Options

OSPF Election on Ethernet(broadcast)

nycbpnycbp Member Posts: 21 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi guys,

I'm am currently simulating labs on how OSPF and elections work. Currently, I have to routers which are connected via crossover cable on fast Ethernet ports.

Both interfaces have the default priority 1 and the IP address are:
R1: 192.168.10.49/29 fa0/0
R1: 10.255.255.9/30 s0/0
R1: 10.255.255.82/30 s0/1

R2: 192.168.10.51/29 fa0/0

From what I read in the books and Internet, if the priority are the same on both routers, the router with the highest RID will win. However, when I run "show ip ospf neighors" and "show ip ospf int fa0/0" I see that R1 is currently the DR.

Can anyone help me with this? I am running this on the latest version of packet tracer.

Comments

• Options
    pham0329pham0329 Member Posts: 556
    The higher RID wins, but there's no preemption. This means if R1 boots up first, it will be the DR no matter what its RID or priority is.
  • Options
    nycbpnycbp Member Posts: 21 ■□□□□□□□□□
    pham - yes. I realized this right after I typed all of the stuff. Either way, thank you for your quick response!
  • Options
    method115method115 Member Posts: 85 ■■□□□□□□□□
    pham0329 wrote: »
    The higher RID wins, but there's no preemption. This means if R1 boots up first, it will be the DR no matter what its RID or priority is.

So really in a real world scenario (lets say you have 4 routers connected) which ever router boots up first will be the DR? Unless you somehow manage to have every router boot up at the same time. I'm assuming in a real world scenario most people manually configure the DR/BDR? From what I remember when studying for CCNA manually configuring settings was almost always suggested/preferred way of doing it over automation.
  • Options
    pham0329pham0329 Member Posts: 556
    Yes, if you want to ensure that certain routers do not get elected, you would set their priority to 0.
  • Options
    thedramathedrama Member Posts: 291 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thats true. Routers with priority 0 is disqualified from the DR/BDR election process. One more thing, you need to care whether there are
    loopback interfaces on that segment.
    Monster PC specs(Packard Bell VR46) : Intel Celeron Dual-Core 1.2 GHz CPU , 4096 MB DDR3 RAM, Intel Media Graphics (R) 4 Family with IntelGMA 4500 M HD graphics. :lol:

5 year-old laptop PC specs(Toshiba Satellite A210) : AMD Athlon 64 x2 1.9 GHz CPU, ATI Radeon X1200 128 MB Video Memory graphics card, 3072 MB 667 Mhz DDR2 RAM. (1 stick 2 gigabytes and 1 stick 1 gigabytes)