My new career path..tell me what you think?

YuckTheFankeesYuckTheFankees Member Posts: 1,281 ■■■■■□□□□□
I'm really interested in linux/wireless/wireless security/ and pentesting.

Currently I work as NOC/ linux support, so I'm gaining networking and linux experience. I just obtained my Linux+ this week and I want to learn more about linux but would the RHCSA/RHCE be useful for pentesting or is that just overkill?

For the wireless portion; I would like to get all 4 of the CWNP's certs and maybe the cisco wireless certs but most people say to focus on the CWNP certs.

After I get the CWNA, that's when I'll start studying for the pentesting certs. I would really like to get the GPEN and GAWN certs first then maybe OSCP or GWAPT. But then again, maybe start with eCPPT/OSWP/ security tube wireless cert than SANS?

Tell me what you think?

Comments

• UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,564 Mod
    I'm really interested in linux/wireless/wireless security/ and pentesting.

Currently I work as NOC/ linux support, so I'm gaining networking and linux experience. I just obtained my Linux+ this week and I want to learn more about linux but would the RHCSA/RHCE be useful for pentesting or is that just overkill?

For the wireless portion; I would like to get all 4 of the CWNP's certs and maybe the cisco wireless certs but most people say to focus on the CWNP certs.

After I get the CWNA, that's when I'll start studying for the pentesting certs. I would really like to get the GPEN and GAWN certs first then maybe OSCP or GWAPT. But then again, maybe start with eCPPT/OSWP/ security tube wireless cert than SANS?

Tell me what you think?

For a pentesting career, you don't need RHCSA/RHCE. Those certs are useful for Linux/UNIX admins. If you are interested, you can do them.
    Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Check out my YouTube channel: https://youtu.be/DRJic8vCodE 

• onesaintonesaint Member Posts: 801
    UnixGuy wrote: »
    For a pentesting career, you don't need RHCSA/RHCE. Those certs are useful for Linux/UNIX admins. If you are interested, you can do them.

Do you see the RHCSA/RHCE being a good foundation for anything beyond Admin work (e.g., security)?
    Work in progress: picking up Postgres, elastisearch, redis, Cloudera, & AWS.
    Next up: eventually the RHCE and to start blogging again.

Control Protocol; my blog of exam notes and IT randomness
  • UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,564 Mod
    onesaint wrote: »
    Do you see the RHCSA/RHCE being a good foundation for anything beyond Admin work (e.g., security)?

A good security professional should have a solid understanding of networking and system administration, so there's definitely a value. RHCE demands a basic configuration of may network/security services such as DNS and firewalls, so it does give a good foundation, but I think passing the exams needs experience in Linux
    Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Check out my YouTube channel: https://youtu.be/DRJic8vCodE