Certificaiton Path

unknown1234unknown1234 Member Posts: 29 ■□□□□□□□□□
I am a leading network administrator and information systems security officer for my command in the US Navy. This year I made it my goal to become more marketable for when I get out in 2010 (wow, I'm depressed now). Up to this point I've recieved my A+, Network+ and in a few weeks hopefully will recieve my Security+. I'm stuck on what to do after this Security+ certification. This is what I have in mind, in relation to my job and future assignments:

Server+
Project+
MSCA+Security
CCNA

What would be your recommendations? I would like to recieve some input, or possibly hearing about other certifications that will not only make me more marketable, but enhance my overall performance. Thank you.

Comments

• Ten9t6Ten9t6 Member Posts: 691
    Jcrutled,

Welcome to the board... :D

When you say marketable, do you mean in any particular area like security or networking..and so on?

I would say that you have a good base going. If you want to be an administrator somewhere, you will want the Microsoft certs. And since you have until 2010, I would go a head and get the MCSE:Security. :D
    Something else that you did not mention, that I think would be good, is a Linux / Unix cert. This combined with the others will open more doors for you.

If you are looking to focus in Networking, Cisco is always good. I would look at the CCNA / CCNP. I would also possibly look at Juniper and Extreme Networks.

For Security, finish the Security+ and start looking towards the SSCP and CISSP. You can also look at Vendor specific security certs, but those really won't help you much if you don't work w/ the equipment.

So, I guess it really depends on where you see yourself, and what all changes between now and 2010. icon_wink.gif

Kenny
    Kenny

A+, Network+, Linux+, Security+, MCSE+I, MCSE:Security, MCDBA, CCNP, CCDP, CCSP, CCVP, CCIE Written (R/S, Voice),INFOSEC, JNCIA (M and FWV), JNCIS (M and FWV), ENA, C|EH, ACA, ACS, ACE, CTP, CISSP, SSCP, MCIWD, CIWSA
  • unknown1234unknown1234 Member Posts: 29 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks Kenny,

The MSCA seems more related to what I do right now, what are your feelings towards the MSCE?

I was considering Linux+ but I do not administer any of those systems, and I probably could get the cert from studying but it's will not be applied to what I do, so therefore is it a wasted cert?

I definately want to get the CCNA and move on to CCNP within the next year. Thats a huge one for me.

Now the CISSP, what type of maintenance that requires? Is that required to be renewed every year?

Thanks for the reply, this site has been great to learn from others.
  • ad5mbad5mb Member Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Now, listen up, Anchor Clanker:

Check this website. Scroll down to the middle, under

Market Share for Top Servers Across All Domains August 1995 - October 2005

http://news.netcraft.com/archives/web_server_survey.html

See that blue line, for Apache? Most of those are running under Linux or a variation. You might want to try Linux.

I have
    A+
    Network+
    i-Net+ ( a waste of time )
    Server+
    Working on Security+ and CWNA simultaneously.

CWNA: http://www.cwnp.com/cwna/index.html

Then I am going for CWSP, then all 4 CWNP certs.

Give some consideration to CTT+:
    http://www.comptia.org/certification/ctt/default.aspx

Oh,yeah. I have some Micro$oft certs, too, but I got offended by their habit of retiring certs.
    The CWNA sounds pretty interesting, how does it compare to the Network+ cert? Also, how do you feel about the Server+.

By definition the i-net+ sounds great, after reviewing the forum it seems to be very unpopular and to some extent worthless unless your trying to add another bullet to your resume.

Linux+ sounds promising, I'll find out if my next command administors any unix/linux based domains. If thats the case, I'll persue that. Thanks for bringing that to my attention.

I read up on the CTT+, I'll definately consider that after my advancement exam in Sep 06.

I head the test expire, but the actual certification doesn't. Also if you wanted to upgrade from MCSA/MCSE 2000 to MCSA/MCSE 2003 it would be an abbreviated path. Thanks for the insight!
  • strauchrstrauchr Member Posts: 528 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Oh,yeah. I have some Micro$oft certs, too, but I got offended by their habit of retiring certs.

Just curious, what certs do you 'think' MS has retired?

jrest1982 - I would not put so much emphasis on Comptia certs if you want to be marketable. And that crap about linux servers is for Web servers only - not really the biggest IT market. However something like SUN certs would be useful if you like the *nix OS's. Its a 'real' enterprise OS.

But if you really want to be marketable it is a good idea to be qualifed and experienced in what probably about 90% of companies use and that is Cisco and MS. You or others may have a personal view against MS but its dominant and its rewarding.

Starting with MS and Cisco foundations can take you to a lot more accessible areas in IT such as firewall security, Citrix, VoIP, Wireless, Exchange etc. where as linux tends to be more about web servers and some dodgy backyard app running on a legacy system somewhere. They may not be entirely true but the point is there are a lot more opportunities for MS and Cisco and if I were to look at Linux I'd do it as an after thought after knowing how real enterprise networks hang together first.

The CWNA cert is a fantastic cert, easily the most interesting I have done to date. I can't compare to Network+ but a very good foundation knowledge of networking is really required to do this cert. Its a nice cert to break up the boredom from other longwinded certs like MCSE or CCNP but not a hugely marketable cert, but a nice niche skill to have.
    So should I not go after my Server+ cert?
  • MunckMunck Member Posts: 150
    Comptia Certs are - at best - doorstep entry level. If you want to stay at the bottum of the IT food chain, by all means continue to study them icon_rolleyes.gif

Like others have mentioned, it all depends on where you want to be (and what you want to do). For network/system administration I'll recommend the MS+Cisco route. For security, I'll recommend the CISSP combined with SANS GIAC certs.
    Thanks for the advice. I won't persue my Sever+. I think I will start working on my CCNA and then go after my MSCA 2003+Security. Thanks for putting things into perspective!
    what router sims are the best out there?
  • MunckMunck Member Posts: 150
    I used the Boson sim when I did my CCNA, worked great.
  • nothing_ptnothing_pt Member Posts: 44 ■■□□□□□□□□
    If you only get out of the navy in 2010 then it is not advisable to go for ccna right now. You have to recert every 3 years.
    Instead you might go for MCSA 2003+security for example.
    If you're interested in security and have the requirements for it you can think about CISSP too, it's, probably, the best security cert out there.
    What are the maintenance requirements for CISSP?
  • WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    jrest1982 wrote:
    What are the maintenance requirements for CISSP?
    Earning sufficient CPE points and pay a small fee over a three year period. Check out this post for some more info about how you can earn CPEs and our Security Certifications forum for more info about CISSP.
  • determinedgermandeterminedgerman Member Posts: 168
    Hey jrest1982,

I have to agree with everybody on what certs to take.....BUT CompTia certs have one good thing. Most of them do not expire. They are good for life. It is always better to have 2 certs instead of 1 cert on your resume. If you are interested in the topic I would not say no to a cert like Server+. Remember, the more certs you have the more knowledge you should posses (if you are studying for the exams and not cheating).

Just another thing to put on your resume.
  • ajs1976ajs1976 Member Posts: 1,945 ■■■■□□□□□□
    jrest1982 wrote:
    I am a leading network administrator and information systems security officer for my command in the US Navy. This year I made it my goal to become more marketable for when I get out in 2010 (wow, I'm depressed now). Up to this point I've recieved my A+, Network+ and in a few weeks hopefully will recieve my Security+. I'm stuck on what to do after this Security+ certification. This is what I have in mind, in relation to my job and future assignments:

2010 is a long way off, but will probably come fast.

If you are looking at going the cisco route, I would start working on the CCNA, and then the CCNP.

If you are looking into the netadmin / security route, go for MCSA 2003, MCSE 2003, and then MCSE: Security. You can stick a CCNA in there somewhere but remember that Cisco certs need renewed every three years, so make that one as close to 2010 as you can.

I had a linux class for my associates and used that to help me get ready for the Linux+. Since then I have not touched a linux system and have forgotten most of what I learned, so at has not been very usefull to me.
    Andy

2020 Goals: 0 of 2 courses complete, 0 of 2 exams complete