Books for the BGP exam?

bomber456bomber456 Member Posts: 42 ■■■□□□□□□□
Hi,
What books are recommended reading for this exam? Doesn't seem to ones geared just for this exam, but more general ones?

any advise would be great!

thanks

Comments

• TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□
    bomber456 wrote: »
    Hi,
    What books are recommended reading for this exam? Doesn't seem to ones geared just for this exam, but more general ones?

any advise would be great!

thanks

Doyle Vol II
    Halibi dated but worth a look.
  • bomber456bomber456 Member Posts: 42 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Is it okay that some of these books are like 10 years old?!
  • networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod

Yep, just make sure you supplement with some newer info as well. You can get plenty of free info on Cisco's website.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□

Sure. Basic principles still apply. Longest match, BGP attributes etc. Best Path algorithm. The oldies are sometimes the goodies ;)
  • jovan88jovan88 Member Posts: 393
    Almost as old as the exam :D
  • ScalesScales Member Posts: 95 ■■□□□□□□□□
    The student guide from the official Cisco BGP course is pretty good, however, unless you do the course or know someone that has done it you will struggle to get these.
  • SteveO86SteveO86 Member Posts: 1,423
    down77 wrote: »

Yep, those books are great. I'd starting with the BGP portion of routing TCP/IP Volume II then move on to IRA and end up with BGP D & I.

Those are the books I used to get familiar with due to my exposure to BGP at work and to prepare for the BGP Exam.
    My Networking blog
    Latest blog post: Let's review EIGRP Named Mode
    Currently Studying: CCNP: Wireless - IUWMS
  • SeefateSeefate Member Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I just took and passed the BGP test today. I used the following stuff and got by alright.

Halabi's Internet Routing Arch.
    Boson CCIP BGP test simulation
    Cisco BGP Case Studies and command references on their website
    GNS3 + GNS3vault.com

As usual Cisco throws the "What the?!" questions in there but I got by with a 837.
    jovan88 wrote: »

Yeah and it really shows in the test...lol
  • lrblrb Member Posts: 526
    jovan88 wrote: »

So true! All of the CCIP exams (bar ROUTE) could use a refresher. It's always great to see an exam question where they still refer to 768k circuits as 'high speed WAN links' :)
  • nelnel Member Posts: 2,859 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Seefate wrote: »
    I just took and passed the BGP test today. I used the following stuff and got by alright.

Halabi's Internet Routing Arch.
    Boson CCIP BGP test simulation
    Cisco BGP Case Studies and command references on their website
    GNS3 + GNS3vault.com

As usual Cisco throws the "What the?!" questions in there but I got by with a 837.

Can i ask how long you studied for and what type of experiance you have? im going to head to the IP track i think after NP due to work projects and are just wondering the difference in length of study when compared to route, for example.
    Xbox Live: Bring It On

Bsc (hons) Network Computing - 1st Class
    WIP: Msc advanced networking
    nel wrote: »
    Can i ask how long you studied for and what type of experiance you have? im going to head to the IP track i think after NP due to work projects and are just wondering the difference in length of study when compared to route, for example.

To put it into perspective I picked up my CCNA in April and started studying for the BGP test with no prior knowledge in May. I was on and off until August and pushed harder over the past 8 - 10 weeks to round out my skills. So I don't think it's outside the realm of possibility to do this test in 12 - 16 weeks if you're diligent with it.
  • bomber456bomber456 Member Posts: 42 ■■■□□□□□□□
    went for this :
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/1587051095

got the INE bootcamp also which i've started working through. :)