Issue with Packet Tracer and running certain commands

JockVSJockJockVSJock Member Posts: 1,118
Greetings, I'm using Packet Tracer v5.3.1 with IOS v12.2.

I am trying to set a MOTD on 2960 Switch and also set it up for SSH, am I not able to do this for a Cisco switch? I tried doing this on a 2811 router and it worked fine. Here are the commands:
cisco_sw1#conf t
Enter configuration commands, one per line.  End with CNTL/Z.
cisco_sw1(config)#banner login # 2 years trying to get ccna #
                         ^
% Invalid input detected at '^' marker.

cisco_sw1(config)#ip domain-name foo.com
                            ^
% Invalid input detected at '^' marker.

I'm new to Packet Tracer, and have seen a few threads that it could be buggy.

thanks
***Freedom of Speech, Just Watch What You Say*** Example, Beware of CompTIA Certs (Deleted From Google Cached)

"Its easier to deceive the masses then to convince the masses that they have been deceived."
-unknown

Comments

• QHaloQHalo Member Posts: 1,488
    Bug/not available/etc. Just wait, you'll fine more. It's a decent product but no where near a complete IOS copy.
  • Timber WolfTimber Wolf Member Posts: 90 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Not all the commands are available on all the devices. I just checked and looks like there is no banner login on the 2960 switch but it should be an available command on the routers.
    WGU BS IT - Security
    Need to complete: CSV1 BOV1 RIT1 BNC1 KET1 TPV1 MGC1 CJV1 KFT1 CNV1 SBT1 RGT1
    Completed: CUV1 CTV1
    Transferred: CVV1 DJV1 IWT1 IWC1 BVC1 QLT1 DHV1 HHT1 GAC1 DFV1 INT1 INC1 CPV1 AXV1 QBT1 LUT1 LAE1 CLC1 BBC1 AGC1 WFV1 CQV1 COV1
  • alan2308alan2308 Member Posts: 1,854 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Before you give up on a feature in PT, try it on a different device. There's a few things that are supported on one device but not another.
  • MrXpertMrXpert Member Posts: 586 ■■■□□□□□□□
    The login and motd commands are only available on the routers in packet tracer.
    The only banner command that can be used on switches in packet tracer is the motd one.
    Other commands such as show interfaces status and show interfaces description are also missing I think.(at least in my version)
    I'm an Xpert at nothing apart from remembering useless information that nobody else cares about.
  • JockVSJockJockVSJock Member Posts: 1,118
    MrXpert wrote: »
    The login and motd commands are only available on the routers in packet tracer.
    The only banner command that can be used on switches in packet tracer is the motd one.
    Other commands such as show interfaces status and show interfaces description are also missing I think.(at least in my version)

Looks like motd works for switches and not login, I have no idea why? Why they both work for the router, I have no idea either.
    cisco_sw1(config)#banner ?
      motd  Set Message of the Day banner

***Freedom of Speech, Just Watch What You Say*** Example, Beware of CompTIA Certs (Deleted From Google Cached)

"Its easier to deceive the masses then to convince the masses that they have been deceived."
    -unknown