Advice - Where should I start?

yazan84yazan84 Member Posts: 20 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hello community,

It's been awhile since I posted here, but let me get to the core issue.
So I recently graduate with a bachelor of technical management and I need to get into Cisco certifications.

I understand the basic core concepts of networking/database and components, most of the work I've done in college was administrative work through MS Server 2003 but it's been awhile and I really don't remember everything. A little bit of reading then I'll bounce back!

I also lack in the following areas:
unix/linux
OSI models
Vlans
Truncking
Advanced Security
Set up and design of switches and routers
So you get the picture, I'm still very entry-level.
icon_sad.gif

I'm interested in CCNA and willing to learn and study hard for it. However, I don't have any certificate and I need some advices on certain topics.

Where should I start?
Should I consider any other certification before CCNA?
What do I need (books, materials, CDs, Labs ... etc) to pass CCNA?
Would a CCNA boot-camp or Cisco academy really help? and how long is their period?
Also, is 4 months period enough time to study, explore and understand materials to pass CCNA?

I would appreciate in-depth answers including essential names of books and materials to pass.

thanks,

Comments

• KrisAKrisA Member Posts: 142
    Spending just a small about of time within this forum will answer all of your questions. This does 2 things. Shows your willing to look for the answers to do self-study as well as give you examples and experience that the great users of this forum have shared. You may find a situation similar to yours and can match your experience as well as knowledge.
    I would appreciate in-depth answers including essential names of books and materials to pass.

As you will see from all of the available valuable resources here, users here will walk with you, even hold your hand , point you in a very specific direction - but straight hand you the answers, Especially on a topics that have been covered multiple times, not that easy.

Point in the right direction
    Look over this board (CCNA/CCENT) and find "I passed" posts. Most (if not all ) contain a list of study materials that the user used with pros and cons. You will see common materials throughout. Show some initiative and do a little research and I for one would be more than willing to answer questions.

I am not trying to come across has hard, but the answers are here.
    WGU Progress BSIT:NA | Current Term:1 | Transfered To-Do In Progress Completed
    EWB2 BAC1 BBC1 TSV1 WFV1 CLC1 LAE1 LUT1 LAT1 AXV1 TTV1 INC1 INT1 TPV1 SST1 SSC1 GAC1 HHT1 TNV1 QLT1 BOV1 LET1 ORC1 IWC1 IWT1 MGC1 ABV1 AHV1 AJV1 TWA1 CPW2 BRV1
    Currently Reading
    Darril Book
  • EverlifeEverlife Member Posts: 253 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Hi Yazan. I would recommend you explore the CompTIA Network+ certification before you attempt to tackle the anything from Cisco. The Network+ will give you a good basic understanding of a multitude of networking concepts. Trying to jump right into Cisco certifications without going that track is definitely possible, but it would make your life easier if you get the Network+ under your belt first.
  • pham0329pham0329 Member Posts: 556
    yazan84 wrote: »
    Hello community,

It's been awhile since I posted here, but let me get to the core issue.
    So I recently graduate with a bachelor of technical management and I need to get into Cisco certifications.

I understand the basic core concepts of networking/database and components, most of the work I've done in college was administrative work through MS Server 2003 but it's been awhile and I really don't remember everything. A little bit of reading then I'll bounce back!

I also lack in the following areas:
    unix/linux
    OSI models
    Vlans
    Truncking
    Advanced Security
    Set up and design of switches and routers
    So you get the picture, I'm still very entry-level.
    icon_sad.gif

I'm interested in CCNA and willing to learn and study hard for it. However, I don't have any certificate and I need some advices on certain topics.

Where should I start?
    Should I consider any other certification before CCNA?
    What do I need (books, materials, CDs, Labs ... etc) to pass CCNA?
    Would a CCNA boot-camp or Cisco academy really help? and how long is their period?
    Also, is 4 months period enough time to study, explore and understand materials to pass CCNA?

thanks,

I don't think you can say that you understand the basic of networking if you don't know the OSI, VLANs, or trunking. A lot of people recommends the Network+ before the CCNA, but personally, I would just start off with the CCENT.
  • MrRyteMrRyte Member Posts: 347 ■■■■□□□□□□
    This website helped me immensely with my Cisco studies:
    Router Alley - Guides icon_thumright.gif
    NEXT UP: CompTIA Security+ :study:

Life is a matter of choice not chance. The path to your destiny will be paved by the decisions that you make every day.
  • yazan84yazan84 Member Posts: 20 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks for the unput, I do have, however, a basic overall knowledge of OSI, VLans and truncking but really never went indepth in-depth.

Also, doesn't the CCENT covers the ICND1?
    I know that cisco requires to pass both ICND1 and ICND2 to receive your CCNA, correct me if I'm mistaken because I'm still a rookie!

One last thing, are there any academies or boot camps for Net+?

Thank you all for your inputs
  • alxxalxx Member Posts: 755
    lots of good information in the faq and other stickies in this forum

http://www.techexams.net/forums/ccna-ccent/6434-ccna-faq-please-read-before-posting.html

pass ICDN1 exam to get CCENT then pass ICND2 exam to get CCNA
    or do the one exam option for CCNA

If you've done a degree I see no need for net+
    get CCNA and work experience
    and go from there

Get the cisco books for ccna , get the lammle book
    cbt nuggets ccna videos and maybe the train signal ones

see Free practice exams and forums for CCNA, CCNP, and CCIE certificationsCCNA exam information and resources for 640-801, 640-811, 640-821

Free CCNA Workbook
    Goals CCNA by dec 2013, CCNP by end of 2014