Preparing for Network+ exam

MrSheenMrSheen Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi,

I've been studying for the Network+ exam for a couple of weeks now, and some of the information required I already know, which is somewhat a help.

As I near the end of reading the 4th edition All in one Network+ book by Mike Meyers, I need to work out what sort of extra study I should do before my exam on Monday afternoon.
I've done a bit of note taking during my reading which will help, but are there any cram guides I could use also? Also I'm really interested in gaining access to some Network+ practice exams, as many as possible even if I have to pay. I would like the hardest and closest to the Network+ exam as possible.

Thank you and any advice at all is greatly appreciated.

Comments

• N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    MrSheen wrote: »
    Hi,

I've been studying for the Network+ exam for a couple of weeks now, and some of the information required I already know, which is somewhat a help.

As I near the end of reading the 4th edition All in one Network+ book by Mike Meyers, I need to work out what sort of extra study I should do before my exam on Monday afternoon.
    I've done a bit of note taking during my reading which will help, but are there any cram guides I could use also? Also I'm really interested in gaining access to some Network+ practice exams, as many as possible even if I have to pay. I would like the hardest and closest to the Network+ exam as possible.

Thank you and any advice at all is greatly appreciated.

Sheen I would take a look at these videos from Professor Messer. They are totally free

Professor Messer's Free CompTIA Network+ Certification Training Course | Professor Messer - CompTIA A+, CompTIA Network+, Certification Training
  • MrSheenMrSheen Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
  • DevilryDevilry Member Posts: 668
    N2IT wrote: »

+1 on this, its a good thing to go through first and get a general grasp of things, then obviously there are some books listed on here that will get you a little more nitty gritty.
    Devilry wrote: »
    +1 on this, its a good thing to go through first and get a general grasp of things, then obviously there are some books listed on here that will get you a little more nitty gritty.

Excactly. Personally I would eventually take a look at all the videos. It's free and is broken down into manageable blocks of time. 20 mins etc

Obviously lock in on the ones you really want to do. I used his videos for A+ strictly, Network + with Mike Meyers book. I didn't watch his Security + video, I just read Darrell book. I did go through 70-680, that one is really awesome. If you get some time check out 70-680 it's very interesting. Really detailed, not so high level like the CompTIA's.
    Thanks again. Also any good online tests to take, would really like ones that are as close to the Network+ exam as possible.
    Thanks again. Also any good online tests to take, would really like ones that are as close to the Network+ exam as possible.

Found these
    CompTIA Network+ Certification Practice Questions

This one is from the CompTIA website. It will give you 10-20 questions I believe and these are the people who actually make the test.
    Exam Objectives
    I passed the CompTIA Network+ an hour ago. I was surprised to get 855 out of 900. I wont go through the exact types of questions on the exam, as CompTIA don't like that. But what I will say is that there were a lot of situational questions. These questions were sometimes hard to understand and sometimes had what I thought were multiple answers, but you have to choose the best answer to the problem if it only allows for one answer. So I suggest you analyse the question properly and take your time.

Preparing for the exam I suggest doing as many practice exams on the internet as possible, do this once you finish reading your text books and viewing any videos. Also write yourself up a good cram guide to read a few hours before the exam.

Now onto studying for my CompTIA CDIA+ (Certified Document Imaging Architect).

Thanks for the help.
  • DarrilDarril Member Posts: 1,588
    Congratulations. That's a great score. Good luck on the CDIA+.

Darril Gibson
    Security+ blog
  • joehalford01joehalford01 Member Posts: 364 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congrats! Practice exams helped me a-lot as well, it's easy to memorize the material but there are little bits and pieces you don't put together until you see an odd-ball question or two.
    I passed the CompTIA Network+ an hour ago. I was surprised to get 855 out of 900. I wont go through the exact types of questions on the exam, as CompTIA don't like that. But what I will say is that there were a lot of situational questions. These questions were sometimes hard to understand and sometimes had what I thought were multiple answers, but you have to choose the best answer to the problem if it only allows for one answer. So I suggest you analyse the question properly and take your time.

Preparing for the exam I suggest doing as many practice exams on the internet as possible, do this once you finish reading your text books and viewing any videos. Also write yourself up a good cram guide to read a few hours before the exam.

Now onto studying for my CompTIA CDIA+ (Certified Document Imaging Architect).

Thanks for the help.

Sheen let us know how the CDIA+ went. I am very interested in your results.

BTW Good luck
  • XeeNXeeN Member Posts: 40 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I will be studying for the Network+ exam soon.

I haven't purchased resources for it yet. CompTIA's site lists the Sybex books. Is there any major reason I should go with Mike Meyer's 4th Ed. vs the Pearson Network+ study guide vs. the Sybex deluxe study guide? They all seem very similar and all have complaints of inaccuracies by various readers. I was going to power through a book and watch Messer's videos.
  • Dakinggamer87Dakinggamer87 Member Posts: 4,016 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Congrats on pass!! icon_thumright.gif
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."

Certs/Business Licenses In Progress: AWS Solutions Architect, Series 6, Series 63
    XeeN wrote: »
    I will be studying for the Network+ exam soon.

I haven't purchased resources for it yet. CompTIA's site lists the Sybex books. Is there any major reason I should go with Mike Meyer's 4th Ed. vs the Pearson Network+ study guide vs. the Sybex deluxe study guide? They all seem very similar and all have complaints of inaccuracies by various readers. I was going to power through a book and watch Messer's videos.

Mike Meyers explains things very simply, so it was a joy to read his book. Though also do the Messer videos too, as I've heard good things.
    If you don't understand something an author writes, then google it. Thank God for the world wide web.
    N2IT wrote: »
    Sheen let us know how the CDIA+ went. I am very interested in your results.

BTW Good luck

Will do, I'm going to start within the next week. I've taken a few week rest from study. I plan to take the exam late November early December. But it all depends on how hard it is.

Thanks.
    Will do, I'm going to start within the next week. I've taken a few week rest from study. I plan to take the exam late November early December. But it all depends on how hard it is.

Thanks.

Good stuff Sheen keep us posted.
  • asoftasoft Member Posts: 74 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Have you taken any prep tests? Suggest that you take some prep tests from Proprof.com (free, but not all objectives are not covered well) or Boson/Transcender or others.
    Take a look at this cram notes. It's free.
    http://www.simulationexams.com/exam-cram/Networkplus-Notes.pdf
  • beingcertifiedbeingcertified Member Posts: 40 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I'm getting ready to take the Network + after just taking Security + this week and passing. I would love to hear what practice exams you thought were the best for Network +. Email me off list if you want to give me a list of good study materials! I want to be prepared for the exam! Thanks!
  • DDR11DDR11 Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hi. I am currently studying for the N+. When I did the A+ I read the Mike Meyers books and watched the videos, which were good, but after doing some practice tests I found I had to go to other sources to complete what I needed to know. I read Mike Meyers' All In One N+ 4th Edition book, which is well structured and informative, then took some practice tests and read a McGraw-Hill book by Glen E. Clarke. The second book filled significant gaps in Mike Meyers' book, but without it, Glen E. Clarke's book would have been harder to absorb. I intend reading Johan's Technotes from this site and I also have some Sybex material to read. There is a lot of information to absorb so repetition, multiple sources of traning material, including practice tests and videos, and knowing when to take a break works for me. Congrats Mr. Sheen Good Luck To All