Options

So My life is pretty much awesome

ArmymanisArmymanis Member Posts: 304
Got a job in I.T. and found the joy in being in clans on computer games!!! Playing Battlefield: Bad Company 2 almost every night with my clan buddies and having awesome conversations is the best! :) Going to school Monday-Thursday and Working Help Desk Friday-Sunday. Man oh man! I love my life right now :) PC gaming and the IT world has changed it forever :) After I finish school all I will do is game and be on help desk :):):)

Comments

• Options
    the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Byte me! (j/k) Nice to see things going someones way, enjoy it sounds like it is well deserved!
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • Options
    jakecitrixjakecitrix Banned Posts: 76 ■■□□□□□□□□
    thats good to hear, keep enjoying but do not lose focus.
  • Options
    EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Without being rude or anything and offering friendly advice, you should some of the spare time to study for certs rather than waste it on games and stuff or you might end up doing helpdesk for years. Work and study hard now and reap the benefits later. Be social for sure but use your time wisely. Use your younger years wisely.
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Blog >> http://virtual10.com
  • Options
    VAHokie56VAHokie56 Member Posts: 783
    Armymanis wrote: »
    Got a job in I.T. and found the joy in being in clans on computer games!!! Playing Battlefield: Bad Company 2 almost every night with my clan buddies and having awesome conversations is the best! :) Going to school Monday-Thursday and Working Help Desk Friday-Sunday. Man oh man! I love my life right now :) PC gaming and the IT world has changed it forever :) After I finish school all I will do is game and be on help desk :):):)

I played WoW and counter strike like it was going out of style back in like 2008 & 2009. I was working help desk and studying for A+ and boy oh boy was it hard to tear away from those games. You may find however ( like I did ) when it came to studying for a bit harder cert like the CCNA you have to take drastic measures...I had to uninstall those games from my HD icon_sad.gif and take all the CD's out to my parents house 4 county's away so I would not be tempted to reinstall. After that I buckled down got the cert and increased my salary more then double...well worth it. Sounds like you are having fun, more power to that! just remember when you really want to buckle down and hit the books, get rid of those evil seductive games!

P.S
    I have never reinstalled WoW since...

P.P.S
    OK I did reinstall CS and I still MERC the piss out of people from time to time!
    .ιlι..ιlι.
    CISCO
    "A flute without holes, is not a flute. A donut without a hole, is a Danish" - Ty Webb
    Reading:NX-OS and Cisco Nexus Switching: Next-Generation Data Center Architectures
  • Options
    jamesleecolemanjamesleecoleman Member Posts: 1,899 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Thats great!! I don't know how you can fit time in for games though. I barely play SC2 anymore.
    Booya!!
    WIP : | CISSP [2018] | CISA [2018] | CAPM [2018] | eCPPT [2018] | CRISC [2019] | TORFL (TRKI) B1 | Learning: | Russian | Farsi |
    *****You can fail a test a bunch of times but what matters is that if you fail to give up or not*****
  • Options
    rwmidlrwmidl Member Posts: 807 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Until a girl comes along (as illustrated by The Oatmeal): What It's Like to Play Online Games as a Grownup
    CISSP | CISM | ACSS | ACIS | MCSA:2008 | MCITP:SA | MCSE:Security | MCSA:Security | Security + | MCTS
  • Options
    tbgree00tbgree00 Member Posts: 553 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I have to agree with the people warning you about too much gameplay in your life. Helpdesks are a good place to start but in order to keep thinking your life is awesome you will have to find a good balance. Depending on your work hours and your play hours you may burn out or get frustrated at being restricted to where you are.

Make sure that you take enough time to sleep and get quality sleep so that you are effective on the job. As a member of the team here nothing annoys me more than when my co-workers were up too late to effectively take their calls. Sleep is essential if you want to thrive in life. Once you're out of college you'll have to adapt. I almost lost a job right out of college because I was playing WoW until 3 or 4 AM and going in at 8am. I matured, started taking work seriously, and was promoted less than a year later.

Second you should devote at least half the amount of time you spend gaming to finding your nitche and learning about it. Read about security, cisco, vmware, citrix, microsoft apps, programing, anything you can. Take a few entry level certs in relevent fields to what you support. Learning isn't always studying, you can go far reading tech news until something jumps out at you. I know it makes me sound like a square but you'll regret less in three years if you put a little effort into it now.
    I finally started that blog - www.thomgreene.com
  • Options
    I will be getting my AA in Technical Support in 3 months time. I only have 1 class to finish up and then its off for my Bachelors and I will be working at the help desk and playing video games while doing my bachelors. :)
  • Options
    EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Man do you ever read the helpful advice people post for you? Just read your response again, relevant to the advice that was posted? It's almost like it's pointless to give advice to you.
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Blog >> http://virtual10.com
  • Options
    mikedisd2mikedisd2 Member Posts: 1,096 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Dude, skydiving is awesome, exploring the Incas is awesome, getting a black belt in ninjitsu is awesome.

Video games...? icon_scratch.gif
  • Options
    Forsaken_GAForsaken_GA Member Posts: 4,024
    rwmidl wrote: »
    Until a girl comes along (as illustrated by The Oatmeal): What It's Like to Play Online Games as a Grownup

Of course, you could hit the jackpot and find a girl who likes to game too!
  • Options
    Forsaken_GAForsaken_GA Member Posts: 4,024
    Essendon wrote: »
    Man do you ever read the helpful advice people post for you? Just read your response again, relevant to the advice that was posted? It's almost like it's pointless to give advice to you.

He's young, he's enjoying life, and he's working while going to school. Video games are not a horrible way to spend your downtime in that situation, as long as it doesn't become your life.

If he is an addict, and he's not willing to admit it, then yes, it's pointless to give him advice. I was young and dumb and thought I knew everything once too, and I wish I'd listened to the people who told me not to do the stuff I did. It wasn't until life gave me the context to understand that advice that I considered it good advice. So goes most of our youth :)
  • Options
    genXrcistgenXrcist Member Posts: 531
    This OP didn't ask for advise so why is it being given? Advice should never be given unless it's asked for, it's often misconstrued as a sign of arrogance and more often than not leads to resentment. At that point you have the opposite of the intended affect.

Advice should only be given when you have built trust with that person and they have sought you out....imo
    1) CCNP Goal: by August 2012
  • Options
    ZachBZachB Member Posts: 37 ■■□□□□□□□□
    After I finish school all I will do is game and be on help desk :):):)

No offense, but that sounds like you have no ambition and are lazy. HelpDesk is a good place to start - not a career. Take the spare time and study and get valuable certs. Put in extra time at work and move up in life. Make more money. Then you can have better toys :) Gaming is fun and all and a good way to relieve stress once in a while but it's not life.
    Currently working on:
    CISSP
    MSFT 70-417
    CCNA
  • Options
    SteveO86SteveO86 Member Posts: 1,423
    That was me years ago when I first got into IT, boy those were the days... It's funny how my priorities and thought process has shifted since then.

Enjoy these days!

(And advance your career when you can)
    My Networking blog
    Latest blog post: Let's review EIGRP Named Mode
    Currently Studying: CCNP: Wireless - IUWMS
  • Options
    computer g33kcomputer g33k Member Posts: 149
    I think everyone should give the guy a break. If he just wants to do help desk and play video games then so be it. Just because someone doesn't want to move up doesn't make them lazy, maybe they're just content doing entry level work. Also, we don't know if he has intentions of moving up.
    There's room for those who want the easy work and those who want the challenges. You will, of course, generally be compensated in proportion to what you shoulder. :smile:
    Currently Studying: Anything & Everything/Cisco Networking Academy For CCNA. (on hold)
  • Options
    CodeBloxCodeBlox Member Posts: 1,363 ■■■■□□□□□□
    This is my first IT job on a helpdesk too and I do my fair share of gaming. I've been there 4 months and am ready to move the heck on. I give you about half a year and you will probably be saying the same thing.
    Currently reading: Network Warrior, Unix Network Programming by Richard Stevens
  • Options
    white96gtwhite96gt Member Posts: 26 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I think everyone should give the guy a break. If he just wants to do help desk and play video games then so be it. Just because someone doesn't want to move up doesn't make them lazy, maybe they're just content doing entry level work. Also, we don't know if he has intentions of moving up.

That is a great point. Not everyone needs to move up the ladder. Some people sound like they are addicted
    to studying and acquiring certificates. You should put time into learning, but if that is all you do, it can be
    seen as an addiction. Just like some people are saying about video games. If you’re enjoying your life then that is all that matters.
  • Options
    PsoasmanPsoasman Member Posts: 2,687 ■■■■■■■■■□

Good for you, having fun!
  • Options
    I may move up in the help desk environment as a help desk lead but other then that i dont think i want to. This job is pretty awesome. :)
  • Options
    CodeBloxCodeBlox Member Posts: 1,363 ■■■■□□□□□□
    white96gt wrote: »
    That is a great point. Not everyone needs to move up the ladder. Some people sound like they are addicted
    to studying and acquiring certificates. You should put time into learning, but if that is all you do, it can be
    seen as an addiction. Just like some people are saying about video games. If you’re enjoying your life then that is all that matters.
    I think their thinking was simply, work hard play later. But the OP sounds pretty happy with life, and that should be all that matters.
    Currently reading: Network Warrior, Unix Network Programming by Richard Stevens
  • Options
    TackleTackle Member Posts: 534
    Glad you enjoy what you are doing!

Do what makes you happy, not what would make other people happy. This way I have one less person to compete with for higher level jobs!
  • Options
    TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□
    LucasMN wrote: »
    Glad you enjoy what you are doing!

Do what makes you happy, not what would make other people happy. This way I have one less person to compete with for higher level jobs!

Correct. Leave this young man alone. Let him close tickets at work and play games every evening and weekend for the next 3 - 5 years. He has time on his side.
  • Options
    Dakinggamer87Dakinggamer87 Member Posts: 4,016 ■■■■■■■■□□

Enjoy the gaming!! icon_thumright.gif
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."

Certs/Business Licenses In Progress: AWS Solutions Architect, Series 6, Series 63
  • Options
    AhriakinAhriakin Member Posts: 1,799 ■■■■■■■■□□
    <--- Avid gamer...and obvious slacker :)

Why work so hard to get away from the things you enjoy? Balance, it's all about balance. Anything worth earning is because it improves your life and that element is different for everyone (Yup - one nice side effect of moving up the career ladder is I can build better gaming rigs...so shoot me (if you can n00bs icon_lol.gif) )
    We responded to the Year 2000 issue with "Y2K" solutions...isn't this the kind of thinking that got us into trouble in the first place?
  • Options
    Ahriakin wrote: »
    <--- Avid gamer...and obvious slacker :)

Why work so hard to get away from the things you enjoy? Balance, it's all about balance. Anything worth earning is because it improves your life and that element is different for everyone (Yup - one nice side effect of moving up the career ladder is I can build better gaming rigs...so shoot me (if you can n00bs icon_lol.gif) )

Well dam there is your proof...if you can rack up as many certs as this dude and still game you are doing fine!
    .ιlι..ιlι.
    CISCO
    "A flute without holes, is not a flute. A donut without a hole, is a Danish" - Ty Webb
    Reading:NX-OS and Cisco Nexus Switching: Next-Generation Data Center Architectures
  • Options
    lsud00dlsud00d Member Posts: 1,571
    The PROBLEM is not the gaming persay, but the type of game...MMORPG's!!! They are the devils game.

FPS's, RTS's, hybrids (like LoL) that are round based do not devour your life...I'm an avid gamer as well...just built a new PC for BF3 a month ago, kicking ass on CS since 1998...they are easy to toss in the mix and still get stuff done.

JUST SAY NO TO MMORPGS icon_twisted.gif
  • Options
    Love me some counter strike....

I remember playing JK2 on the MSN gaming ZONE back in 1997 ...boy those where awesome times...
    .ιlι..ιlι.
    CISCO
  • Options
    DevilWAHDevilWAH Member Posts: 2,997 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Yeo its not the destination thats important but what you do on he jorney on the way that counts. Work hard play later?? when exactly is later??

you cant work 24/7 people need a hobby to get away from it all, if gaming is your hobby good for you.
    • If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. Albert Einstein
    • An arrow can only be shot by pulling it backward. So when life is dragging you back with difficulties. It means that its going to launch you into something great. So just focus and keep aiming.
  • Options
    Excellent1Excellent1 Member Posts: 462 ■■■■■■■□□□
    I think the problem with MMORPG's is that certain types of people (such as those known to frequent certification forums) have a certain personality profile. I.e., we hate doing things [EMAIL="half-@ssed&quot;]half-@ssed[/EMAIL]. When you have that type of mindset and want to have the best gear / best raiding guild / best whatever, you end up being swallowed by the monolithic time sinks required by such games.

I used to raid in EQ (back when dinosaurs roamed the earth) and I had a rogue that was top 3 across all servers. I sat down one night and analyzed the amount of time I was spending daily to raid, and I decided then and there that it was a ridiculous resource drain. For everyone, regardless of how much money you have, your time is your most valuable resource. Entertainment and relaxation is absolutely important, but some games become more of a job than a game, so at that point your time is better spent elsewhere. Obviously just my opinion. :)