Taking the 201 test on Oct 28 (next Friday)...Freaking out

comb0016comb0016 Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
I set up my schedule and did Derril's book following the 45 plan that he suggested. I have a computer engineering degree, but have no experience in security. I'm hoping to make a lateral move in my company which is why I'm taking the test. I did relatively well in each chapter of the book, but now find myself spazzing out on practice tests online. My main hurdle are questions with multiple answers. Did anyone encounter a lot of those types of questions on the test? I don't really care if I pass with 800s I just want to pass on the first go. Right now I'm skimming throughh Security+ All in One book and making flash cards to help me with my final week. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you

Comments

• TLeTourneauTLeTourneau Member Posts: 616 ■■■■■■■■□□
    My best advice is to take some deep breaths and calm down. If you get too worked up you'll become your own worst enemy. If you're doing well with Darril's book you should be fine. You could also look at something like uCertify if you like but really Darril's book is all many people use and they pass just fine. As far as the multiple answer questions, they are there but that's about all I think I can say without violating the NDA. About the only advice I have for those is that the choices tend to make sense group wise (they "go together"), don't overthink it.
    Thanks, Tom

M.S. - Cybersecurity and Information Assurance
    B.S: IT - Network Design & Management
  • DarrilDarril Member Posts: 1,588
    Sounds like you're on the right track and TLeTourneau is giving some great advice.

One thing I like to stress to people is to read the explanations for the questions too. Ideally, you should be able to look at any practice test question and know why the correct answer is correct, and why the incorrect answer is incorrect. If you know this, it doesn't matter how they word the question, you'll be able to answer it correctly. If you run across practice test questions without explanations, look at them suspiciously. It's easy to have a typo where the wrong question is marked and if you just memorize the question and answer, you may me memorizing incorrect material.

Good luck.

Darril Gibson
    Security+ blog
    Security+ Tip Of Day
  • comb0016comb0016 Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thank you for your responses. I'll try some relaxation and reading the reasoning behind the wrong AND right answers. I can't wait to pass and enter this field.
  • FrankThFrankTh Member Posts: 30 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hi comb0016
    For myself I passed the sec+ last year using Darril gibson book mostly.
    I was quite nervous when sitting for the exam. Ended with a good result.
    Good success with this exam. waiting to see a: I passed...

Frankth
  • PaperlanternPaperlantern Member Posts: 352
    I'll just reiterate that you will do fine with Darril's book as your main study guide. Day of test try not to hit any material. I always schedule early all of my exams. If you like afternoons, some REALLY light skimming over some notes wouldn't hurt. Make sure you are rested and have a good meal beforehand. Above all, stay calm and focused.
  • DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    No need to be freaked. Its a great book. Go through the questions, read explanations if you get them wrong (or guessed to get the right answer) and you will do just fine.

Good luck
    Decide what to be and go be it.
  • BrakarificBrakarific Member Posts: 23 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I don't know if this is much consolation, but I went in to take the exam, I was thinking it was going to be as hard as the CCNA. 30 mins later, I was done. It was all knowledge based questions, either you know it or you don't. I know the CCNA and Sec + aren't anything alike, but I was expecting the brain crushing difficulty the Cisco test gave me. The Security+ exam was a walk in the park in comparison. I second everyone else's opinion about Darril's book, it was pretty much all I used, and I took every chapter quiz and went back and studied the areas I missed on the quizzes.
  • beingcertifiedbeingcertified Member Posts: 40 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I'll be taking my SYO-201 exam around the same time. I've bought Darril's book and the MP3's and they are great. I've also been running through the Actual Tests questions for the Security + exam 201 version. I'm nervious also about taking the exam, but in hearing everyone say it's not as hard as they thought makes me feel better. But was there any Exhibit/Drop and Drag excercises on it? I keep hearing mixed information on that! Thanks!
  • DarrilDarril Member Posts: 1,588
    But was there any Exhibit/Drop and Drag excercises on it? I keep hearing mixed information on that! Thanks!
    You won't see any exhibit or drag and drop exercises on the Security+ exam. If you pursure the next CompTIA Security exam (CASP), you will see these advanced type of questions, but you can just expect multiple choice questions on the Security+ exam. This forum (CASP) has info on the CASP exam if you're interested in pursuing it after passing the Security+ exam.
    Brakarific wrote: »
    I don't know if this is much consolation, but I went in to take the exam, I was thinking it was going to be as hard as the CCNA. 30 mins later, I was done. It was all knowledge based questions, either you know it or you don't. I know the CCNA and Sec + aren't anything alike, but I was expecting the brain crushing difficulty the Cisco test gave me. The Security+ exam was a walk in the park in comparison. I second everyone else's opinion about Darril's book, it was pretty much all I used, and I took every chapter quiz and went back and studied the areas I missed on the quizzes.

Congrats on the pass. Glad the book helped.

HTH,

Darril Gibson
    Security+ blog
    Security+ Tip Of Day
    Well I've done all I can do and stopped studying at 9pm tonight. My test is at 10am in the morning and I'm going to bed/sleep within the hour. Thanks for all the advice and I'll update tomorrow.
    Good luck!
    Thanks, Tom

• carwashguycarwashguy Member Posts: 29 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Good Luck. All I used was darril's book, his MP3's, and his android app.
    I passed with 842. I was so sure I didn't make it towards to the end. Thanks everyone for your time and advice.
    Congratulations!
    Thanks, Tom

• DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Congrats!
    Decide what to be and go be it.
  • KrunchiKrunchi Member Posts: 237
    Nice Job icon_cheers.gif
    Certifications: A+,Net+,MCTS-620,640,642,643,659,MCITP-622,623,646,647,MCSE-246
  • ploveplove Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hi I also going to attend Security+ exam 2morro hope for me it will be a great day with SSH encryption confusion
  • whatthehellwhatthehell Member Posts: 920
    Congratz and thanks for the info for the test!
    2017 Goals:
    [ ] Security + [ ] 74-409 [ ] CEH
    Future Goals:
    TBD