CCIE Voice - On Hold permanently

KelkinKelkin Member Posts: 261 ■■■□□□□□□□
My goals of achieving CCIE Voice is on hold permanently.. this past 1.5 - 2 years have been a long string of bad luck .. I finally came to terms with it and had to sell off my voice lab gear..

Somethings are just more important.. especially with a wifey and kiddies in the picture..

Comments

• reaper81reaper81 Member Posts: 631
    Ouch, sorry to hear that. But family comes first. There will come a time when you can focus on the IE again.
    Daniel Dib
    CCIE #37149
  • KelkinKelkin Member Posts: 261 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Extactly.. Im now more in a R/S & Data Center role so I might just hit CCNP and decide from there.. :)
  • kerxkerx Member Posts: 38 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Kelkin wrote: »
    Extactly.. Im now more in a R/S & Data Center role so I might just hit CCNP and decide from there.. :)

Kelkin, sorry to hear that, but sometimes things just work out in weird ways. Even though you've sold your equipment, still doesn't mean you can't watch a video here and there, read a few pages, etc. Also, I spoke to someone in the Voice industry, and they told me to go after the IE R&S before the Voice, because the foundation in the R&S will set you up very successfully in real-life environments. I understand what he said, but I believe if you are dedicated to Voice, a CCNP R&S will be enough.

Good luck, and best regards!
  • CCIEWANNABECCIEWANNABE Banned Posts: 465
    I understand exactly where you are coming from. I have two kids of my own and I really don't want to pass up this time while they are young. There's just too many other important things in life and like others have said, there will be a time that will allow you to study more.

I can't even imagine going CCIE-Voice, Voice is a beast and just doing CCNP Voice made my head hurt. Voice changes sooo fast that in 5 years from now alot of the Voice apps will be obsolete or replaced by something else.

Have fun relaxing with the Kids and Wife, they are definitely more important than SRST :)
  • TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□
    My goals of achieving CCIE Voice is on hold permanently.. this past 1.5 - 2 years have been a long string of bad luck .. I finally came to terms with it and had to sell off my voice lab gear..

Somethings are just more important.. especially with a wifey and kiddies in the picture..

Totally understand. There is a good reason why my study thread is so old.
  • pitviperpitviper Member Posts: 1,376 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Sorry to hear man, but the others are correct – You have to cover the more important things in life FIRST. Just a little bump in the road for now...
    CCNP:Collaboration, CCNP:R&S, CCNA:S, CCNA:V, CCNA, CCENT
    Dang I feel like a freakin pingpong.. First was doing nothing but Data Center stuff now they created a new Voice team and put me in there.. Come on peoples.. make up your mind! :) Anyway looks like im back in the voice game.. time to rebuild the old voice lab.. wooot!!
  • shodownshodown Member Posts: 2,271
    Do a Basic lab and rely on rack rentals. I found that with everything changing so often its not best to invest in a full blown lab unless you know you have time to use it. My lab is just 6 phones with 2 gateways and a PSTN router and Server. No 3560's or CUE. So total it was under 2grand, its enough to have you up and going and learn enough to get the most out of your rack rentals.
    Currently Reading

CUCM SRND 9x/10, UCCX SRND 10x, QOS SRND, SIP Trunking Guide, anything contact center related
    Thats what Im thinking.. also I think I have my director convinence it would be a good thing to build up a voice lab sandbox.. so we shall see..
  • TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Thats what Im thinking.. also I think I have my director convinence it would be a good thing to build up a voice lab sandbox.. so we shall see..

Why not have another crack at it Kelkin? I recall luckycharms going for his CCIE Voice on TE but after three attempts I think he ran out of gas. It would be good to have another CCIE Voice thread alive and well on the boards.
    I am seriously considering it.. I want to knock out the CCNP first thou.. then switch gears back into voice.. I want to strengthen my R/S knowledge base before switching gears into voice again.. I felt really weak in r/s before.. Just alot of things to learn and know..