Net+ books (winipcfg /ipconfig on 9x)

tokhsstokhss Member Posts: 473
hey guys,

i know there are threads out there for training material regarding the Net+ exam..but,

i am about to go to the book store and buy a book..

whats the best book i can buy.. i only want to buy 1 book and use this site as my alternative.

webmaster.. im going crazy waiting for your PDF file with all those questions!!! :)

thanks.

Comments

• lazyartlazyart Member Posts: 483
    I've seen David Groth's 2nd edition (Sybex) highly recommended.
    I'm not a complete idiot... some parts are missing.
  • cheebliecheeblie Member Posts: 288
    I used the Exam Cram 2, and that was easily enough for me.

Cheeblie
  • trick000trick000 Member Posts: 89 ■■□□□□□□□□
    before you go to the store, stop by amazon.com and get used ones and get them for 40%-50% off. I just got Mike Meyers AIO network+ for $36 with shipping. List price is $59.99.

I got it from superbookdeals.com. They run there catalog through amazon. I've bought a C++ book from them at used prices and it was like new.
  • tokhsstokhss Member Posts: 473
    i couldnt wait for the replies, lol, sorry... so i just got David Groths 3rd Edition...

my reason is simple..

i found all three books.. ExamCram2, the ALL in One, and Davids,

quickly compared them and came to a conclusion,

ExamCram2,,, i used it for the A+ test, liked it.. however, i felt it was too dull and i found more than 1 mistake in that book.. like Win98 has IPconfig and Winipconfig... WRONG! lol.. stupid mistakes like that..

next, the ALL in ONE, seems like a great book.. however, i feel this book is well suited for those who are entry level to the networking feild, which i am not, and goes past the context of the exam. once agian, the book looked great.. but too indepth of things that i already know.

lastly, David Groths 3rd edition. i noticed when i picked up the book, the first thing i saw was the Exam Objectives writen clearly as the books outline.. and thats what i needed.. this book follows the Net+ exam outlines very well, and its easy to read.. reading level was more suited to for me.. as i wish the reading level was more on par with the ExamCram2 book.. but like i said.. they had mistakes.. also, this book comes with a lot of practice questions.. something like 200+ ..

so.. as u know, i went with the Sybex book.

next thing i am gonna get is the premium edition technotes from this site.. mainly for the questions.

icon_cool.gif
  • pandimuspandimus Member Posts: 651
    That AIO book from MM, is on half.com.

24 bucks

ISBN
    0-07213-1640

Thats the one I have. Half dot com seems to be the cheapest books ive seen sofar. Too bad they dont have reviews like amazon.

pandimus
    Xinxing is the hairy one.
  • DrakonblaydeDrakonblayde Member Posts: 542
    Actually, I'm pretty sure Win98 *does* have ipconfig and winipconfig. At least, Second Edition does. I remember saying the same thing in one of my classes when, to my chagrin, someone behind me had ipconfig in an MS-DOS Prompt box on a win98 SE machine
    = Marcus Drakonblayde
    ================
    CCNP-O-Meter:
    =[0%]==[25%]==[50%]==[75%]==[100%]
    ==[X]===[X]====[ ]=====[ ]====[ ]==
    =CCNA==BSCI==BCMSN==BCRAN==CIT=
  • RussSRussS Member Posts: 2,068 ■■■□□□□□□□
    You are correct Drakonblayde SE does have both ipconfig and winipcfg.
    One must always remember - ipconfig run from DOS prompt and winipcfg can be started by the run prompt or a DOS box.
    www.supercross.com
    FIM website of the year 2007
    i said win98.. not SE ... truthfully.. i didnt know win98se had ipconfig.. but i am sure win98 doesnt have it.
    You are probably right tokhss - IPCONFIG is considered a command-line utility for Windows NT, 2000 and XP machines.
    It does however ship in 98SE and ME, so if a question was saying 9x then I guess you would have to take a stab. By my reasoning I would say yes, however I'd lay money on Comptia saying no icon_wink.gif
    www.supercross.com
  • curiocurio Member Posts: 76 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I used (ironically) the Microsoft Network+ training kit. It goes into more detail than is necessary - a good thing. If you can absorb that book you will be OK.
    Actually I can also confirm that Win98 original has ipconfig too. Someone just handed me an old HP Pavilion 8275 running win98 to make play nice again, and it does in fact have ipconfig hehe
    = Marcus Drakonblayde
    ================
    CCNP-O-Meter:
    interesting.. so why do the CompTIA exams and almost every other source that i need say it doesnt.. wierd.. so D... you actually were able to run IPCONFIG on a win98 box?
    probably because the first version of '98 didn't have it.
    www.supercross.com
    This is the first edition of Win98 that I'm playing with. Let me see if I can get a screenshot... unfortunetly the box is totally fubar and I can't do network connectivity (waiting for the go ahead from the client to wipe it and reinstall), but I might have floppies handy. The output is a little different looking than the NT/2k/XP. I don't seem to recall anything in my Net+ books or A+ books saying specifically that ipconfig didn't exist in Win9x, but apparently winipcfg is the preferred method to work with (I dunno, maybe they figure commandline crap is just too hard for normal users to deal with) Ah there we go (my apologies for the scroll, on lunch, don't have time to take out the white space :))

ip1.gif
    ip2.gif
    ip3.gif
    = Marcus Drakonblayde
    ================
    CCNP-O-Meter:
  • cheebliecheeblie Member Posts: 288
    Learn to crop pictures man! :P Someone needs some practice with Photoshop. Hehe, JK.icon_wink.gif
    good find man...

this is something that i do not like to see.. on the CompTIA exam.. the rule was, win98 uses WINIPCFG and NT uses IPCONFIG... thats why i choose on the test, and thats what i believe was correct..

in the books that i have read..examcram2 indeed said, both utilities were on Win98, however, NT only used IPconfig... in the Sybex book that i am currently reading for my NET+ exam, it clearly goes into 2 sections about this... 1 section is related to Win98 and WinIPcfg, and the 2nd section goes into NT and IPconfig... clearly giving a sense that this is the only way.. not stating that win98 can use both, and NT only has 1 type...

like i said above.. i dont like this.. i think the books should say win98 uses both, however, WINIPCFG is the popular form of use and (should be used on the exam objective, which it is).... vise versa on NT...

other sites that i go to are also like this.. they seperate the 2 utilties to the different ver of OS..

anyhow.. good find..

EDIT:: i will correct myseld now. lol... further reading, as in , reading the TIPS notes in that section.. it clearly says.. "you can also use the ipconfig utility in windows98"//// ouch... i need to read these tips more often...
    however. on the exam.. i believe it stated Win9x.. therefore, you must presume it cannot be used, due to win95.. :o
    Correct - win9x is what is asked from memory.
    A quick flick through a couple different study books where I used to train also had notes stating that even though some things worked in Win98 or ME that when Comptia said 9x it was safe to assume W95.

I think the reason behind this is that they can not change one or two questions in the adaptive engine, but have to replace the whole set and that is too expensive. However with the bucks they have made off the Sec+ guys who sat 2 or 3 times they should be flush with cash now icon_confused.gif
    www.supercross.com
    There, fixed the pics ;)

Now I'm sitting here wondering if 95 has it as well. The desire to find out is warring with the effort it will take to ghost a box for later restoration, not to mention actually finding my Win95OSR2 CD hehe

Anyway, yeah, for test purposes, winipcfg for 9x, ipconfig for the NT based stuff. I guess knowing ipconfig works in the older versions of 9x is useful just in case the graphical version won't work or something hehe

But it wouldn't surprise me if some of the folks who wrote the CompTIA test questions were unaware of the fact that ipconfig does exist prior to NT4
    = Marcus Drakonblayde
    ================
    CCNP-O-Meter:
    I'm sure it's in win 95 too. The network+ ppl know it as well - they specify either enter a command:- i.e. use the run dialog or:- enter a command at a command prompt - DOS prompt.
    In Windows 9x the command prompt is actually DOS (a DOS VM anyway)so the only command natively in windows is winipcfg - in windows NT the command prompt is also windows NT, not DOS, so IPconfig is a windows command.
    That's how I see it - and I can't see it any other way.
    Found an old Windows 95 (A) machine in cupboard P 75 (all that raw power). Turned it on before throwing it away - no IPCONFIG command line. Re-installed TCP/IP just in case (very thorough me) still no command line IPCONFIG. So looks like 98 was first to include it of the 9x series. I also found a 486 with a 5 1/4 inch floppy drive - skipped it.
    cool man..thanks for checking that out
  • bellboybellboy Member Posts: 1,017
    RussS wrote:
    I think the reason behind this is that they can not change one or two questions in the adaptive engine, but have to replace the whole set and that is too expensive. However with the bucks they have made off the Sec+ guys who sat 2 or 3 times they should be flush with cash now icon_confused.gif

network+ is in traditional exam format
    A+ Moderator
  • WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    curio wrote:
    Found an old Windows 95 (A) machine in cupboard P 75 (all that raw power). Turned it on before throwing it away - no IPCONFIG command line. Re-installed TCP/IP just in case (very thorough me) still no command line IPCONFIG. So looks like 98 was first to include it of the 9x series. I also found a 486 with a 5 1/4 inch floppy drive - skipped it.

Then this should be interesting: icon_arrow.gif support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;183858

icon_wink.gif
    LOL, no way. WFWG 3.11 had ipconfig hahah
    = Marcus Drakonblayde
    ================
    CCNP-O-Meter:
  • GhentGhent Member Posts: 310
    I went through the entire CCNA curriculum in school but never got arround to actually taking the exam. I'm looking to get Net+ to beef up my resume as well as refresh before taking the CCNA exam. Any suggestions for good book to study by. I like Mike Myer's A+ but I've hear his Net+ really doesn't work as far as preparing for the exam.
    Prais'd be the fathomless universe, for life and joy, and for objects and knowledge curious.' Whalt Whitman
  • WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    I've heard good things about Groth's books, also be sure to download our TechNotes:
    icon_arrow.gifwww.techexams.net/technotes/networkplus/pdf.shtml
  • GhentGhent Member Posts: 310
    Thanx, all the reviews I read for Groth's sound good, and definately gonna download the technotes.
    Prais'd be the fathomless universe, for life and joy, and for objects and knowledge curious.' Whalt Whitman