New member looking for guidance on LPI 201 and compiling the kernel

localhostlocalhost Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
I just found this site and I wish I found it earlier in my certification journey.

I am currently studying for my LPI 201 test and i'm struggling with compling the kernel. I've found a number of how-to's that have confused me even more. Can anyone point me to a site to walk me through the process of recompling to include or disable features?

thank you for any assistance.

Comments

• UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,564 Mod
    localhost wrote: »
    I just found this site and I wish I found it earlier in my certification journey.

I am currently studying for my LPI 201 test and i'm struggling with compling the kernel. I've found a number of how-to's that have confused me even more. Can anyone point me to a site to walk me through the process of recompling to include or disable features?

thank you for any assistance.

Welcome to the Forums, glad you joined us icon_cheers.gif

Try this:
    How to: Compile Linux kernel 2.6

if it doesn't work, please copy the error message you're getting
    Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Check out my YouTube channel: https://youtu.be/DRJic8vCodE 

• localhostlocalhost Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks UnixGuy !! was finally able to compile a new kernel.

I am using CentOS and I was trying to use the kernel-devel rpm as soon as I downloaded the kernel from kernel.org it worked.

Part of the install stated not to be logged in as root. I tried this and received permission denied messages, should I have changed the permissions on the files?

Also, I have been supporting a few linux boxes and I have not customized the distribution by compiling updated packages or kernels. I'm curious, is it common to compile updated packages or kernels for production servers? Or, is it better to stick with the distribution updates only?
    Thanks UnixGuy !! was finally able to compile a new kernel.

I am using CentOS and I was trying to use the kernel-devel rpm as soon as I downloaded the kernel from kernel.org it worked.

Part of the install stated not to be logged in as root. I tried this and received permission denied messages, should I have changed the permissions on the files?

Also, I have been supporting a few linux boxes and I have not customized the distribution by compiling updated packages or kernels. I'm curious, is it common to compile updated packages or kernels for production servers? Or, is it better to stick with the distribution updates only?

Glad it worked :)

I didn't understand the first question, you mean you couldn't login as 'root' ? or you have a requirement to disable logging in as 'root' ?

As for the complication, I'd say no it's not. Usually (usually not always) the systems are left with standard complication, as it makes things easier to manage, and future updates more smooth and less troublesome. Also, it helps future administrators easily manage your systems if you resign..keep the systems as simple as possible, recompilatation of distors is done only when there's a need for that (rare to be honest).

Sorry for the confusion. According to some of the how-to's I read they stated that it's bad to be logged in as root when executing the make commands. When I tried to execute the commands as a normal user I received the permission deined error. Should I have changed the permissions on the files before I tried to execute the commands?
    Sorry for the confusion. According to some of the how-to's I read they stated that it's bad to be logged in as root when executing the make commands. When I tried to execute the commands as a normal user I received the permission deined error. Should I have changed the permissions on the files before I tried to execute the commands?

Did they mention why is it bad to execute 'make' as a root user ? Usually, it's done using root access because, as you have already experienced, it does need root permission to do so. Just go ahead and execute it with root permission...

UnixGuy, Thanks for your help.
    UnixGuy, Thanks for your help.

you're welcome :)