switch break seq

alliasneoalliasneo Member Posts: 186
Hello everyone,

I have forgotten the password to my switch in my home lab. I have Tera Term, Putty and can windows CMD to connect but none of these seem to allow a break sequence to be sent?

I've tried this on one of my routers and it accepts ctrl-c just fine but nothing seems to work on the switch. I've also tried this in packet tracer and get the same thing. Any ideas?

thanks

Comments

• alxxalxx Member Posts: 755
    different per program

terraterm Alt-b
    hyperterm crtl Break

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/routers/ps133/products_tech_note09186a0080174a34.shtml

d
    irect serial port or via usb2serial ?
    Goals CCNA by dec 2013, CCNP by end of 2014
  • alliasneoalliasneo Member Posts: 186
    Thanks for the response. I'll give these a go later and see if I can get anywhere.

I'm connecting via console cable
  • alliasneoalliasneo Member Posts: 186
    no this break sequence is still not working for me. I've tried alt-b in teraterm but it only pauses the load up for a second and then it carries on. I've also tried the break sequence from the 'control' menu item at the top of teraterm.

I could post a video up showing you what it does?
  • Ltat42aLtat42a Member Posts: 587 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Password recovery in Packet Tracer

Turn router off
    Turn router back on, then switch to CLI tab
    During the image load, pres & hold Ctrl+Shift+F6+C to interrupt the boot sequence
    at the ROMMON > prompt "confreg 0x2142" (without quotes)
    Follow steps to recover password

Note, instead of turning router off then back on, go to Priv Exec mode (enable), type "reload", then Ctrl+Shift+F6+C to interrupt the boot sequence.

hth
  • Timber WolfTimber Wolf Member Posts: 90 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Switch password recovery is different from Router password recovery and can vary depending on the switch. Below should help you with your issue.

Cisco Catalyst Fixed Configuration Layer 2 and Layer 3 Switches - Cisco Systems
    WGU BS IT - Security
    Need to complete: CSV1 BOV1 RIT1 BNC1 KET1 TPV1 MGC1 CJV1 KFT1 CNV1 SBT1 RGT1
    Completed: CUV1 CTV1
    Transferred: CVV1 DJV1 IWT1 IWC1 BVC1 QLT1 DHV1 HHT1 GAC1 DFV1 INT1 INC1 CPV1 AXV1 QBT1 LUT1 LAE1 CLC1 BBC1 AGC1 WFV1 CQV1 COV1
  • billyrbillyr Member Posts: 186
    What model of switch is it?

Assuming its of CCNA level I'm guessing the 2950. In that case there is no break sequence as such.

There are a couple of ways you can reset the password.

Most common method:

Turn off and then turn back on whilst holding down the mode button.
    Wait for only the sytem lamp to be blinking on its own. Let go of the mode button.
    On your screen you will see the prompt switch:
    enter the following:

flash_init
    load_helper
    rename flash:config.text flash:config.old
    boot

Switch will restart.
    Make your way to the privilege mode.

rename flash:config.old flash:config.text
    copy flash:config.text system:running-config
    Next into config mode, then change and save your new enable secret.

Method number 2 and a lot quicker.

Do not turn off the device.
    Hold down the mode button for about 10 seconds, what you are looking for is all the port lights to blink once at the same time. Let go of the mode button.
    The device will restart itself and will rename the startup file for you. Normally to something like config.text.renamed.
    When the device boots itself back up.
    Into priv mode once more and:
    rename flash:config.text.renamed flash:config.text
    copy flash:config.text system:running-config

set your new enable secret and save.