Terrified

fl00kyfl00ky Registered Users Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hey all, I'm a recent college grad (end of last year) and recently moved from Canada to the US looking for jobs. I did a quick online course with the University of Phoenix for the A+. (Not sure I'd recommend it, tbh) Anyways, after so long, I managed to get a call for a job. However, the job requires me to have my certification. I was looking to set up test dates this week in any case. However, I'm terrified that I don't know anything. I know most basics that any intermediate computer user should know, so I have the ability to learn. Thing is, I've seen practice questions online and a lot of them are ridiculously detailed, like questions about 'which socket features this..'? Not sure if I'm looking at the right questions, but based on those, I'm almost certain I'd fail. What I'd like to know: 1) Is the real exam, in 2011, this detailed? 2) How many tries do you get at this before the organization won't accept it anymore? 3) How long does it take to get results back? I am using the CompTIA A+ Complete Study Guide by Docter, Dulaney, Skandier. I have a feeling all the questions I've been looking at are for another exam, not the 701/702. I looked through the questions on CompTIA's website and those seemed more in line of what to expect. I know I should search the forums more, but I'm just so nervous now. It's coming up to 6-8 months of no work and it's really hurting me atm. Thanks for your time guys. I appreciate any time you give towards answering my questions.

Comments

• cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    Welcome aboard. Can you point us to the source for those questions? We can definitely tell you if you are in the right track or not.
  • fl00kyfl00ky Registered Users Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hmmm, I'll have to do a quick search. I've usually just googled "A+ Practice Questions" or something similar and worked on the results I've been given.
  • MrRyteMrRyte Member Posts: 347 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Maybe it's me; but you don't sound like you're ready to take the exam yet. As for the job; why take it if you're not qualified for it? You may end up doing yourself more harm than good in the long run.....icon_sad.gif
    NEXT UP: CompTIA Security+ :study:

Life is a matter of choice not chance. The path to your destiny will be paved by the decisions that you make every day.
  • BlackoutBlackout Member Posts: 512 ■■■■□□□□□□
    If you need to take the exam quickly, and you don't have the time to read and study from a book, do a crash course in brain surgery on professormessor.com. He has a whole A+ section, as I said if you dont have time to read the book, watch his videos. Im not gonna make any promises you will pass but it will be better than no knowledge.
    Current Certification Path: CCNA, CCNP Security, CCDA, CCIE Security

"Practice doesn't make perfect. Perfect practice makes perfect"

Vincent Thomas "Vince" Lombardi
    The job itself deals with hardware installations of basic components. Something I've done numerous times. In addition, it's not like I have the job just yet. I'll still have to complete tests with the hiring company before I'm offered anything.

I agree with your general message. I wouldn't want to do a job if my foundations in the field of work are lacking.

With that said, I think I'm doing ok with the material for the most part. It's just certain areas I need to brush up on.

Do you guys have any insight towards the other questions I posed in the original post?

Thanks for your time.
    Blackout wrote: »
    If you need to take the exam quickly, and you don't have the time to read and study from a book, do a crash course in brain surgery on professormessor.com. He has a whole A+ section, as I said if you dont have time to read the book, watch his videos. Im not gonna make any promises you will pass but it will be better than no knowledge.

Thanks for the link. I am currently reading the book I have and I'm trying not force it on myself. If I somehow were to take the exam tomorrow and pass, the certification would be useless for me if I didn't gain much knowledge in the process.

When I said the lack of employment was hurting me, I primarily meant my resume. As it stands though, if the exam is indeed going to be too hard for me, I'll just look for a part time job as a waiter or something and work towards achieving the certification properly.

I also wanted to add that I'm not a computer newbie.

I have a theoretical and practical background in programming. (Granted it's not a lot, but enough to do basic stuff). I've managed to install and conduct work arounds in Linux. I've built my own computers before, etc.

However, some of the theory from the material isn't stuff one thinks about all the time and as such, some of it is brand new to me.
  • DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Don't be too terrified. You might see some questions like that, but they are very basic. Mouse, Keyboard, VGA.

The test wasn't that difficult. I spent about a week preparing for each exams, using mostly Transcender. I had a lot of experience with computers so it was mostly just honing in my skills. For example, printers. The A+ I took loved printers. By using Transcender and reading the explanations, I learned enough about them to pass the test.

Like somebody else said, run through the videos. If you are really on a time pinch, take a go at it and see what happens. Might be out a few bucks or you might pass and get the job.

Good luck
    Decide what to be and go be it.
  • swildswild Member Posts: 828
    I have to put in my two cents about the A+.

I passed it in June 2010 taking the tests 3 days apart. I wholehartedly recommend Mike Meyer's All-In-One for both the A+ and the Net+. Very easy to follow and includes everything you need to pass. I'm saying that you will know absolutely every question, but he does cover 95% of what you need. Luckily I had experience fixing laser printers because my test had 6 questions about them. I personally know of a dozen or so people who have passed these exams and they had at most 2 printer questions, most of them had none. If your local bookstore has a copy of his book, go take a look at it (and then order it online). I was able to read through the whole book in less than 2 weeks.

Amazon.com: CompTIA A+ Certification All-in-One Exam Guide, Seventh Edition (Exams 220-701 & 220-702) (9780071701334): Michael Meyers: Books

I just wish he had a book for the Sec+. Darril Gibson's book just didn't do it for me.
    Thanks for the information everyone.

If I don't pass on my first try, I'll use the book you all are recommending. The one I currently use is from Sybex, IIRC. It doesn't seem too bad.

The issue is that when I was doing the program with UoP, they made use of three books to cover the topics. So one chapter in one book would be very very detailed with a lot of information that doesn't pertain to the test, while another may utilize concepts that they assume the reader should know, etc.

This was the one book that specifically is titled and claims to be a complete study guide, which is why I'm sticking to it for the time being.
  • TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□
    You are getting calls about a job so you will continue to get them even though you dont have A+. In other words, do it but in your own good time. That exam is very passable once you have put some reasonable time in with the books. You will be A+ certified in due course. Anyone who ever wanted it and studied properly passes this exam.
    Well, figured I'd update you guys on where I stand. The job passed me by. Never heard back from the people. They had me do an online Prove-It A+ test which I did very well on. The pass mark they were looking for was 65%, and I scored a 90 something.

It gave me a little confidence to ahead with the real exam. I took the 701 (Essentials) this morning and passed with a score in the 90+% range. Any advice on how to tackle the 702? I'm going out of town over the weekend so I may not be able to do it right away. But I'd rather study properly and then do it.

Once again, thanks for all the encouragement, reality checks and advice provided. I appreciate it. :)
  • N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    fl00ky wrote: »
    Well, figured I'd update you guys on where I stand. The job passed me by. Never heard back from the people. They had me do an online Prove-It A+ test which I did very well on. The pass mark they were looking for was 65%, and I scored a 90 something.

It gave me a little confidence to ahead with the real exam. I took the 701 (Essentials) this morning and passed with a score in the 90+% range. Any advice on how to tackle the 702? I'm going out of town over the weekend so I may not be able to do it right away. But I'd rather study properly and then do it.

Once again, thanks for all the encouragement, reality checks and advice provided. I appreciate it. :)

It's a bit tougher, but if you are hitting 90+ on 701 my money is on you to pass 702.
    N2IT wrote: »
    It's a bit tougher, but if you are hitting 90+ on 701 my money is on you to pass 702.

Thanks. The book I'm using from Sybex lists chapter intros based on A+ objectives.

The one thing that caught me by surprise was the number of questions on Windows 7. (Something not covered at all in the book) However I think I managed it fine since it is my primary operating system.
    Well, I passed with another score in the 90 range. Yes, I'm a little surprised.

The one thing that stood out during this exam is the level of coverage on Windows 7.

I did my exams through a prometric testing center and the person in charge let me know that comptia will e-mail me. Not sure what to do next. The documents with scores suggest I visit a website after 5 days and use my comptia login though I don't have one.

I'll figure it out though.

Thanks for all the tips and encouragement from you guys. :)
  • CodeBloxCodeBlox Member Posts: 1,363 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congrats, I took mine in april and oddly enough, I had no windows 7 stuff on mine.
    Currently reading: Network Warrior, Unix Network Programming by Richard Stevens
  • techie2012techie2012 Member Posts: 150
    In my honest opinion, it seems like it was a good thing that job didn't work out. It seems like they were more worried about the certification than your actual skills and what you could provide for the company....congrats on the pass! icon_thumright.gif
    (CCNP: Switch) Passed!
    (CCNP: Route) Goal: 11/15/12 Progress: 75%
    (CCNP: TShoot) Goal: 12/15/12 Progress: ​50%
    (Perl Scripting) Ongoing :study:
    Thanks guys.

As far as the job, I never heard back from them. (I did pass their preliminary exam with a decent score though)

I'm into the job-hunt mode now and I'm hoping I find something fast. I have a lot more to offer than just my certified skills.

I'm also considering the possibility of getting a start towards the Network+ certification. (I do have an interest in this area)