Options

poin to point connection

Bolton07Bolton07 Member Posts: 87 ■■□□□□□□□□
'In an enterprise network, static routes configured with exit interfaces are ideal for point-to-point connections like those between a border router and the ISP'

What does poin to point connection mean in the context above?

Comments

• Options
    PC509PC509 Member Posts: 804 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Single connection from your network (could be one or many routers) to a different, non-contiguous network - like from a border router on your network to an ISP for connection to the internet.
  • Options
    Russell77Russell77 Member Posts: 161
    Bolton07 wrote: »
    'In an enterprise network, static routes configured with exit interfaces are ideal for point-to-point connections like those between a border router and the ISP'

What does poin to point connection mean in the context above?

I Always think of point to point connection as a virtual cable connecting two sites that are remote from each other. The confusion in the statement is the use of "ISP". In this context the ISP is not providing a path to the internet they are providing a dedicated path between 2 remote sites. This particular path would only connect the networks from the sites and nothing else.
  • Options
    pham0329pham0329 Member Posts: 556
    PC509 wrote: »
    Single connection from your network (could be one or many routers) to a different, non-contiguous network - like from a border router on your network to an ISP for connection to the internet.

haha, that may be the most confusing explanation of a point-to-point I've ever read!

I just think of a point-to-point as a connection between 2 device. All that really says is in a point-to-point connection, there's only one device on the other end of the link, so there's no need to set a next-hop ip.