Uppler Layers of the OSI model

tokhsstokhss Member Posts: 473
i am reading right now in my Sybex book.. its states

"the Network+ exam does not cover the upper layers"

this quote is regarding the Session, Presentation, and Application layers..

is this true? b/c it latter says.. since the network+ exam will not cover these layers, since many times they are grouped together.. it will only give a brief overview of these layers...

Comments

• cheebliecheeblie Member Posts: 288
    I personally don't remember anything on the test from those layers, however, I think you should know them regardless. The sooner you understand the OSI model in its entirety, the better off you'll be. To me it sounds like your author is just being lazy. Try to find some info about those areas because knowledge is power. :D

Cheeblie
  • lazyartlazyart Member Posts: 483
    I have the same book. The author does in fact say the upper layers are not covered in the exam, but he goes thru them in the same depth as the others.
    I'm not a complete idiot... some parts are missing.
  • WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    The exam objective says:
    2.2 Identify the seven layers of the OSI model and their functions.

As always (in any networking exam) there's a larger focus on the 4 lower layers, simply because this is where most networking hardware and protocols are defined.
  • KasorKasor Member Posts: 933 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Know them... even is not cover..
    Kill All Suffer T "o" ReBorn
  • bellboybellboy Member Posts: 1,017
    most of the things that you come across in network+, such as routing, tcp, udp, hardware, etc normally fall in the lower layers.

you will need to know about all seven layers, it's just that there is more stuff in the objectives to get asked on in those lower layers.
    A+ Moderator
  • DrakonblaydeDrakonblayde Member Posts: 542
    Whether or not the exam covers them, you still need to know them and be able to identify their functions if you plan on a career in Networking. I honestly don't remember anything from above layer 4 on my own N+ exam, but that doesn't mean questions couldn't be there. It probably wouldn't go to into depth, but a question asking what layer of the OSI model handles encryption/decryption wouldn't be too far fetched.
    = Marcus Drakonblayde
    ================
    CCNP-O-Meter:
    =[0%]==[25%]==[50%]==[75%]==[100%]
    ==[X]===[X]====[ ]=====[ ]====[ ]==
    =CCNA==BSCI==BCMSN==BCRAN==CIT=
  • tokhsstokhss Member Posts: 473
    i never said i was not going to study the upper layers.. regardless, i will read from start to finish.. i was just curious if this was true.. and why.
    i got that answer..

thanks.