*TechLabs* CCNA

Comments

• XCommandXCommand Member Posts: 63 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I read this thread several times but it is still not clear for me.I also read "My router Lab" thread.

Here's is what I understood till now;
    -Serial ports are used to connect the routers to eachother via back-to-back cable.I am giving the same example in techexams.net's Hardware LAB.

2 routers (RouterA and RouterB)

S0 of RouterA connects to S0 of RouterB with DB60 back-to-back cable.
    For AUI ports we plug a transiever for both routers.From transievers a straight cable directly to ethernet cards of 2 PC's.
    E1 of RouterA goes to Host A
    E2 of RouterB goes to Host B.

And now the part which is not clear icon_confused.gif
    Console port is used to configure the router.From console port of RouterA comes and goes to the serial com port of HostA.Ok,everything is ok.Now we can configure the RouterA from HostA via telnet.
    But how we can configure the RouterB from HostB or from HostA?

There isn't any console cable between RouterB and HostB.
    Ok I understand there is a back-to-back cable between routers but how will we say the name of the ports for RouterB?
    What is the configuration?

Thank you
  • raheerahee Member Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hi ,

I am new here and planning to get certfied for CCNA. Your Lab is good. There are very few person in this world who provide such wonderful help without commercial benifits.

I hope this will be helpful to all CCNA aspirants.

Also please let us know what way we should prepare so get pass CCNA exam.What books/material etc etc.
  • johnnynodoughjohnnynodough Member Posts: 634
    Im all over the router lab, but some switch labs would be excellent, especially pertaining to VLANs.
    Go Hawks - 7 and 2

2 games againts San Fran coming up, oh yeah baby, why even play? just put then in the win category and call it good :p
  • zawhtetaungzawhtetaung Member Posts: 17 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks Johan. I am proud of you. you are our guide master to try CCNA.

Have a nice day. icon_cool.gif
    zaw_htetaung
  • ja5983ja5983 Member Posts: 129
    I love these tech labs! id love to see alot more of these...and some more sims...and some more technotes!!! more more more!
    Josh
    A+, Network+, Server+, Security+, TICSA, CCNA, MCSA, AS Network Engineering
  • WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    chuchu wrote:
    RIP Lab is nicely designed. I found a small error in this lab. Not very serious. After hostname configuration to RouterA the subsequent prompts should appear as "RouterA"
    Thanks, fixed it.
    I've just uploaded a new TechLab for the CCNA exam - Configuring a Frame Relay network. It's written for a lab with 4 routers but 3 will work as well. As with the Configuring a RIP network TechLab, there are three versions, the online version, the printerfriendly version, and a printerfriendly version without the actual commands with you can use to test yourself.

icon_arrow.gifwww.techexams.net/techlabs/ccna/lab_fr.shtml

Special thanks goes to Kyle Lutz (kyle.tk) who wrote the TechLab.

Let us know if you have any comments.
  • KGhaleonKGhaleon Member Posts: 1,346 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I like what I've seen so far, but there's still a lack of sims and labs. I was going over the frame-relay lab, which is somewhat new to me and think I found an error. It's not major...but in Step 3 you set up FrameRelay encapsulation on interface serial 0.

Then in step 5, "show interface serial 1" is used. Was that interface used for something? I'm new to frame relay so I don't know if this is an error.

Good job so far. :)

KG
    Present goals: MCAS, MCSA, 70-680
    Thanks.

That's not an error btw. "On the frame-switch, use the show interface command to verify the operation for all connected interfaces." for the output serial 1 is just used as an example. Depending on how you connect the routers the output may vary a bit.
  • sin1sasin1sa Member Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hi, I am new to this forum and Cisco stuff, but this place is really great, especially labs.

I dont have any equipment at my place for now, so im using boson sim.

I ve managed to pull out cnofiguring rip lab pretty well on sim, but frame relay doesnt seem to work. Maybe im doing something wrong or is it not possible to do it in boson sim.

Thanks for your answers.
  • vaughnsvaughns Member Posts: 15 ■□□□□□□□□□
    with Sybex Fifth, and Nuggets, and this site, and doing the course, I am feeling much better.

Thanks

Great site
  • bhattnbikesbhattnbikes Member Posts: 40 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Hi Webmaster,

Thanks a lot for creating a very useful forum for all us. I have been using this forum since a long time and it has helped me a lot understanding various topics. I just have a request to make. Can you please add a techlab tutorial on how to configure and troubleshoot NAT. It would be of great help to me and a lot of others I am sure.

Thanks,
    Bhattnbikes
    For Latest TEch NEws Check out : http://directfromdigg.blogspot.com/
  • masadullmasadull Member Posts: 22 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Not sure if it has already been pointed out, but I noticed a small error on the Frame-Relay lab diagram. According to your DLCI mappings near the end of the lab, the input DLCI numbers on the S2 interface of the Frame-Relay switch should be 201 and 301. On your diagram at the beginning of the lab it shows the input mappings on the S2 interface as 201 and 300. The DLCI numbers for the PVC of 300 and 301 should be reversed, so that S2 should have DLCI 301 and S1 should have DLCI 300.
    Also, had a quick question on that Frame-Relay lab. You configure the Serial 0 interface as a Frame-Switch, but you dont use that interface on your DLCI mappings. You use Serial 1 2 and 3, so does that mean that for each of those you had to enter those Frame-switch commands that you did at the beginning for Serial 0? Or setting up Serial 0 sets up all the Serial interfaces on the router for that setting? *confused* Thanks.
  • kyle.tkkyle.tk Member Posts: 20 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Yes, you need configure each interface for frame relay as per this line:
    Repeat the commands above for the other connected interfaces on the frame relay switch.

I just used serial 0 as an example. In your set up the way you connected your routers together may be different than how I did it.

-kyle
    Hey, having a real FRUSTRATING problem with the frame-relay lab here. I setup the diagram using Boson Netmap, loaded the map in the simulation. Everything works fine, until I have to use the frame-relay route command. It doesnt recognize the command, even thoough when I do the "?" the command is there, can someone tell me if they tried this and whether they are having the same problem? is it a bug with Boson and that command?
    masadull wrote:
    Hey, having a real FRUSTRATING problem with the frame-relay lab here. I setup the diagram using Boson Netmap, loaded the map in the simulation. Everything works fine, until I have to use the frame-relay route command. It doesnt recognize the command, even thoough when I do the "?" the command is there, can someone tell me if they tried this and whether they are having the same problem? is it a bug with Boson and that command?

Nevermind....just checked it out...Boson Sim does not support the
    "frame-relay route" command.
  • SaminSamin Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    the TechNotes & the TechLabs are really great. thank u webmaster.
    could i ask for some Switch labs, please?
  • petedudepetedude Member Posts: 1,510
    Really useful labs. I had a home lab set up, but it wasn't working correctly until I went through your RIP TechLab. Thanks for taking the time to do this. Hope you'll reconsider and do more in the future.
    Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there.
    --Will Rogers
  • upigradupigrad Member Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
    hi,
    I am a MS student who has been preparing for CCNA for some time now and have my test in a couple of days from now. I have been comming back to this forum for guidance and tutorials. it has been a very fruitfull experiance comming here and learning from some very excellent tutorials i thank the moderator for his invisible help (though sometimes vey direct too..) in helping me and others in going forward with our CCNA objectives.
    Thanks a lot and keep up the good work.
    upigrad
    Moving up to CCNP
  • DirtySouthDirtySouth Member Posts: 314 ■□□□□□□□□□
    XCommand wrote:
    I read this thread several times but it is still not clear for me.I also read "My router Lab" thread.

Here's is what I understood till now;
    -Serial ports are used to connect the routers to eachother via back-to-back cable.I am giving the same example in techexams.net's Hardware LAB.

2 routers (RouterA and RouterB)

S0 of RouterA connects to S0 of RouterB with DB60 back-to-back cable.
    For AUI ports we plug a transiever for both routers.From transievers a straight cable directly to ethernet cards of 2 PC's.
    E1 of RouterA goes to Host A
    E2 of RouterB goes to Host B.

And now the part which is not clear icon_confused.gif
    Console port is used to configure the router.From console port of RouterA comes and goes to the serial com port of HostA.Ok,everything is ok.Now we can configure the RouterA from HostA via telnet.
    But how we can configure the RouterB from HostB or from HostA?

There isn't any console cable between RouterB and HostB.
    Ok I understand there is a back-to-back cable between routers but how will we say the name of the ports for RouterB?
    What is the configuration?

Thank you
    This is probably a bit overdue, but I figured I'd make my first post by helping someone out. In order to configure RouterB, you would need to connect a rollover cable to the console port on RouterB. You could connect the other end to either HostA or HostB....it doesn't matter. I hope that helps.

BTW, I'm taking classes right now to prepare for CCNA, so I'm no guru, but learning quickly. :D
  • binarysoulbinarysoul Member Posts: 993
    I'm using RouterSim Network Visualizer 5.0 and when I try to run the command 'clock rate 64000' on RouterB , int s0/0, to set it as DCE, it tells me this command can only be run on a DCE interface. What is wrong? Please help me. Thanks.
  • pr3d4t0rpr3d4t0r Member Posts: 173
    This means that ur router isn't configured to provide clock rate on that if.

Issue a show controllers command to see the right if.
    First let me apologize for the lack of new TechLabs (and other CCNA material...) lately. The Cisco sections and forums are actually more popular than our CompTIA and Microsoft section, so it deserves some new content. Starting with three new TechLabs. Here's the first one:

Switch Configuration Basics
    icon_arrow.gifwww.techexams.net/techlabs/ccna/lab-switch-basics.shtml
    It covers some essential and very basic configuration tasks on a Cisco Catalyst 2950-12 Switch, but it applies to other series/models as well.

The following two TechLabs will cover switchport configuration and VLANs.

I hope you will find them useful, even if you don't have a switch to practice it on. We'll be providing a neat way to practice the switch command soon (month or two). If you have and comments or suggestions feel free to post them as a reply to this topic.

I also finally fixed the diagram in the frame relay lab and cleaned up this thread a bit.

Johan
    I just realized I forgot a small section, causing the lab results to be different than they should. Will update it in a couple of minutes... done.
  • ObligedObliged Member Posts: 39 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Thank you for the new lab Johan, you're my hero! icon_thumright.gif
    roses are #FF0000
    violets are #0000FF
    all my base
    are belong to you
  • bighornsheepbighornsheep Member Posts: 1,506
    In the frame relay techlab, it says that it's using the 2520 as the FR switch. If another 2500 series router is used instead, does that mean only 2 other routers can connect to it because there're only 2 serial ports on other models? Also, on the 2520, how do you decide which to put on the sync serial, and which to put on the async serial port? And what is the difference?
    Jack of all trades, master of none
  • kadshahkadshah Member Posts: 388 ■■■□□□□□□□
    The configuring frame Relay section was very helpful since I don't have
    3 routers in my lab. I already understand the concept of frame relay
    from reading Todd's book but your techlab helped me to easily organize the frame Relay commands in my head. Excellent work!
  • deweese3deweese3 Member Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Very nice labs, I would definiatly like to see more of these. I definatly think you need to add VTP, and how to configure VLANS at lease the basics, being that your switch lab seems a little too basic. Wonderful frame-relay though. Excellent :D
    Thanks for the feedback. There will be a follow up lab for the switches, covering several switchport and VLAN configurating related topics. I'll probably finish it before the end of this month.