books , resources for CCNA Security ?

alxxalxx Member Posts: 755
Whats the recommended minimum materials books , videos , lab guides etc for CCNA security ?

Cisco Implementing Cisco IOS Network Security (IINS): (CCNA Security exam 640-553) (Authorized Self-Study Guide)
CCNA Security Official Exam Certification Guide (Exam 640-553) (Exam Certification Guides)
Sybex CCNA Security Study Guide: Exam 640-553 by Tim Boyles

CCNA Security Study Notes from mikem2te http://www.techexams.net/forums/ccna-security/50118-ccna-security-study-notes.html

CBT Nugets CCNA Security Videos http://www.cbtnuggets.com/it-training-videos/series/csco_640_553

Train Signal CCNA Security Videos Cisco CCNA Security - Implementing Cisco IOS Network Security(IINS), 640-553 Exam, IINS Certification | Train Signal

Bryant Advantage CCNA Security Study guide

Anything else ?

Also what other resources are good/better / more practical use for setting up firewalls/ids/ips
on cisco equipment ?
Goals CCNA by dec 2013, CCNP by end of 2014

Comments

• QHaloQHalo Member Posts: 1,488
    You could drop the OCG and the Sybex book too. The ASG is perfectly fine for the exam and I've read some of the OCG and it's not great and the Sybex book doesn't have good reviews. I'd also pickup this:

Amazon.com: CCNA Security Lab Manual (9781587132490): Cisco Networking Academy: Books

I've used both TS and CBT for their videos and Jeremy is far more indepth than Chris Bryant although his stuff is good too. Just not eveything is covered.

Basically everything else you have I'm using as well.
  • mamonomamono Member Posts: 776 ■■□□□□□□□□
    That's about it. Use the author that you feel communicates the subject in the most comprehensible manner to you. Some people like one book over another or read all of them, some need visual aides, use what works best for you.

As for other resources, consider GNS3.
  • alan2308alan2308 Member Posts: 1,854 ■■■■■■■■□□
    From what I've heard, the OCG is incomplete. The lab manual QHalo linked is excellent, I used it in the Academy class.

I wouldn't go overboard collecting materials for the CCNA Security. I would say at least 35% of it is review from the CCNA, and the other 65% is a lot lighter than you are probably expecting. Think about it this way, the CCNA is 4 semester classes, the CCNA Security goes at a very slow pace to stretch it out to one semester class.
  • alxxalxx Member Posts: 755
    Great thanks!
    Goals CCNA by dec 2013, CCNP by end of 2014
  • viper75viper75 Member Posts: 726 ■■■■□□□□□□
    All you need is this book.

Amazon.com: Implementing Cisco IOS Network Security (IINS): (CCNA Security exam 640-553) (Authorized Self-Study Guide) (978158705815icon_cool.gif: Catherine Paquet: Books

CBT Nuggets and Chris's videos are good too. Also Lab A LOT with SDM...A LOT!!!

You don't need to go out and start a whole CCNA Sec. collection of materials. Study everyday for a few hours until you get bored and sick of studying. And you score well on practice exams.

I studied for 3 solid months and passes on Ash Wednesday.

At the beginning the book is dry, but eventually it picks up. The chapters are loooooooooooong too, but the book is great! You will learn a whole lot studying for this test.

CBT Nuggets gives you a lot of info, but Chris goes into a whole lot more detail. If I had to pick between the two I would go for the Bryant Advantage. He's dry and not as fun as Jeremy, but he gives you more than Jeremy does.

Good luck my friend!
    CCNP Security - DONE!
    CCNP R&S - In Progress...
    CCIE Security - Future...
  • lrblrb Member Posts: 526
    All I used was the official cert guide (which was all that was out at the time I did it) and heaps of labbing. I reckon you could probably get through only on the authorized self study guide, GNS3, and a 2950 for the l2 security. I dunno if they have changed it since I did it, but those SDM graphics are really hard to read on the exam so bring your reading glasses :) Good luck!
  • nycbpnycbp Member Posts: 21 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Does packet tracer have enough simulated routers and switches to pass this particular exam? It was good enough for me to pass CCNA but I'm not sure if there are other hardware that are tested in this exam.
  • QHaloQHalo Member Posts: 1,488
    SDM does not work with PT and this exam is heavy on SDM. Use Dynamips/Dynagen.
  • kmcintosh78kmcintosh78 Member Posts: 195
    QHalo wrote: »
    SDM does not work with PT and this exam is heavy on SDM. Use Dynamips/Dynagen.

I wonder why Cisco hasn't updated that yet?
    What I am working on
    CCNP Route (Currently) 80% done
    CCNP Switch (Next Year)
    CCNP TShoot (Next Year)
  • nycbpnycbp Member Posts: 21 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Are there any particular firewalls that are on this exam? I currently have one image for a router IOS that I can use in GNS3.