Options

Scheduled Security+ SY0-201 for Thursday 3pm. Last minute suggestions?

JoJoCal19JoJoCal19 Mod Posts: 2,835 Mod
Finally. I've gotten of my lazy behind last month and started reading my Darril Gibson book. I'm finishing it today and will be doing the practice exam either tonight or tomorrow. It's been a great read and I've scored like 90% or more on every end of chapter exam. I feel like I've absorbed the material really well and it makes great sense to me, as I've been working with security for the better part of 5 years. I also have the CompTIA Security+ Review Guide I will probably speed read/skim through, as well as the practice exam that comes with it.

Anything else you think I should do to finish up preparing for it? Any specific objectives or areas I should pay some extra attention to?
Have: CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, eJPT, GCIA, GSEC, CCSP, CCSK, AWS CSAA, AWS CCP, OCI Foundations Associate, ITIL-F, MS Cyber Security - USF, BSBA - UF, MSISA - WGU
Currently Working On: Python, OSCP Prep
Next Up:​ OSCP
Studying:​ Code Academy (Python), Bash Scripting, Virtual Hacking Lab Coursework

Comments

• Options
    DarrilDarril Member Posts: 1,588
    One thing I like to stress to people is to read the explanations for the questions too. Ideally, you should be able to look at any question in the book and and know why the correct answer is correct, and why the incorrect answer is incorrect. If you know this, it doesn't matter how they word the question, you'll be able to answer it correctly.

Good luck.

Darril Gibson
    Security+ blog
  • Options
    DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    You should do just fine on the test. I scored 95% or so on the Darril questions. Walked into the exam, walked out 15 minutes later with an 850 or something.

Like Darril said, understand why things are the way they are and not just memorization and you will be fine. Good luck
    Decide what to be and go be it.
  • Options
    JoJoCal19JoJoCal19 Mod Posts: 2,835 Mod
    Update: Passed with a rather unpleasant 784. The questions were way simplistic but I kept trying to read too much into the question. Oh well. On to the CISSP.
    Have: CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, eJPT, GCIA, GSEC, CCSP, CCSK, AWS CSAA, AWS CCP, OCI Foundations Associate, ITIL-F, MS Cyber Security - USF, BSBA - UF, MSISA - WGU
    Currently Working On: Python, OSCP Prep
    Next Up:​ OSCP
    Studying:​ Code Academy (Python), Bash Scripting, Virtual Hacking Lab Coursework
  • Options
    mrvl13mrvl13 Member Posts: 46 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Hello Mr. Gisbon, i have bought and studied multiple Sec + books and materials since 2003 , but have never taken the test. i have your book that i bought last year, what is the difference between 2008 and 2011 exams and does your 2008 book cover most of the 2001 ojectives.

Darril wrote: »
    One thing I like to stress to people is to read the explanations for the questions too. Ideally, you should be able to look at any question in the book and and know why the correct answer is correct, and why the incorrect answer is incorrect. If you know this, it doesn't matter how they word the question, you'll be able to answer it correctly.

Good luck.

Darril Gibson
    Security+ blog
  • Options
    KrisAKrisA Member Posts: 142
    A Pass is a pass.
    WGU Progress BSIT:NA | Current Term:1 | Transfered To-Do In Progress Completed
    EWB2 BAC1 BBC1 TSV1 WFV1 CLC1 LAE1 LUT1 LAT1 AXV1 TTV1 INC1 INT1 TPV1 SST1 SSC1 GAC1 HHT1 TNV1 QLT1 BOV1 LET1 ORC1 IWC1 IWT1 MGC1 ABV1 AHV1 AJV1 TWA1 CPW2 BRV1
    Currently Reading
    Darril Book
  • Options
    JoJoCal19 wrote: »
    Update: Passed ... On to the CISSP.
    Congratulations. As KrisA said, a pass is a pass. It's very rare for an employer to ask you for your score, but instead is only interested in the certifcation.

Darril Gibson
    Security+ blog
  • Options
    mrvl13 wrote: »
    Hello Mr. Gisbon, i have bought and studied multiple Sec + books and materials since 2003 , but have never taken the test. i have your book that i bought last year, what is the difference between 2008 and 2011 exams and does your 2008 book cover most of the 2001 ojectives.

You may like to check out these blog articles.

This one outlines the differences:
    Security+ SY0-201 and SY0-301 Differences
    This one includes a FAQ section:
    Security+ Practice Test Questions (SY0-301)

If you really want to become Security+ certified, you still have time to take and pass the SY0-201 exam. It' s available until December 31, 2011. Here are four steps you can follow:
    1. Identify the date 45 days from today and set a goal of taking it by then.
    2. Set aside time to study every day between now and then.
    3. Study everyday between now and then
    4. Take the exam and celebrate your success!
    Darril Gibson
    Security+ blog