Passed...What now?

ViKiJaanViKiJaan Member Posts: 7 ■■■□□□□□□□
Hey guys!

I'm a longtime reader, first time poster. I just passed my N+ this morning with a score of 875/900. Now I'm debating as to what I should continue on to next (I know this question has been asked a number of times). Initially I was thinking along the lines of maybe Security+, then Linux+, or MCITP: Desktop Support Technician, maybe an ITIL (over the next year or two). Now I'm reading more about CCENT/CCNA. First question being, considering I've passed N+, should I bother with CCENT? I'm the type of person where I'd rather learn from ground up. Basically I don't want to start CCNA and when they talk about configuring Cisco routers they expect you to know how to configure via console and know a bunch of commands. Currently I have A+, 70-680, and now N+. Any thoughts? Or if someone can point me to the right direction or some insight as to the paths they've taken and what kind of jobs they have obtained.

Thanks for any help in advance!

Comments

• Skoal_ManSkoal_Man Member Posts: 28 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Congrats, what kind of job do you want?
  • Mike-MikeMike-Mike Member Posts: 1,860
    if you have any desire to get the CCENT or CCNA, I say do it now while Net+ is fresh in your brain. I passed Net+ last November, and then didn't mess with Networking again until my recent CCENT studies. it would have been easier with that Net+ still on the tip of my tongue.

but going for the Security+ right afterward would work too, there's a lot of overlap between a+/net+/sec+
    Currently Working On

CWTS, then WireShark
  • whatthehellwhatthehell Member Posts: 920
    CCENT/CCNA makes sense, if you have the OSI layers, some idea of subnetting, etc etc in your head from the N+.

Congratz on passing, and good luck in whatever you do!
    2017 Goals:
    [ ] Security + [ ] 74-409 [ ] CEH
    Future Goals:
    TBD
  • ViKiJaanViKiJaan Member Posts: 7 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Well I think I'm leaning more towards doing a CCENT/CCNA. I'm guessing it's best to start with CCENT then? Do you know whether I would have to purchase equipment and such to create my own lab (or have access to a networking lab)? I've read around that there is a simulations component to this exam as well.
  • DarrilDarril Member Posts: 1,588
    Congratulations.

I'd echo Mike-Mike. If you do the Security+ exam, right after, you'll find that you already know most of the technical material since you covered it in the Network+ exam. You'll need to study some, but you'll find that there's a lot of overlap.

On the other hand, if you want to play with some routers and switches, there's nothing wrong with pursuing the CCENT/CCNA.

Darril Gibson
    blog
    I went straight from Net+ to reading Darril's book cover to cover, then taking the Security+ 2 weeks later. Then I went on to MCDST. That's no longer an option of course. So I'd recommend finishing up Security+ then going on to CCENT.
    Currently Working On

CWTS, then WireShark
  • DevilryDevilry Member Posts: 668
    I think CCENT/CCNA is the next good option, just because all the networking is fresh on your mind.
  • ViKiJaanViKiJaan Member Posts: 7 ■■■□□□□□□□
    hmmmm okie haha you guys have got me thinking since there's quite some overlap between sec+ and net+ i might as well knock down the sec+ cert, and even so net+ should be fresh in my head anyhow (due to the overlap) to knock down CCENT. Ultimately I'm going to compare a few books for both of them before making my decision. Can anyone recommend books for either/or?
  • kriscamaro68kriscamaro68 Member Posts: 1,186 ■■■■■■■□□□
    ViKiJaan wrote: »
    hmmmm okie haha you guys have got me thinking since there's quite some overlap between sec+ and net+ i might as well knock down the sec+ cert, and even so net+ should be fresh in my head anyhow (due to the overlap) to knock down CCENT. Ultimately I'm going to compare a few books for both of them before making my decision. Can anyone recommend books for either/or?

This is really the only reference I used and passed with an 850: Amazon.com: CompTIA Security+: Get Certified Get Ahead: SY0-201 Study Guide (9781439236369): Darril Gibson: Books
    i used the above book, and the preplogic study guide, plus the cds from the Sybex book for testing
    Currently Working On

CWTS, then WireShark
  • MrBrianMrBrian Member Posts: 520
    Go for your CCNA!! Of course I say this because that's what I did.. icon_wink.gif

CCNA covers a broad range of topics, and yes, you'll need to be fluid with Cisco's ios commands. However, you will also learn basic tcp/ip which is great. And Cisco products are out there everywhere, so there are tons of business who want to hire people who know how to configure Cisco products. To gain a basic understanding, you wouldn't need to purchase real equipment, but if you do, it'll help. Alternatively, you can download "Packet Tracer" for free. This is what I used to get through the CCNA. It's a simulator that lets you practice all of the commands and gets you familiar with ios and it helped me a great deal at first. Cisco ios is very user friendly, trust me. You can question mark at any step, and it will give you all the possible commands you can enter from that step. I'm currently studying CCNP, but will probably venture into Juniper shortly after just to be fluent in two of the main networking players. To be honest though, all of this will come easier the more you understand, and master, tcp/ip. It all spins off from that. Hone in on what you find most interesting, be it voice, security, r and s, software, programming, and then go hardcore in that direction.
    Currently reading: Internet Routing Architectures by Halabi
  • Dakinggamer87Dakinggamer87 Member Posts: 4,016 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Congrats on pass!! icon_thumright.gif
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."

Certs/Business Licenses In Progress: AWS Solutions Architect, Series 6, Series 63
  • snokerpokersnokerpoker Member Posts: 661 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I agree with most here, go for CCENT/CCNA next!