Options

Failed ICND2

soooowutnowsoooowutnow Member Posts: 83 ■■■□□□□□□□
Didn't even come close [678]. I got destroyed by a switch config sim where I just kind of locked up and felt pressure from the clock the entire time. After a few commands didn't work and I still had 10 questions and 10 min left I panicked and skipped it all together.

I fought the clock the entire time and felt like the test was really unfair compared to the ICND1 which I passed easily. The ICND1 was a piece of cake compared to this. I had to read every question 2 or 3 times and that just killed me time wise.

Has anyone here taken the composite and the ICND2? I am curios to see if it might be a better strategy to take the composite since is has a mix of ICND1 and 2 questions on it compared to this nightmarish ICND2 exam.

I felt like a had a couple of weaknesses going in, and this test hit every one of them, and exposed more weaknesses that I didn't know I had. If anything, this experience will help me get my act together a little better I guess.

For those of you who would like a ICND1 vs. ICND2 comparison...the ICND1 was a like 3 on a scale of 1-10 difficulty wise and the ICND2 was about a 9.
2018 Achievements:
Cloud Essentials SME
Project+
CRISC

2019 To conquer:
Maybe CGEIT? I don't know - help!

Comments

• Options
    jamesleecolemanjamesleecoleman Member Posts: 1,899 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Yea it is a difficult test. I did the same thing when I thought I was running out of time.
    Try again... I'm sure you can pass it.
    Booya!!
    WIP : | CISSP [2018] | CISA [2018] | CAPM [2018] | eCPPT [2018] | CRISC [2019] | TORFL (TRKI) B1 | Learning: | Russian | Farsi |
    *****You can fail a test a bunch of times but what matters is that if you fail to give up or not*****
  • Options
    pham0329pham0329 Member Posts: 556
    Has anyone here taken the composite and the ICND2? I am curios to see if it might be a better strategy to take the composite since is has a mix of ICND1 and 2 questions on it compared to this nightmarish ICND2 exam.

I would suggest you study some more and try again with ICND 2. IMO, it's a little foolish to go for the CCNA composite after failing ICND2. I would rather pass the exam because I know the material rather than because I got easy questions from the ICND1 portions...especially if you have as many weaknesses as your post suggested.
  • Options
    Version4Version4 Member Posts: 58 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I felt the same way when I failed the ICND2 last week, time pressured.

I also agree with pham, go for the ICND2 again. Take a little break, study-study-study the points you were weak on from the exam print out while refreshing the other topics, then re-schedule and re-take.

You'll get it next time!
  • Options
    alxxalxx Member Posts: 755
    Hang in there and good luck for next time!
    Goals CCNA by dec 2013, CCNP by end of 2014
  • Options
    CingularCingular Member Posts: 81 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Ah bad luck man! I think the most crucial thing to glean from this experience is that you cannot have any weaknesses going in to this exam.

I have my ICND2 exam scheduled for the 27th and I'm cramming as much study in as I can until then!
    cissp, pcnse, ccnp, ccnp security, nse4
    ---

"It's too bad she won't live. But then again, who does?" - Gaff 

• Options
    fieldmonkeyfieldmonkey Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 254 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I echoes your sentiments on this exam.... very cruel as compared to ICND1... I was comfortable with the questions but did have to read many a 2nd or 3rd time.What really killed me was the SIMS. I'm thinking the composite might be the better strategy for me.
    WIP:
    Husband & Fatherhood Caitlin Grace born 8-26-2010

Future Certs:
    Q1-2011 - INCD2, Microsoft or Linux (decisions, decisions...)
  • Options
    I echoes your sentiments on this exam.... very cruel as compared to ICND1... I was comfortable with the questions but did have to read many a 2nd or 3rd time.What really killed me was the SIMS. I'm thinking the composite might be the better strategy for me.

That is how I feel. The regular questions were like problem solving, not just trivial questions like ICND1. So you have to re read them at least once to feel somewhat confident. Then on top of that they give you crazy sims. I re did one of the sims I had and it was 29 commands jumping from routers to switches to hosts. I feel like Cisco has it backwards with the time. They should give the extra time for ICND2. I finished ICND1 with 35 minutes to spare. I had about 2 min left with this one and only finished because I pretty much skipped a sim.

Maybe it is just my frustration talking I dunno. I won't give up though. Thanks for the encouragement everyone.
    2018 Achievements:
    Cloud Essentials SME
    Project+
    CRISC

2019 To conquer:
  • Options
    advanex1advanex1 Member Posts: 365 ■■■■□□□□□□
    That is how I feel. The regular questions were like problem solving, not just trivial questions like ICND1. So you have to re read them at least once to feel somewhat confident. Then on top of that they give you crazy sims. I re did one of the sims I had and it was 29 commands jumping from routers to switches to hosts. I feel like Cisco has it backwards with the time. They should give the extra time for ICND2. I finished ICND1 with 35 minutes to spare. I had about 2 min left with this one and only finished because I pretty much skipped a sim.

Maybe it is just my frustration talking I dunno. I won't give up though. Thanks for the encouragement everyone.

I don't know if I believe there was a 29 command sim in ICND2 (barely takes 29 commands, if that, to do a basic config on a router and configure ospf with a couple of areas). Pay attention to what they are asking and breathe. Write down a short version of the question it's asking and search for that answer, move on to the next part, etc. etc. It's much easier when you break questions down.

I didn't really see much of a difference from ICND1 to ICND2 other than you need to know the configurations and what things look like as they are configured on the routers/switches. You need to go in there 100% confident that you know the material. That means being able to answer with a 90% in every subject on any practice test or what not you take.

Study harder, you'll get there. Good luck.
    Currently Reading: CISM: All-in-One
    New Blog: https://jpinit.com/blog
  • Options
    seansdseansd Member Posts: 13 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I originally went with CCNA on theory strengths would cover my weak areas. Barely squeaked by. If I had to do it over, I would go the two-test route.
    You already have part1 out of the way, and now know what to work on for part2.
  • Options
    seansd wrote: »
    I originally went with CCNA on theory strengths would cover my weak areas. Barely squeaked by. If I had to do it over, I would go the two-test route.
    You already have part1 out of the way, and now know what to work on for part2.

OK 24 hours later and my initial shock/anger has worn off. I am going to bust my butt and take the ICND2 again. I will look at my first experience as an expensive practice test. The reason I am so beat up over it is that I literally have a better job and more $ on the line with it. If I pass this test by the end of the month I get the job, if not I'm screwed!
    2018 Achievements:
    Cloud Essentials SME
    Project+
    CRISC

2019 To conquer: