Options

Adding a secondary DNS server to a existing domain.

ScareCrowScareCrow Member Posts: 25 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi,

Im trying to add a standard secondary DNS server to my existing lab domain.

I enter the relative information into the new zone wizard (selecting standard secondard on the first page).
When answering the question; What do you want to name the new zone? I'm a little unsure what to enter. I would have thought because its a secondary server i should enter the existing zone name (even though it asks for a new zone name), but this fails with the following error "The zone cannot be created. The zone already exsits". Well i know this.

So my question is in the What do you want to name the new zone? page do i have to create a unique new zone name. If so how would the new DNS server become a secondard to the master? Or am i going about this all the wrong way?

Could you please help with my questions? or provide me a procedure to create a standard secondary? I followed microsofts procedure but it doesnt say what i should enter as a zone.

Oh... Im using windows 2000 server in an AD envoirnment.

Comments

• Options
    rossonieri#1rossonieri#1 Member Posts: 799 ■■■□□□□□□□
    hello,
    if you want to add a secondary DNS server to your domain - then you just have to download the zone database from the master DNS server. Specify the master DNS server when you configure the secondary DNS server. The database on the Master DNS will be downloaded for the secondary.
    the More I know, that is more and More I dont know.
  • Options
    spudnikspudnik Member Posts: 232 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Why not just have a 2nd DC that way DNS would be replicate between the two.

if not what exactly are you calling new zone?

try this open a cmd and type dnscmd computer1 /recordadd domain.com @ ns computer2.domain.com

change to meet your compuetr names and domain name, also you might need to install support tools if not allready done so.

then try to create then zone again, then try to tranfer the zone from master
  • Options
    keatronkeatron Member Posts: 1,213 ■■■■■■□□□□
    The issue here is having a clear understanding of the differences in a domain and a zone. A zone can contain several domains, or can be only part of a domain. So are you really trying to create a secondary zone? Or just trying to add a secondary DNS server to your domain.