Job Titles Run a Muck?

the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
I was interested to get peoples opinion on job titles and how useful they really are. The reason I ask is because this is now the second company that I have been in where job titles are somewhat meaningless, but also considered important. Allow me to explain, at my last company I was hired as an IT Tech. After a few months and seeing what I was truly doing, I requested that I change my title to Systems Engineer. My bosses boss looked up the title and felt that it wasn't right for my position, stating the company preferred that I keep my current title. I was ticked, but thought nothing more about it. A few months later I was speaking to the lady who had been with the company for 20+ years and worked in the IT Department. She knew the old ERP system very well, but that was about it. So as we are talking, she says how the company didn't care about job titles so when they asked her what she wanted her title to be she said IT Manager because it sounded important. Kinda burned me a bit, but I left shortly after so I figured this was a one time deal.

At my current company job titles switch it seems almost daily and every new hire is given a different title. I was on the helpdesk from day one, but since I was a NOC person as well they made my title NOC/Helpdesk Technician. Guys hired a few months before me were given the title of Helpdesk Engineer. Our Network Engineers and Senior Engineers all use the Systems Engineer title. Again I am starting to get the feeling that the work I do puts me more into the System Admin/Systems Engineer area and I find more companies use those titles opposed to the homegrown one I have now. The other reason it came up is the change in a sales persons title to Presales Engineer. Now, when you look at what is required of that job it is a order taking type position. They'll provide a quote for Desktops/Servers/Network equipment, but after a Systems Engineer reviews what the customer wants and tells them what would fit that requirement (this desktop, that switch/router, or this server).

Am I only only one who thinks about this? Obviously, you're resume should display what you do and what knowledge you have, but I feel the title is at least a little important as well....
WIP:
PHP
Kotlin
Intro to Discrete Math
Programming Languages
Work stuff
Failed to load the poll.

Comments

• earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    A lot of places give out different titles for the same jobs and it can sometimes irritate some people. When you're not sure exactly what to enter on your resume or at least feel that your job should be described as something besides what your official title was.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
    They do matter especially to HR drones. When I was on the helpdesk, I couldn't get a recruiter to get past the fact that I may actually want to get a different job (and not another helpdesk job). I caught a lucky break and got a Noc Tech job (with that title). That helped me get the recruiters to see that I was seriously about getting into an "engineering" role. Then after that, I got a network security admin job (with that title) and now a network engineer job (with that title). I am now getting contacted about network engineering or admin jobs and not helpdesk jobs. I know the recruiters only skim over my resume/linked profile so in order to reel them in (even before you can tell them about your skilset and experience), titles help. Since most of them are just searching (insert jobs site here) for titles, they can be the difference between getting a hit and not getting one.
  • jamesp1983jamesp1983 Member Posts: 2,475 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I think they do matter to a point, but I feel like companies muddy the waters by calling anyone who deals with servers or network equipment a network engineer. I can't tell you how many times I've opened a posting on Dice, CareerBuilder, etc labeled network engineer and it's deploying/supporting PCs/servers. I feel like that should be titled system admin, or server admin. This only serves to further confuse management and recruiters.
    "Check both the destination and return path when a route fails." "Switches create a network. Routers connect networks."
  • shodownshodown Member Posts: 2,271
    It matters externally when dealing with other people, but you can get found out pretty quickly. I've deal with to many Sr Engineers who don't know squat, but I dealt with a Telecommunications Technician who could build a global dial plan in call mananger. Also when you are working on your resume you may have a title that is miss leading, but thats what you have the description for to actually say what your duties are.
    Currently Reading

CUCM SRND 9x/10, UCCX SRND 10x, QOS SRND, SIP Trunking Guide, anything contact center related
  • Heny '06Heny '06 Member Posts: 107
    Matters when it comes to the $$$$$, certain titles command certain salaries. IT Tech's pay wouldn't be close to a Network Engineer or Admin or even tech(well may be a tech).
  • MrRyteMrRyte Member Posts: 347 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I have to agree. When looking through job openings there is a glaring inconsistency between IT job titles and job duties.
    Then again; given the ever-evolving landscape of IT (and the ever-expanding duties of IT staff), it's no surprise that a lot of companies are looking for a JOAT.

Personally I could care less about the job title as long as I'm being properly paid for the duties that I'm expected to perform.
    NEXT UP: CompTIA Security+ :study:

Life is a matter of choice not chance. The path to your destiny will be paved by the decisions that you make every day.
  • HypntickHypntick Member Posts: 1,451 ■■■■■■□□□□
    jamesp1983 wrote: »
    I think they do matter to a point, but I feel like companies muddy the waters by calling anyone who deals with servers or network equipment a network engineer. I can't tell you how many times I've opened a posting on Dice, CareerBuilder, etc labeled network engineer and it's deploying/supporting PCs/servers. I feel like that should be titled system admin, or server admin. This only serves to further confuse management and recruiters.

I'm with you there. My title is Network Engineer, however it's a lot closer to Systems Admin type work. Not that i'm complaining, I enjoy the title but it is a bit misleading for what I really do.
    WGU BS:IT Completed June 30th 2012.
    WGU MS:ISA Completed October 30th 2013.
  • tpatt100tpatt100 Member Posts: 2,991 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I want my title to be "Chuck Norris Karate Komando". or "Level 85 Tauren Fury Warrior".