Options

Best CCNP exam order?

JohnnyBigglesJohnnyBiggles Member Posts: 273
Just checked the FAQs but the info seems old & outdated. Any suggestions as to what order to go in for the 3 exams? Anyone taken the CCNP Security? What about those 4 exams? That's actually what I'm shooting for... but I might pursue the R&S CCNP first/instead...

Comments

• Options
    instant000instant000 Member Posts: 1,745
    Just checked the FAQs but the info seems old & outdated. Any suggestions as to what order to go in for the 3 exams? Anyone taken the CCNP Security? What about those 4 exams? That's actually what I'm shooting for... but I might pursue the R&S CCNP first/instead...

If you took CCNP:Security, I'd advise the SECURE first, as it's most like CCNA-Security. (you don't have that, and it is a pre-requisite).
    After that, probably Firewall, then VPN. I guess you could be ready for IDS at any moment, I only know one person who runs the Cisco IDS in production, and another guy who runs his in his home lab :D

As far as CCNP, TSHOOT Last (Though the video exam tutorial appears to make the actual test look easy.)
    After that, whichever one you are stronger in, ROUTE or SWITCH, do first. Some people say SWITCH first, if only because layer 2, before layer 3. But as there might be some layer 3 concepts in there, I'd advise ROUTE first, then SWITCH.
    Currently Working: CCIE R&S
    LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/lewislampkin (Please connect: Just say you're from TechExams.Net!)
  • Options
    Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
    instant000 wrote: »
    If you took CCNP:Security, I'd advise the SECURE first, as it's most like CCNA-Security. (you don't have that, and it is a pre-requisite).
    After that, probably Firewall, then VPN. I guess you could be ready for IDS at any moment, I only know one person who runs the Cisco IDS in production, and another guy who runs his in his home lab :D

As far as CCNP, TSHOOT Last (Though the video exam tutorial appears to make the actual test look easy.)
    After that, whichever one you are stronger in, ROUTE or SWITCH, do first. Some people say SWITCH first, if only because layer 2, before layer 3. But as there might be some layer 3 concepts in there, I'd advise ROUTE first, then SWITCH.

Hey instant do you know if it is over the IPS modules on the ASAs or the actual hardware appliances? I don't think they even sell the appliances anymore.

OP:

I think that instant is spot on. SECURE is like CCNA:S but less sexy, and a hell of alot more boring to study for. I am going for CCNP:S first because in the next few months I will roll out about 20 Asas and the network I work on is more tunnel heavy than routing protocol heavy so I almost never touch anything besides static routes. CCNP:R/S does give a good base of skills imo and if I were in another situation, I would go for it first. I would say pick up CCNA:S then go for CCNP then CCNP:S
  • Options
    NOC-NinjaNOC-Ninja Member Posts: 1,403

I did SWITCH > ROUTE > TSHOOT.
    1. Which part of networking are you working? Are you working at NOC right now?
    2. Is it an enterprise network?
    3. Which device are you better? Switch or Routers or Both?
    4. How long have you been working on Cisco gears?
  • Options
    ...I would say pick up CCNA:S then go for CCNP then CCNP:S

This is actually my plan.
    NOC-Ninja wrote: »
    I did SWITCH > ROUTE > TSHOOT.
    1. Which part of networking are you working? Are you working at NOC right now?
    2. Is it an enterprise network?
    3. Which device are you better? Switch or Routers or Both?
    4. How long have you been working on Cisco gears?

1. I'm not, and nope. In fact, I just got the CCNA (R&S) - passed the ICND2 today ( icon_cheers.gif ) so I'll be looking for some hardcore hands on experience. [I work on a network but my support/admin/engineering capabilities are SUPER limited... almost nil.. or in most cases are nil. I run a computer lab for elementary students.] If anyone here in the NY metro area can help, I'm all ears!

I used to work in a network environment years ago and kinda got put out around 9/11 (not quite because of 9/11, but that didn't help either), so I went back to school and ran into some other issues getting back into the field. So, I wanted to beef up the resume and actually get into something promising and challenging and now, here I am. I've been looking for a while to get back into the IT field, although I sort of am now, but no where near what I'd like to be doing, making what I should be making and doing what I'm capable of. Again, see the last sentence of my previous paragraph...lol.

2. N/A
    3. Hard to tell.... see above and #4
    4. I just started with Cisco this year. I have Client/Server experience, but it's from YEARS ago. So, I guess based on GNS3 and PT, less than a year? PT at least gives a much more realistic setup since you can easily configure hosts, switches, routers, cabling and other devices. I guess with a vivid imagination, it might count as experience...lol.
  • Options
    NOC-NinjaNOC-Ninja Member Posts: 1,403
    This is actually my plan.

1. I'm not, and nope. In fact, I just got the CCNA (R&S) - passed the ICND2 today ( icon_cheers.gif ) so I'll be looking for some hardcore hands on experience. [I work on a network but my support/admin/engineering capabilities are SUPER limited... almost nil.. or in most cases are nil. I run a computer lab for elementary students.] If anyone here in the NY metro area can help, I'm all ears!

I used to work in a network environment years ago and kinda got put out around 9/11 (not quite because of 9/11, but that didn't help either), so I went back to school and ran into some other issues getting back into the field. So, I wanted to beef up the resume and actually get into something promising and challenging and now, here I am. I've been looking for a while to get back into the IT field, although I sort of am now, but no where near what I'd like to be doing, making what I should be making and doing what I'm capable of. Again, see the last sentence of my previous paragraph...lol.

2. N/A
    3. Hard to tell.... see above and #4
    4. I just started with Cisco this year. I have Client/Server experience, but it's from YEARS ago. So, I guess based on GNS3 and PT, less than a year? PT at least gives a much more realistic setup since you can easily configure hosts, switches, routers, cabling and other devices. I guess with a vivid imagination, it might count as experience...lol.
    This is my opinion.

I say scratch your plan of CCNP and find a Network job ASAP. What I mean is a NOC job.
    Like all the Network Gurus here will say, the first priority is to have a Network experience. The point of CCNA is to get you an entry level networking job.

No, GNS3 and PT doesnt count. Why?
    1. Because there is no point having a CCNP if you cant even find a NOC/networking job.
    2. A CCNP without an NOC/networking experience will not help you at all. It will actually hurt you. Do you really think a Network Manager will hire a guy with CCNP without networking experience rather than a guy with CCNA that has a year or years of experience?
    3. A network manager will think this way. I wonder why this guy has a CCNP but he has no Networking experience?
    4. CCNA is wide. You have the foundation. Now if you get hired in a Enterprise Network, there will be things that you will see that CCNA or CCNP doesnt cover. Working on an Enterprise Network will help you connect all the dots and see the full view of networking.
    5. PT and GNS3 are not real hardware. There are things in the hardware that you will do that you cannot do in GNS3 or PT. Only guys that work NOC/networking or guys that have real hardware will understand this.

Goodluck
  • Options
    NOC-Ninja wrote: »
    This is my opinion.

I say scratch your plan of CCNP and find a Network job ASAP. What I mean is a NOC job.
    Like all the Network Gurus here will say, the first priority is to have a Network experience. The point of CCNA is to get you an entry level networking job.

No, GNS3 and PT doesnt count. Why?
    1. Because there is no point having a CCNP if you cant even find a NOC/networking job.
    2. A CCNP without an NOC/networking experience will not help you at all. It will actually hurt you. Do you really think a Network Manager will hire a guy with CCNP without networking experience rather than a guy with CCNA that has a year or years of experience?
    3. A network manager will think this way. I wonder why this guy has a CCNP but he has no Networking experience?
    4. CCNA is wide. You have the foundation. Now if you get hired in a Enterprise Network, there will be things that you will see that CCNA or CCNP doesnt cover. Working on an Enterprise Network will help you connect all the dots and see the full view of networking.
    5. PT and GNS3 are not real hardware. There are things in the hardware that you will do that you cannot do in GNS3 or PT. Only guys that work NOC/networking or guys that have real hardware will understand this.

Goodluck

I kind of figured all this and thanks for identifying it anyway. But I will continue studying, because:

1. Now that I have completed my CCNA, I can focus on getting that NOC job, and getting it immediately. My lifestyle requires that more than anything, so the job is 1st priority.
    2. Since Net Security work is my target, the CCNA:S is up next anyway, and I plan to put it on the resume as a work in progress, since I want employers to see that cert sooner than later so that I won't have to change jobs shortly after getting the CCNA:S (in the next few months) into something more security related, if that's at all possible anyway. Ideally, I'd like to score something where they see future potential rather than some employer calling it NOC and requiring a CCNA, but it ends up being some help desk BS.
    3. I don't expect to have the CCNP any sooner than this time next year, nor a CCNP based job until sometime after that. Hopefully by then, I will have had some decent NOC experience and later, a ready-to-go CCNP.