Options

Do Switches need to use CSMA/CD

Mr.NoeMr.Noe Member Posts: 13 ■□□□□□□□□□
I thought that only hubs need CSMA/CD, why would a switch need it anyway. I was buying stuff online and this caught my attention http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817201207

It was pretty cheap for a 16 port switch, so what's the catch?

Comments

• Options
    johndoed0ejohndoed0e Member Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
    CSMA/CD is a half-duplex protocol.
    The switch supports it, in case you decide to attach a device that does not operate in a full-duplex mode. Such as a hub.
  • Options
    thisisalex02thisisalex02 Member Posts: 136
    Switches create a seperate collision domain for each port, hence eliminating the possibility of collisions.
    Switches are bridges on steroids!
  • Options
    Ten9t6Ten9t6 Member Posts: 691
    Switches create a seperate collision domain for each port, hence eliminating the possibility of collisions.

Until a user plugs a hub into that port. icon_wink.gif and they will...

To the original question if you buy an Ethernet switch, yes, it will use CSMA/CD.......

If you don't want it, you can always buy a token ring switch.. icon_wink.gif

Kenny
    Kenny

A+, Network+, Linux+, Security+, MCSE+I, MCSE:Security, MCDBA, CCNP, CCDP, CCSP, CCVP, CCIE Written (R/S, Voice),INFOSEC, JNCIA (M and FWV), JNCIS (M and FWV), ENA, C|EH, ACA, ACS, ACE, CTP, CISSP, SSCP, MCIWD, CIWSA
  • Options
    YankeeYankee Member Posts: 157
    johndoe had the right answer. If the switch port is half duplex then collision detection is enabled.

Yankee