, that is a nice feature.
  • undomielundomiel Member Posts: 2,818
    Price point is good but the screen size unfortunately doesn't match what I want. Maybe at $99 I would be interested. Wish the Playbook would drop down to that amount, I'm interested in running QNX on a tablet. They still all fall into the toy category for me.
    Jumping on the IT blogging band wagon -- http://www.jefferyland.com/
    I'd like to see a full listing of their app store. Sure they have angry birds and will probably have all the big ones because Amazon has the name recognition and the money to pull it. I don't think I would ever preorder it without seeing that.
  • undomielundomiel Member Posts: 2,818
    You can get the Amazon app store on an android device if you already have one: http://www.amazon.com/mobile-apps/b?ie=UTF8&node=2350149011

I've been using it for a while for their free app of the day. Looks like you can also browse their apps online as well.
    Jumping on the IT blogging band wagon -- http://www.jefferyland.com/
  • NobylspoonNobylspoon Member Posts: 620 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I have never understood the point in a 7" tablet. Perhaps this is because I am so used to my EVO screen, the jump to 7" isn't that beneficial. They have it priced right and it has potential for the same niche market that the Nook Color appealed to. Hopefully they release a 10" version at the right price. I imagine they are holding off until Ice Cream Sandwich though. Doesn't make a lot of sense to release a 10" Android tablet this late in HC's lifecycle.

I still love my rooted/overclocked Xoom but if a 10" Kindle releases, I will probably pick one up for my bf who is always taking my Xoom, lol.
    WGU PROGRESS

MS: Information Security & Assurance
    Start Date: December 2013
    undomiel wrote: »
    You can get the Amazon app store on an android device if you already have one: Amazon.com: Appstore for Android

I've been using it for a while for their free app of the day. Looks like you can also browse their apps online as well.

But that is just Amazon selling Andorid apps, much like they sell PSN codes. Those applications probably won't run on a Fire. I don't know the details of the OS, but its doubtful.
  • demonfurbiedemonfurbie Member Posts: 1,819
    im gonna wait until they hit retail stores so i can play with it first

hopefully its worth it, if not i hope it will drive the other 7in tablets down in price like the Samsung 7.7
    wgu undergrad: done ... woot!!
    WGU MS IT Management: done ... double woot :cheers:
  • petedudepetedude Member Posts: 1,510
    I'll pay for a good device, but I think they are all skimping on storage. Considering we cannot (typically) change out the battery, these things are being made to be disposable, and I have a problem buying into a disposable product such as this for the price.

If I understand correctly, the Acer Iconia has replaceable batteries. For $400, it may be the nicest consumer tablet made yet. . .
    $149/$199 was my price point, but now that many readers/tablets have come into that range, I'm still not real happy parting with that amount of money for what the device can do. And Apple is out of the realm at $500. It just isn't worth that much to me...$200, I may be interested, but not at $500+.

A similar thought to what I had. The Galaxy Tab was wayyy too expensive when it came out, no matter how nicely it stacks up against the iPad. I'm sure lots of other people share your sentiment, because they went crazy over HP Touchpads at $99. For my first real tab, I ended up with a Sylvania tablet at $99-- that was as much as I wanted to spend at the time (actually, that was as much as I could defend to my wife!!).
    Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there.
    --Will Rogers
  • NobylspoonNobylspoon Member Posts: 620 ■■■□□□□□□□
    But that is just Amazon selling Andorid apps, much like they sell PSN codes. Those applications probably won't run on a Fire. I don't know the details of the OS, but its doubtful.

It runs Gingerbread so the HC (tablet) apps will not be compatible. I would wait until the 2nd gen models are out (Ice Cream Sandwich). Gingerbread, like HC, is at the end of it's lifecycle.
    WGU PROGRESS

MS: Information Security & Assurance
    Start Date: December 2013
  • Mike-MikeMike-Mike Member Posts: 1,860
    If it drops to $150 I would jump on it, which I could see happening around Christmas time. This seems to be a Playbook killer to me.
    Currently Working On

CWTS, then WireShark
    Anyone have one of these and want to share an opinion?
  • chrisonechrisone Member Posts: 2,278 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Anyone have one of these and want to share an opinion?

I just purchased one, should be shipping out tomorrow on the 21st. I will give you guys my impression and compare it to the ipad which I also own.

Why I bought it in the first place? I dont like my ipad, 7 inch size seems right, flash support (no i am not waiting 2 or 3 more years for the internet to phase out flash and accommodate my ipad lol), $200 price tag, amazon cloud, nothing to lose. Plus I will probably end up selling my ipad first gen and get $300 minimum for it, $350 based on consistent ebay sales, another plus in this decision.

I am excited, hopefully I receive it no later than Friday :)

Edit: Also, they have already rooted the device, you can install android OS's. However everyone is waiting for the ICE Cream Sandwich OS to install on the Kindle Fire. I will wait to see how that turns out, I am sure it will be another big plus in this purchasing decision.
    You Can Root Your Kindle Fire Now
    Certs: CISSP, EnCE, OSCP, CRTP, eCTHPv2, eCPPT, eCIR, LFCS, CEH, SPLK-1002, SC-200, SC-300, AZ-900, AZ-500, VHL:Advanced+
    2023 Cert Goals: SC-100, eCPTX
    I tried one out at Best Buy and it is pretty cool, I couldnt replace my ipad with it since it just seems to not be a table replacement more a Kindle eink replacement. What I mean is it feels like its a device for somebody that does not have a tablet but wants to take a step up from their existing Kindle device. Really my big thing for my ipad is Goodreader and PDF files, ipad feels more roomy with the screen size for adding notes and highlighting.

I do want to replace my ipad with a Xoom eventually. Just have to take a realitic look at certain apps I consistently use to see if there are equivalents or alternatives.