Options

Any words of advice how to break into the Network field?

silver_225silver_225 Member Posts: 36 ■■□□□□□□□□
After 10+ years of system administration, I want to move into the network side of the world. I recently received my CCNA certification, but have limited hands on experience. I don't mind taking a junior level position, just to get the experience and hands on, but it seems that all Network Administrator jobs require 2 - 4 years hands on. Any suggestions? It's like a catch 22, you have the experience they want the certification, you have the certification they want the experience. icon_confused.gif

Comments

• Options
    WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    silver_225 wrote:
    It's like a catch 22, you have the experience they want the certification, you have the certification they want the experience. icon_confused.gif
    Something that hasn't changed over the past decades, especially when it comes to Cisco is that you need experience to get the job and you need to job to get the experience. I've been in the same boat, but got lucky when I got my CCNA. I was working as a system administrator for a Windows network that needed to be connected to a production facility. Since there were only 4 people in the IT department and I was the only one with some Cisco knowledge, I got to manage the routers after the telco installed them. Wasn't a big thing, some monitoring and minor changes, but it was something I could put on my resume as experience with cisco equipment which opened some doors at the next job.

I think it's easier to get Cisco experience at a small organization, as in my example, where they don't have someone dedicated for network administration as they do in larger companies. It also differs a lot per area. When they really need someone, a CCNA will do, but in many cases it's CCNP's applying for CCNA jobs...