Assistance Purchasing Lab Equipment CCNA

2»

Comments

• MAC_AddyMAC_Addy Member Posts: 1,740 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Those look like 25xx routers.
    2017 Certification Goals:
    CCNP R/S
  • ITVinceITVince Member Posts: 143
    What about in terms of connectivity? My home network is all in shelving in my closet, each room has an internet jack. The closet setup currently has a Cable Modem and Linksys Router, and the router has cabling to a patch panel which makes all lines in the house internet ready. My office has an internet jack, should I just be able to wire the the Catalyst switch to the wall, then switch to the router? Is this going to screw up connectivity? I'd like to keep the two separate. Any ideas is appreciated. Or is connectivity to the internet not even required?
    Currently studying for:
    MCTS 70-642 Network Infrastructure
    MAC_Addy wrote: »
    I have some spare 1721's if you want them?

They don't have any WIC's in them, though.

Sent you a PM, who can explain WICS and their physical connections / purpose? I understand they are for WAN connectivity. What do you physically connect WICS to?
    Currently studying for:
    ITVince wrote: »
    Sent you a PM, who can explain WICS and their physical connections / purpose? I understand they are for WAN connectivity. What do you physically connect WICS to?
    They're used to simulate a WAN connection.
    Example WIC1T on one router connected via serial cable to another WIC1T. Configure the IP's and subnets just like an ISP would. Then you'd use your FA port to connect to your LAN.
    CCNP R/S
    They're used to simulate a WAN connection.
    Example WIC1T on one router connected via serial cable to another WIC1T. Configure the IP's and subnets just like an ISP would. Then you'd use your FA port to connect to your LAN.

That makes perfect, sense, thank you for the explaination
    Currently studying for:
    Then in in terms of routers, is this what I am looking for?
    Cisco 1721 Router w/ serial WIC and Cisco power supply | eBay

Cisco 1721 w/ Serial WIC, not the WIC-1DSU? Or does it work the same way, I can purcahse two 1721's with WIC-1DSU's and attach together to get the same simulation?
    Currently studying for:
  • murdoctxmurdoctx Member Posts: 13 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Yes, a DSU/CSU is the device that connects an ethernet to a T carrier (serial link)
  • alxxalxx Member Posts: 755
    Then in in terms of routers, is this what I am looking for?
    Cisco 1721 Router w/ serial WIC and Cisco power supply | eBay

Cisco 1721 w/ Serial WIC, not the WIC-1DSU? Or does it work the same way, I can purcahse two 1721's with WIC-1DSU's and attach together to get the same simulation?

I'd ask how much ram and flash are installed
    and ask if he would send you the output of the show version command
    which will give the ios version and how much ram and flash are installed.

It does look to be a 32MB flash model but sometimes people swap the internals over .

This is the sort of thing you want to see in an ebay add(yes its one I just sold)
    It has amount of ram and flash and ios version and output of show version command
    http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/290618162294?ssPageName=STRK:MESOX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1562.l2649#ht_898wt_877

Goals CCNA by dec 2013, CCNP by end of 2014
    alxx wrote: »
    I'd ask how much ram and flash are installed
    and ask if he would send you the output of the show version command
    which will give the ios version and how much ram and flash are installed.

It does look to be a 32MB flash model but sometimes people swap the internals over .

This is the sort of thing you want to see in an ebay add(yes its one I just sold)
    It has amount of ram and flash and ios version and output of show version command
    http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/290618162294?ssPageName=STRK:MESOX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1562.l2649#ht_898wt_877

How much RAM/FLASH is required for the latest IOS to run? Is the latest IOS neccessary for CCENT and CCNA studies?
    Currently studying for:
    I think the exam tests you on 12.4 iOS - I might be wrong on that. I think the 2610xm's are probably the best bet, plus it has fast ethernet ports versus the ethernet ports. Plus the 2610xm's support SDM (once you configure the VLAN you'll be able to access the SDM GUI from a web interface).
    CCNP R/S
    I think the exam tests you on 12.4 iOS - I might be wrong on that. I think the 2610xm's are probably the best bet, plus it has fast ethernet ports versus the ethernet ports. Plus the 2610xm's support SDM (once you configure the VLAN you'll be able to access the SDM GUI from a web interface).

Interesting, those are running around 50-60$ on ebay, not too bad. But def not as cheap as the 1721's lol
    Currently studying for:
    I just checked on Cisco's website, it looks like you can setup SDM on the 1721's. I think it just depends on the iOS and the memory.
    CCNP R/S
    Just to be clear

Having trouble finding any 1721's with Serial WIC's, does it matter? What if they have WIC-1ENET and WIC-1DSU? Just different technologies/connections but I can perform the same lab scenarios?
    Currently studying for:
  • echo465echo465 Banned Posts: 115
    Just to be clear

Having trouble finding any 1721's with Serial WIC's, does it matter? What if they have WIC-1ENET and WIC-1DSU? Just different technologies/connections but I can perform the same lab scenarios?
    You can buy the WIC's separately. Look for WIC-2T's, they're pretty inexpensive and give you 2 serial interfaces in 1 WIC slot. Cisco's WIC Card compatibility matrix tells you what connections different WIC cards have.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/routers/ps214/products_tech_note09186a00800ae37f.shtml
    echo465 wrote: »
    You can buy the WIC's separately. Look for WIC-2T's, they're pretty inexpensive and give you 2 serial interfaces in 1 WIC slot. Cisco's WIC Card compatibility matrix tells you what connections different WIC cards have.

WAN Interface Card (WIC) / Platform Hardware Compatibility Matrix for 1600, 1700, 2600, 3600 and 3700 Series Routers - Cisco Systems

Thank you very much for this clarification and resource. icon_study.gificon_thumright.gificon_study.gif

What's the purpose of having 2 Serials instead of one? Chaning more routers to one another?
    Currently studying for:
    OK, I picked up a 1721 router with WIC-2T for 20$. Figure i'll start off with one so far since i'm such a newb. Also bidding on a 2960 switch. icon_cheers.gif
    Currently studying for:
  • universalfrostuniversalfrost Member Posts: 247
    like others have said shop around.

I have seen 1760's with max mem and flash going for cheap at $25 per pop and shipping was free (I bought the 3 the guy had) and they came with the wic 1t.

also, same for switches. I scored a 3550 EMI for $50 with only 30 shipping... it did need a new fan, but I had a spare 3550 that was fried that had a good fan... for the 3550 if you buy and SMI you can easily flash to an EMI image and if you register with cisco you can get the images from them.

for router images you can usually find a torrent for them or just contact cisco and they usually cut you a deal... I actually got my IOS's for free from cisco when I gave them my companies email address and I verified my account info.

for my lab setup I went with 2x 3550's (both running EMI images), 3x 2950, 3 x 1760, 2 x 2610XM and a few others plus if you have a wic 1dsu-t1 you can still use them for serial links

see the link here Cisco Cert Zone: The Best Router for CCNP Prep in 2010
    "Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati" (when all else fails play dead) -Red Green
  • bishunbishun Member Posts: 33 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I'm looking to get a couple 1760s and one 1721 as routers for my lab. Best case scenario would I want a single WIC-2T module for each of the routers? Would that be sufficient for the triangle configuration of routers suggest by Odom here? Also I'm assuming I would want 3(?) crossover cables compatible for this interface type?

Any help would be appreciated.
  • alan2308alan2308 Member Posts: 1,854 ■■■■■■■■□□
    bishun wrote: »
    I'm looking to get a couple 1760s and one 1721 for router, best case scenario would I want a single WIC-2T module for each of the routers? Would that be sufficient for the triangle configuration of routers suggest by Odom here? Also I'm assuming I would 3(?) crossover cables compatible for this interface type?

Any help would be appreciated

Yes, a WIC-2T or WIC-2A/S for each will be sufficient when you have 3 routers. You'll need 3 smart serial to smart serial cables to connect them. Something like this, but shop around for a better price.
    alan2308 wrote: »
    Yes, a WIC-2T or WIC-2A/S for each will be sufficient when you have 3 routers. You'll need 3 smart serial to smart serial cables to connect them. Something like this, but shop around for a better price.

Thanks for taking the time to respond, I can tell its been a long day after reading my own writing - horrible grammar.
  • Ltat42aLtat42a Member Posts: 587 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Buying premade labs is usually a bad , expensive idea.

Usually older equipment at a premium price

There are premade labs for around $500 with 2x2500 routers and a 2600 and 3 plain 2950 switches (or worse)
    compared to paying around $100 to $150 on ebay for the same equipment, which are you going to go for ?

Why pay good money for ancient equipment which doesn't cover all the features you need for ccna let alone anything else,
    when you could spend the same amount and get equipment that will cover you for ccna and ccnp ?

3x 1721's + 3x 2950 swiches or 3x1721's + 2x 2950 + 1x 3550 or 3x 1751's or mix of them
    and should cost around $250 to $350 with cables (serial and ethernet)
    or cost less if you are patient and get lucky
  • Ltat42aLtat42a Member Posts: 587 ■■■□□□□□□□

Usually older equipment at a premium price

There are premade labs for around $500 with 2x2500 routers and a 2600 and 3 plain 2950 switches (or worse)
    compared to paying around $100 to $150 on ebay for the same equipment, which are you going to go for ?

Why pay good money for ancient equipment which doesn't cover all the features you need for ccna let alone anything else,
    when you could spend the same amount and get equipment that will cover you for ccna and ccnp ?

3x 1721's + 3x 2950 swiches or 3x1721's + 2x 2950 + 1x 3550 or 3x 1751's or mix of them
    and should cost around $250 to $350 with cables (serial and ethernet)
    or cost less if you are patient and get lucky

True...true
    Piecing your devices from ebay, you do miss out on the documentation, the labs, workbook, videos, etc... that are included in the kit. I was reviewing their kits to see what devices they have in them.
    All the documentation is freely available on ciscos website.

Quite a few free work books out there, plus you can always buy workbooks else where and still save money or download a few free ones from this forum.

Stub Area » CCNA Workbook
    http://www.techexams.net/forums/ccna-ccent/70766-configure-network-ccna-lab-scenarios.html

http://www.techexams.net/forums/ccna-ccent/340-technotes-ccna.html

Plus most of the books have labs in them.

For videos better off spending your money on the cbt nuggets or train signal videos

I just bought: 2x 1760 Routers (128D/32F) + 2x WIC-T2 + 2x 2950T-24 (Switches) + 1x Smart Serial crossover cable for ~$250

For $259 at ciscokits you receive 2x 2501 Routers (8D/8F) + 2x 2924 switches + all cabling needed sure; the 2500 series was introduced in 1993 to give you some perspective.
    Yep.
    The 1760's are nice. Paid $75ea for 2 of mine and swapped a six pack for the other.
    ...swapped a six pack for the other.

The best type of business.
    alan2308 wrote: »
    Something like this, but shop around for a better price.

If anyone else is looking for smart serial crossovers (or other serial crossovers), Dantrak has them on the cheap.
    So I have 2x Cisco 1760 Router (each with WIC-2T) - that is 2 serial interfaces per router
    and i have 1x Cisco 2620XM (with a NM-4A/S) - that is 4 serial interfaces

I am hoping to lab Wendel's http://www.certskills.com/LabGear/CCNA/Topologies.aspx#rtTriangle

My question is how many cross over cables would I want. I'm aware I'm working with 2 different interfaces, Smart Serial and the DB60, but I'm wondering which ends should be DCE and DTE for hooking the two different interfaces up, or what makes the most sense, giving me the most labbing opportunities.

I'm studying for my CCENT, but am preparing for the CCNA, my understanding of Frame Relay is still limited. Thanks for any assistance.
    At minimum 3 cables for a router triangle + 1 db60 to db60 for the frame relay link(doing the link/loop on one router)
    so
    1x smart serial - wic2t to wic2t
    2x smart serial to db60 - wic2t to wic1t/nm4a/s
    1x db60 to db60 - wic1t/nm4a/s to wic1t/nm4a/s

TechExams.Net CCNA TechLab: Configuring Frame Relay

Cisco Frame Relay Configurations > Configuring a Cisco Router as a Frame Relay SwitchFrame Relay Switch Configuration For Cisco Lab

Easy way to visualise it is to draw up a diagram of the network, then label it with the interfaces and then the ip's you are going to use.

visio if you have it, omnigraffle on mac/ipad or dia (free on most os).
    For visio can download symbols etc from cisco
    Network Topology Icons - Cisco SystemsProduct Support Visio Stencils - Cisco Systems

Free Cisco CCNA and CCNP study guides