Options

Network+ or CCNA

djjunoxdjjunox Member Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
I have a question concerning these two certs. I would like to know some opinions on which of these two or both to take. I am new to this, but I have some good experience with networking and computers, as I am in the Marine Corp and do this as my job everyday. I know that both are relatively the same, but with one made exclusively for CISCO. Any advice would be nice. Thanks

Comments

• Options
    determinedgermandeterminedgerman Member Posts: 168
    Hey djjunox,

Well... I have to disagree with you. Network+ and CCNA are not the same at all. The CCNA is going a lot deeper into the materials of networking in general.

I got my Network+ for one reason. Its just another cert on the resume that does not expire. I went and got my CCNA and then later went to get the Network+. If you are studying for the CCNA and passed the test you should be able to pass the Network+ without any difficulties at all.

Hope that helps!
  • Options
    djjunoxdjjunox Member Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hey germangiant,
    Thanks for the reply. I didn’t mean to say that these two certs are the same, what I was meaning to say was that they cover a lot of the same topics. I guess I am just stuck between which one would benefit me more. I would very much like to pursue a career in the IT field when I get out of the military, but I just don’t know what the best avenue of approach would be. I want to get into networking I know that for sure. Anyway thanks for the info.
  • Options
    kortie1kortie1 Member Posts: 10 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I'll say absolutely the CCNA should carry more weight than the Net+. I'll suggest that you go for the CCNA first if you have enough experience in the field of networking and later take the net+. Wish you good luck as you prepare for your exam.
  • Options
    determinedgermandeterminedgerman Member Posts: 168
    Hey djjunox,

Again, I have to agree with kortie1. CCNA first and Network+ second. Thats all I meant to say. To be honest with you, in the IT field of course networks and such the CCNA is very important. I work for SBC and all of the techs have to be CCNA certified now. All new hires need to be CCNA certified and without that they will not be consiered even if they have years and years of experience.

Both certification will benefit you!!!! And since the Network+ certification is good for life and you will never need to recertify it is a good certification to hold in addition to the CCNA. But as I stated before, study for the CCNA certification first and you should be able to take the Network+ certification right after it and pass it without problems.