Taking ICND1 Tomorrow.. Sim question.

nastynate604nastynate604 Member Posts: 61 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hey All,

Doing my final preparations tonight for my ICND1 test tomorrow. Quick question. Are the majority of the questions in Multiple Choice / Select All That apply form? How many Sims should I expect and how much time should I spend on each of them? Are they worth more than the Multiple Choice type questions?

Thanks!

Comments

• CheesyBreadCheesyBread Member Posts: 99 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Sims are worth around 80 points, but partial credit is given.

I would suggest becoming very with "show cdp neighbors" and how to find out the interface and IP of neighboring devices.

Don't spend more than 10 minutes on a sim, you will probably only get one.
  • KrisAKrisA Member Posts: 142
    I just took it yesterday, If you have taken or looked at the tutorial you know all the types of questions.. It is a fair balance between them all.

Touchy because of the NDA, however.... if you can move through the CLI with ease, as in you know your commands, you wont have a problem at all with the sims and time won't be an issue. The test I felt moved smooth and I finished with 10:06 left

Don't stress yourself out and get good sleep and a good meal before.
    WGU Progress BSIT:NA | Current Term:1 | Transfered To-Do In Progress Completed
    EWB2 BAC1 BBC1 TSV1 WFV1 CLC1 LAE1 LUT1 LAT1 AXV1 TTV1 INC1 INT1 TPV1 SST1 SSC1 GAC1 HHT1 TNV1 QLT1 BOV1 LET1 ORC1 IWC1 IWT1 MGC1 ABV1 AHV1 AJV1 TWA1 CPW2 BRV1
    Currently Reading
    Darril Book
  • nastynate604nastynate604 Member Posts: 61 ■■□□□□□□□□
    KrisA wrote: »
    I just took it yesterday, If you have taken or looked at the tutorial you know all the types of questions.. It is a fair balance between them all.

Touchy because of the NDA, however.... if you can move through the CLI with ease, as in you know your commands, you wont have a problem at all with the sims and time won't be an issue. The test I felt moved smooth and I finished with 10:06 left

Don't stress yourself out and get good sleep and a good meal before.

Thanks. Yeah I know my commands pretty well. Just wondering if they get really down to the nitty gritty with the commands or if they just want you to know the most commonly used commands and their basic configurations.. Cheers.
  • gosh1976gosh1976 Member Posts: 441
    I would say my two biggest issues with the ICND1 were that I should have known how to interpret some of the show commands a little better. I don't think I missed any questions because of it but I wasn't confident in a few answers. Other than that I rushed through worried about time and worried I would get a hard sim or simlet at the end and ended up having a ton of time at the end. Others have run out of time. So just be mindful of your time management.
  • seansdseansd Member Posts: 13 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I suddenly had 10 thumbs while typing, and had to erase and retype the commands. Just make good use of the scratch pad
    seansd wrote: »
    I suddenly had 10 thumbs while typing, and had to erase and retype the commands. Just make good use of the scratch pad

LOL Will do. Just Curious.. When doing a Sim, I'm assuming that they are going to ask you to type a series of commands to get a certain result. Is the test smart enough to weed through all of the mistakes you've made until reaching the final correct answer? For example. Let's say it is asking me to set an ip address on Interface FastEthernet 0/0 and let's say I type:

Router>int fa 0/0

But I forget to go into privileged mode and then global configuration mode. Obviously it will give me an error message when I type that first command. Then I go ahead and type in:

Router>en
    Router#config t
    Router(config)#int fa 0/0
    Router(config-if)#ip address 192.168.10.1 255.255.255.0
    Router(config-if)#no shutdown

Will the Sim be smart enough to recognize the mistake I made at the beginning and then realize that I entered the right information afterwards?
  • KrisAKrisA Member Posts: 142
    Will the Sim be smart enough to recognize the mistake I made at the beginning and then realize that I entered the right information afterwards?

I can not say it with 100% knowledge that it doesn't but my understanding is that it is the end result - Hence the "Next" and Confirmation that it is your answer.. as seen on the tut. ..

Commands that find information for you are what you need.
    WGU Progress BSIT:NA | Current Term:1 | Transfered To-Do In Progress Completed
    EWB2 BAC1 BBC1 TSV1 WFV1 CLC1 LAE1 LUT1 LAT1 AXV1 TTV1 INC1 INT1 TPV1 SST1 SSC1 GAC1 HHT1 TNV1 QLT1 BOV1 LET1 ORC1 IWC1 IWT1 MGC1 ABV1 AHV1 AJV1 TWA1 CPW2 BRV1
    Currently Reading
    Darril Book
  • Steveg31Steveg31 Member Posts: 29 ■□□□□□□□□□
    The simulations aren't necessarily looking at or for the commands you are typing, but the end result of everything you're typing in. So as long as the configuration matches what the question is asking of you, I'm pretty sure you'll be ok.
  • asoftasoft Member Posts: 74 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Though ICND1 is relatively easier than CCNA, it would be hard to pass without answering simulation questions. Try to have hands-on practice such questions so that the same may be answered in reasonable time. ( for a candidates without prior hands-on practice, simulation questions take lot of time)

Have you practiced using any netsim such as Boson or CertExams Netsim for CCENT?

Wish you good luck!

PS: You can check out Network Simulator: Available Router Labs.
    I've done some labs using Cisco Packet tracer. I also have a 2600XM router and a 2950 Catalyst Switch in my home lab. Unfortunately I ran out of money and couldn't buy any more NM's for the router so I was basically stuck learning the config commands on it but unable to see if it is actually working or not. :) I think I've got most of the commands down. Question during the Sims, do they allow you to use the '?' command to get help while you are typing in the commands?