Network+ good start

dazl1212dazl1212 Member Posts: 377
Hi,

I have had a look at the N+ 70-680 and 70-640
I do not have any certs and did spend about a year reading the book for the N+
Would it help towards getting me an entry level networking job.
I have about 8 years IT experiance but not a lot on networks.
All as im asking is would it be worth doing or should I skip it and do a Microsoft cert?
Eventually I would like to work in a school/college or buisiness as an IT technician.
Goals for 2013 Network+ [x] ICND1 [x] ICND2 [ ]

Comments

• sthomassthomas Member Posts: 1,240 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Since you already have a lot of general IT experience and want to get into networking I would skip the Network+ and go for the CCENT and then CCNA. If you want to be a Sys Admin then go for the Microsoft certifications like MCITP:EA. If you want to work as a tech at a school or business the Microsoft certs will help you more in my opinion. But if you want to do networking the CCNA is a good start. In the end having both Microsoft and Cisco certification is your best option.
    Working on: MCSA 2012 R2
  • dazl1212dazl1212 Member Posts: 377
    Thank you for the advice I will have a look into the CCENT
    I did start studying for the CCNA but I found it ridiculously hard as I had virtually zero Networking experience.
    So wouldnt I struggle badly with the CCENT again?
    I do find the N+ pretty easy.
    dazl1212 wrote: »
    Thank you for the advice I will have a look into the CCENT
    I did start studying for the CCNA but I found it ridiculously hard as I had virtually zero Networking experience.
    So wouldnt I struggle badly with the CCENT again?
    I do find the N+ pretty easy.

I don't think you will struggle with the CCENT. The exam is a little more difficult than N+ because you need to know how to subnet in your head but once you get that down it is not hard. I actually had fun studying for the CCENT because you have to know basic Cisco router configuration which was fun to learn IMHO. If you have the extra cash go for Net+ and then start working on CCENT\CCNA. N+ will help you prepare for the CCENT but I think you will learn more from the Cisco exams and they will help your career more.
  • 4_lom4_lom Member Posts: 485
    The CCENT is a fairly easy exam... if you are prepared. I suggest getting the Official Exam Library by Wendell Odom, and the CBT nuggets with Jeremy Ciora. You will also need some lab equipment (waste of money for the CCENT), or some sort of network virtualization software, like Packet Tracer. Study the materials, set up some networks, and you should be good to go. Here are the objectives for the CCENT exam:

640-822 ICND1 - IT Certification and Career Paths - Cisco Systems
    Oh yeah, almost forgot, Cisco now has an exam called the Cisco Certified Technician, which looks wicked easy, here is the link:

https://learningnetwork.cisco.com/community/certifications/cct/cct_routing_switching?tab=overview

Good Luck!

Goals for 2018: MCSA: Cloud Platform, AWS Solutions Architect, MCSA : Server 2016, MCSE: Messaging

I was doing the N+ but didnt think it would count for much so started doing 70-680 but tbh I found it really boring.
    Then the other day I was looking at jobs and came across a few asking for the N+ so I did a mock exam and missed the pass mark by around 100 points.
    So I thought I may only be around a month off being ready to do the exam.
    I also dont have any certs so I figured get my exam cram book read and sit it.
    Not sure now though icon_rolleyes.gif
  • apexgtpapexgtp Member Posts: 22 ■□□□□□□□□□
    70-680 is kinda boring but it does go towards the larger SA cert.
    dazl1212 wrote: »
    I was doing the N+ but didnt think it would count for much so started doing 70-680 but tbh I found it really boring.
    Then the other day I was looking at jobs and came across a few asking for the N+ so I did a mock exam and missed the pass mark by around 100 points.
    So I thought I may only be around a month off being ready to do the exam.
    I also dont have any certs so I figured get my exam cram book read and sit it.
    Not sure now though icon_rolleyes.gif

If you have seen jobs in your area that you are interested in asking for the Network+ then go for it. It certainly won't hurt anything to have it. Good luck with whatever you decide.
    Aye think thats my plan then I'll have a look into the CCENT.
  • DarrilDarril Member Posts: 1,588
    Just to add a little. Since you do seem to be close to the Network+, I'd strongly encourage you to follow through and get it. Since you've been looking at the Network+ book for about a year, it probably isn't a good idea to shift gears to a different certification. Finish one and then move on to the next. Your original post indicated you want to move into Microsoft certifications and networking knowledge will definitely be needed when you start looking at Server certs such as the 70-680.

Also, your comment about finding 70-640 boring is worth mentioning. If you don't really get into it, it just may not be for you. Nothing wrong with that. However, most people excel at what they enjoy so a bigger question you may try to pose for yourself is "what do I enjoy?" Certainly we make sacrifices to move along our chosen career path, but if you get on to a path you love, I doubt you'll find yourself bored.

HTH,

Darril Gibson
    Security+ blog
    Security+ Tip Of Day
    What a good post, thank you.
    I tend to find the more hardware side of things interesting I.E getting my hands dirty.
    The comment about finding things boring was more the 70-680 although the small section on virtualization was interesting.
    The 70-640 more was interesting but not as much as the N+
  • Ammar YaserAmmar Yaser Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Excuse me , I want to ask you about N+,I am fresh graduate and now I am taking CCNA, but in our country it's not enough to get a job, so I want your advice I take n+ or the CCNA covers the N+?I mean if I take N+ I will got more skills or CCNA enough?