Installing windows xp professional

jamesthatsmeukjamesthatsmeuk Member Posts: 49 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hi everyone.
Here's what I'm doing. My cd rom is all burnt out and I want to reinstall windows xp pro.
I plan to do it through USB an my BIOS accepts USB-FDD.
The memory stick is being run as USB-HDD.
Does this mean it won't accept my memory stick as a bootable option?
I just am trying to think ahead before running it. I'm always like that so when I get a problem I've already covered it In my head and know how to solve it.
I'm worried it will only load a small amount of the OS then still ask me for to run through cm-Rom because the USB-FDD being the bootable option.

Comments

• punkisdead83punkisdead83 Registered Users Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
    You should be able to create a bootable iso from the xp cd and copy the iso onto your thumb drive and boot from that as if it were a cd rom.
  • DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Some computers won't support booting off of a thumbdrive. Some also won't boot off of an external cd drive which would be another option if you can get your hands on one. If you don't own one, it is probably worth the investment to have in your collection.

If both of those fail, you might be able to set up some sort of network installation. But that is a good deal more work to just install xp on a single computer.
    Decide what to be and go be it.
  • lsud00dlsud00d Member Posts: 1,571
    As a Security+ cert holder, you should know that the CDROM is the first POA (point of access) for physical entry! Therefore, my newest build doesn't have any optical drives icon_thumright.gif