Exercise (running)

thehourmanthehourman Member Posts: 723
Do you guys run?
Are you a morning or pm runner?
Is it bad to take a shower after you run? When I was a kid, a friend of mine told me that I should rest first at least 30 minutes then take a shower.
I am not sure if I'm going to run at night or morning.
Studying:
Working on CCNA: Security. Start date: 12.28.10
Microsoft 70-640 - on hold (This is not taking me anywhere. I started this in October, and it is December now, I am still on page 221. WTH!)
Reading:
Network Warrior - Currently at Part II
Reading IPv6 Essentials 2nd Edition - on hold

Comments

• jmreichajmreicha Member Posts: 78 ■■□□□□□□□□
    That's really all up to you man, what fits your schedule best? Running in the morning will give you more energy during the day but it all comes down to your schedule and what works the best for you.

I personally run in the evening because I am bad at waking up in the morning and the only consistent way I can get myself to run is in the evenings but it really comes down to preference.
  • advanex1advanex1 Member Posts: 365 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I run - about 30-40 miles a week. I'm a morning runner, I'm up at 0430 every morning. A typical day would be atleast 6 miles and upwards to 13, depending on how I feel decides how fast I go. Yes, I take a shower after, I've never heard of why you should or shouldn't... that sounds silly. Running sucks while you're doing it, but it's great when you're done.
    Currently Reading: CISM: All-in-One
    New Blog: https://jpinit.com/blog
  • mochaaddictmochaaddict Member Posts: 42 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I remember hearing that same advice. I believe the thought process was to give your body a bit of time to cool down. I typically walk about 10 minutes after a nice evening jog then lift a little then hit the shower.
  • the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Been running for three weeks now and I do it when I wake up (work at night so that is around 4 pm). Whatever allows you to stick to it is all that matters.
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • undomielundomiel Member Posts: 2,818
    Used to be a morning runner and was in the middle of training for my first marathon when work went topsy turvy and had to field a bunch of 2-3 am calls. A year later and I'm still recovering from that, finally gave up trying to be a morning runner and have taken to evenings. I liked the mornings better since there were less rude people driving about. It hurts to have change propelled at you at about 30 mph. But it is much easier for me to control my evening schedule than my morning schedule. Plus then I can get my wife out running with me and she's not a morning person. Never heard that bit about the shower, I've always showered immediately after I finish stretching out back from my run.
    Jumping on the IT blogging band wagon -- http://www.jefferyland.com/
  • thehourmanthehourman Member Posts: 723
    I ran this morning around 5:20AM. According to the app that I used, I ran 1.34 miles, and it took me 00:22:41 to get back home. I also burned 152kcal that's what the app said :). It was cold too this morning, but that did not stop me.
    I think I will be running in the morning; but when I get home, I was so tired and got a headache probably because this is the time I ran.

Do you guys use any phone apps to track your running activities? I was using the Android app Endomondo.
    Studying:
    Microsoft 70-640 - on hold (This is not taking me anywhere. I started this in October, and it is December now, I am still on page 221. WTH!)
    Reading:
  • undomielundomiel Member Posts: 2,818
    No phone apps but I do use a Garmin FR410 with SportTracks. The wife got it for me a couple weeks back and I'm absolutely loving it so far.
    Jumping on the IT blogging band wagon -- http://www.jefferyland.com/
  • advanex1advanex1 Member Posts: 365 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I actually have a Garmin Forerunner 305.
    Currently Reading: CISM: All-in-One
    New Blog: https://jpinit.com/blog
  • ArmymanisArmymanis Member Posts: 304
    I do not excerise at all. Which is probably bad. I do weigh only 120lbs so I am in no hurry to start exercising again.
  • thehourmanthehourman Member Posts: 723
    One of my goal is to lose weight. I am about 155lbs now. It is really hard to avoid fast food restaurant at lunch time.
    Studying:
    Reading:
  • MrRyteMrRyte Member Posts: 347 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I run for at least 4 miles. I'm constantly trying to do it in less time (my best was 45 mins, but that's when I was pissed off at something that happened at work that day.....)
    I also do 2x45 pushups, 2x15 pullups and 2x50 situps though not every night. I'm determined to never let myself become one of those lazy and morbidly obese people that make every excuse in the world to avoid working out.
    NEXT UP: CompTIA Security+ :study:

Life is a matter of choice not chance. The path to your destiny will be paved by the decisions that you make every day.
  • RomBUSRomBUS Member Posts: 699 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I do PM exercise everyday except Friday and Sunday
  • nicklauscombsnicklauscombs Member Posts: 885
    i run somewhere between forty-five minutes and an hour and a half per day usually six days a week. afternoon runner as i work a twelve hour night shift.
    WIP: IPS exam
  • DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I love a morning jog, but I can never drag my butt out of bed any earlier than I already am. So I guess that makes me a PM runner. I never heard the shower thing, but there could be some truth to it. The heat from the shower could do some circulation things, but as long as you aren't training for a marathon or something it likely isn't going to cause serious problems.

Personally I wouldn't want to jump into the shower after a run anyway, would at least need some time to walk a cooldown, grab a chair, and drink some water.
    Decide what to be and go be it.
  • MrRyteMrRyte Member Posts: 347 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I've googled the shower thing and haven't come across anything concrete that says it's not wise to shower right after a run. How exactly does a lukewarm/cool shower negatively affect the body after a workout?
    NEXT UP: CompTIA Security+ :study:

Life is a matter of choice not chance. The path to your destiny will be paved by the decisions that you make every day.
  • VAHokie56VAHokie56 Member Posts: 783
    thehourman wrote: »
    I ran this morning around 5:20AM. According to the app that I used, I ran 1.34 miles, and it took me 00:22:41 to get back home. I also burned 152kcal that's what the app said :). It was cold too this morning, but that did not stop me.
    I think I will be running in the morning; but when I get home, I was so tired and got a headache probably because this is the time I ran.

Do you guys use any phone apps to track your running activities? I was using the Android app Endomondo.

I use "ImapMyrun" on my droid. Its pretty cool tells you how far you ran and your average speed and how fast your miles are oh and it uses Google maps and shows you the route you completed. All for free!

I typically run twice a week 3 miles each time, good enough for me because I am on a bulk diet and don't really want a lot of weight loss right now. Never heard of the shower thing...but I do a cool down walk for like 10 minutes after I run and then go inside have a water and jump in the shower
    .ιlι..ιlι.
    CISCO
    "A flute without holes, is not a flute. A donut without a hole, is a Danish" - Ty Webb
    Reading:NX-OS and Cisco Nexus Switching: Next-Generation Data Center Architectures
  • cxzar20cxzar20 Member Posts: 168
    I go to the gym every day after work, feels great after a long day of sitting and working on a computer. I have never heard of a shower adversely affecting your body after a work out. Many times I will use the hot tub after my lifting days, otherwise I just shower right after.