VMware Server 2.0 vs Virtualbox

joehalford01joehalford01 Member Posts: 364 ■■■□□□□□□□
I just wanted to share my experience. I'm working my way through the 70-642 study guide (Server2008R2 Networking) and I'm getting to the section that requires an internet connection to the virtual machine network. I've been fighting with VMware server 2.0 (free version) to get my packets properly routed out the internet interface for days; I installed Virtual Box last night, created a new RRAS server and another client, and I had everything working in less then 30 minutes.

I knew it couldn't be this difficult. :D +1 to Virtualbox for letting me move on with my life.

Comments

• EveryoneEveryone Member Posts: 1,661
    You realize VMWare Server was discontinued years ago, and that version is several years old right? Had you been using the latest version of Player (free) or Workstation (free trial available), or running ESXi (free), you probably wouldn't have had those problems.

VirtualBox is OK though. ;)
  • ClaymooreClaymoore Member Posts: 1,637
    Everyone wrote: »
    You realize VMWare Server was discontinued years ago, and that version is several years old right? Had you been using the latest version of Player (free) or Workstation (free trial available), or running ESXi (free), you probably wouldn't have had those problems.

Better yet, run Hyper-V. There are Hyper-V questions on the 643 exam, and MS has a virtualization certification track as well. I don't see where Oracle offers a VirtualBox cert, so why not use something you will be tested on anyway?
  • joehalford01joehalford01 Member Posts: 364 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Hmmm......good point, I did not realize that. I didn't want to use VMware player, I have that at work and I don't really care for it (although it is better then Windows Virtual PC), I don't want to use a free-trial that will expire, and I did play around with ESXi but I only had money for one computer and couldn't run a dedicated server. Although I'm sure ESXi is legit.
    Everyone wrote: »

I looked into that but didn't spend a lot of time on it, we use it here at work so I'm somewhat familiar with it. It looks like you can run it as a dedicated server like ESXi or you need to run it in Server 2008R2? I wanted to run Windows 7 as my host OS. Am I correct in my train of thought or is possible to run it in Windows 7?
    Claymoore wrote: »
    Better yet, run Hyper-V. There are Hyper-V questions on the 643 exam, and MS has a virtualization certification track as well. I don't see where Oracle offers a VirtualBox cert, so why not use something you will be tested on anyway?
  • QHaloQHalo Member Posts: 1,488
    Hyper-V doesn't run on Windows 7. If you don't have another piece of hardware to run Hyper-V on, then just stick with Virtualbox.
    QHalo wrote: »
    Hyper-V doesn't run on Windows 7. If you don't have another piece of hardware to run Hyper-V on, then just stick with Virtualbox.

Thanks, I was pretty sure it didn't, but the confirmation is nice. :D
  • ClaymooreClaymoore Member Posts: 1,637
    QHalo wrote: »

That's why you dual boot it with a Server 2008 R2 vhd. Then you can skip the labs for the boot-to-vhd questions on the Win7 exam.
  • QHaloQHalo Member Posts: 1,488
    /bow

Claymoore is wise. Well played sir.