Struggling to stay motivated

PenfoldPenfold Member Posts: 43 ■■■□□□□□□□
Hi all,

I decided to learn Linux and have been using ubuntu for a month now. Got the Sybex LPIC-1 study guide but finding it hard to read this book from front to back. I mean for the first chapter it just seems to be all about memorizing a ton of abstract commands to manipulate files and text which seems really boring.

I'd like to hear how other people have managed to get through as I really want to learn Linux but quickly am getting put off with the book.

Comments

• N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Penfold wrote: »
    Hi all,

I decided to learn Linux and have been using ubuntu for a month now. Got the Sybex LPIC-1 study guide but finding it hard to read this book from front to back. I mean for the first chapter it just seems to be all about memorizing a ton of abstract commands to manipulate files and text which seems really boring.

I'd like to hear how other people have managed to get through as I really want to learn Linux but quickly am getting put off with the book.

A couple ideas come to mind.

Try to use a CBT, that might better suit you. Or maybe community college where you can interact with other students and lab in class. I find self studying over and over and over again really wears me out. I get to the point where you are at. In fact I am going through a struggle right now with the PMP. Anyway keep at it, but try a different method. Through self discovery I have found that each time I embark on a certification journey I have to use another strategy. A+ and N+ using the book was fine. Security + I used a book, but I also interacted with some security folks at my last job. That helped lock in the material. And yet again with ITIL intermediates I had to use CBT's and the books. With the PMP I attempted to go straight for the read and that failed miserably. I am now using the CBT's and it is really making sense. It's capturing all the processes and presenting them to my minds eye in a holistic view. I am now able to leverage my experience along with the framework and processes in a detailed and structured format.
  • PenfoldPenfold Member Posts: 43 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I was thinking of looking at the CBT or Train signal vids, anybody know if these are any good?
  • spiderjerichospiderjericho Registered Users, Member Posts: 890 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Pen fold, perhaps another approach. I have 0 Unix experience, so I decided to get the Linux for Dummies to give me the intro the Linux+/LPIC is missing. Download the latest Unbunto and maybe Fedora/red hat and follow along. Then go back to the LPIC book and supplement it with the Train Signal videos.
  • cisco_troopercisco_trooper Member Posts: 1,441 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I don't think it is a problem with your motivation so much as being overwhelmed by a resource that is too technical for you at this point. Go with an Introductory book to get you up and running. Just start using Linux and find the answers to your own personal questions as you have them. If you try to do too much too fast you will get sick of it and burn out. Pace yourself and have fun learning something new and you'll be golden before you know. This is especially true once you get over the beginner hump. Once that happens you will make more sense out of the more advanced topics much faster because you will have built a frame of reference that will go along way in anything new you try.
    spiderjericho & cisco_trooper, I think your both right at this moment in time the LPIC-1 study guide is too technical for me. Trying to cram something in which doesn't make sense is only frustrating me. I need to go back a few steps and pace myself, the Dummies book sounds like a good suggestion so might see if I can pick it up at the local library and hopefully the more intermediate steps will fall into place after having a play, cheers guys.
  • UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,564 Mod
    I haven't checked the LPIC material yet, but usually people start with CompTIA Linux+, so why don't you give it a try ? I know that the Sybex book is easy to read for Linux+ and I think it's a good start.

You don't really need to cram, just learn the commands, and practice practice practice. Forget about the exam now, just get the knowledge, the exam will be easy later.

Use this website:
    UGU.com

It has helpful tutorials. You just need to practice doing the commands until they become easy. Take your time, you're not in a hurry to take the exam, you need to learn the material properly. I agree with N2IT about the community college, or I think any training course will be helpful at this point.

If you're having difficulty with a certain topic, then we can help you here as well :)

What kind of work experience do you have ?
    Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Learn GRC! GRC Mastery : https://grcmastery.com 

Thanks I appreciate the help. I've not had any work experience with Linux/Unix, my background is mainly working with Windows XP, Server 2003 boxes and some networking as well.
  • UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,564 Mod
    Then no rush for getting certified now, just take your time in learning each topic, and practice until you can do everything without referring to the book. you can think of Linux+ after that, and maybe a linux/unix job :)
    Penfold wrote: »
    Thanks I appreciate the help. I've not had any work experience with Linux/Unix, my background is mainly working with Windows XP, Server 2003 boxes and some networking as well.
    Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Learn GRC! GRC Mastery : https://grcmastery.com 

• maps4youmaps4you Member Posts: 14 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Where are these CBTs? Are the free? I'm taking Pt 2 of L+ next week. Yeah its a ton of memorization.
    In exam 1 its a ton of cmd options in exam 2 its a ton of conf files.