CCNA Discovery / Exploration ?

killwarkillwar Member Posts: 29 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi guys i'm interested with the CCNA but i'm confused about the CCNA Discovery and Exploration thing i came across.

What exactly are these two and why are they mentionned ?

Are they different to the 640-802 exam?

i want to do a CCNA training but i'm lost quite about on what to do exactly since all i saw all these CCNA options

Someone can help me understand icon_cool.gif

Comments

• BrakarificBrakarific Member Posts: 23 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I'm not sure about Discovery, but all of the Net Academy classes that I went through were Exploration courses. My College (Idaho State University) had a partnership with Cisco Net Academy, so my college networking courses were basically Cisco courses, which wasn't a bad thing. The Exploration classes will teach you everything you need to know for the exam, but they spend a great deal of time, months and months, covering each one of their courses. If I remember right the sections were Networking Fundamentals, Routing, Switching, and WAN. You could spend 2 months covering each one of those if you followed the Net Academy structure. It all depends on how quickly you want to try and learn. I am grateful that I could take my time with these though while I was in college.

The downside - After the courses, I spent another month studying about an hour every other night just to solidify the topics we covered way back at the beginning that I was already starting to get fuzzy on again. I ended up passing the test though.
  • brad-brad- Member Posts: 1,218
    If you want to start CCNA, i highly recommend the CBT nuggets for initial pickup of the info, and practical lab setups. I would do those videos several times while working on my own test lab, and then the books. IMHO the books can throw too much info at you early and make it hard to figure out where things are going.
  • onesaintonesaint Member Posts: 801
    killwar wrote: »
    Hi guys i'm interested with the CCNA but i'm confused about the CCNA Discovery and Exploration thing i came across.

What exactly are these two and why are they mentionned ?

Are they different to the 640-802 exam?

i want to do a CCNA training but i'm lost quite about on what to do exactly since all i saw all these CCNA options

Someone can help me understand icon_cool.gif

The Discovery and Exploration are the two course options for the Cisco Networking Academy. They are each a collection of 4 books. The Discovery courses are said to be more design and concept oriented, while the Exploration are more factual and less abstract. They both are geared towards learning the requirements for the 640-802.

I've taken the Network Academy courses through my local B&M and we did the Discovery courses. I didn't care for the delivery method. In my post studies for the exam the Exploration books have been much more helpful. Note that once you take an Academy course you have access to all 8 books online.

As for training, do you want to self study, take class from a local college, Etc.? Answering that will better define what materials you need. Generally speaking if you search the forum for the words "passed" and "CCNA" you'll find plenty of reviews and information about good self study resources.
    Work in progress: picking up Postgres, elastisearch, redis, Cloudera, & AWS.
    Next up: eventually the RHCE and to start blogging again.

Control Protocol; my blog of exam notes and IT randomness