70-680...passed!!

erpadminerpadmin Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
I am now Windows 7 certified!

While many 70-680 passed threads had inspired my win, this thread:

http://www.techexams.net/forums/windows-7-exams/70493-70-680-booked-10-1-a.html gets special mention!! I was able to concentrate my efforts on deployment and that, and Installing, Upgrading and Migrating to Windows 7 were my strongest (the bars can't go anymore). Tr1x's notes plus TechNet and the MSPress book found on 70-680 had helped me passed. And of course, the Professor Messer videos...all thirteen hours were done in about 3.5 days. Did labbin as I went, hand wrote my own notes, then supplemented with the MS Press book and TechNet. (Seriously....you need Technet if you want to pass MS exams....you just do)

The questions I got were very similar to jmritenour's as a lot of my questions were based on PAST experience with dealing with Client O/Ses. Configuring NTFS permissions, and the like.

jmasterj206 was correct in that someone who's had experience dealing with Client O/Ses beyond a power-user level should not have a problem with this exam. However, I didn't get a 900....however, since I had 70-640, and 70-642 under my belt, it really helped me for those Branchcache questions, NAP, DirectAccess, etc.

Seriously, don't be afraid of this test....if you really focus, you can pass this on the first try like I did....I'm just shocked as all heck. OH, one other thing!!!

I don't care what anybody says....I'm now a believer in the survey correlation to the MS exam....1-2 years plus moderate=pass!! Skipping questions you're not sure of and going back to them later after really, really reading them=Pass!! My three successes plus one failure (when I didn't do any of that) is proof! Circumstantial proof, but proof nonetheless [Hey, if it can convict folks in California [and other states] it's good enough for me.]

Man, I'm tired....I'm going to update both the Student Experience WGU experience thread and my EA thread and then I'm gonna enjoy some DS9 on Netflix. I couldn't even eat this morning, that's how nervous I was, but I drank a crap load of coffee. :D

In about two weeks, I'm gunning for the 70-643....that will give me a good month for 70-647 and then I not only get my EA, but I graduate college too! :D

Comments

• N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Very nicely done. You have really set out on a mission and are about to achieve all your goals.

If I had to sum up your adventure I would use the word 'Inspiring'
  • PsoasmanPsoasman Member Posts: 2,687 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Congrats on your pass! Good luck on the 643 and 647.
  • Excellent1Excellent1 Member Posts: 462 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Congrats, Erp :)

As for your strategy--it's obviously working, so keep it up. As always, the advice you've given here is relevant and appreciated.
  • GzainGzain Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I'd like to know what kind of question pool you studied with for the test.
    Congrats on your pass.
  • KrunchiKrunchi Member Posts: 237
    Great Job!
    Certifications: A+,Net+,MCTS-620,640,642,643,659,MCITP-622,623,646,647,MCSE-246
  • erpadminerpadmin Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Gzain wrote: »
    I'd like to know what kind of question pool you studied with for the test.
    Congrats on your pass.

After the 70-640, I used uCertify, but it really isn't helpful, IMO and I actually stopped relying on practice exams. For MS, they give you a false sense of security and then you end up studying the questions instead of passing.

As I was working with MS Press 70-680 and professormessor, I just used the questions from the book and read up on TechNet. (The one on skillsoft) I even read the errata.

Believe me...a lot of the questions that MS asks...you can actually use process of elimination. One of things that helped me was something I've always known about MS:

Deny trumps Allow. When dealing with a permission question, that little tidbit helps. :) I wish I could be more specific...I really do.
  • universalfrostuniversalfrost Member Posts: 247
    and read up on TechNet. (The one on skillsoft) I even read the errata.

which one are you referencing on skillsoft? I have access to skillsoft through work (DoD) and I am currently studying for teh 70-680 and I had started the 70-680 courses on skillsoft, but ditched them because there was just so much wrong or error riddled info on the courses.
    "Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati" (when all else fails play dead) -Red Green
  • erpadminerpadmin Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    which one are you referencing on skillsoft? I have access to skillsoft through work (DoD) and I am currently studying for teh 70-680 and I had started the 70-680 courses on skillsoft, but ditched them because there was just so much wrong or error riddled info on the courses.

Oooo....I stopped uses the skillsoft courses a long time a go. They were useless when I was going for Project+.

Now, I'm talking about ISBN: 9780735627086 (the MS Press book on Skillport's/SkillSoft's Books 24x7.) I have gone cheap and decided to stick to not buying books...that's why I've been supplementing what I read on MS Press books with Technet. I didn't have to worry about errors. :)
  • WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    Congratulations and good luck with the 70-643!