Masters at WGU

MrAgentMrAgent Member Posts: 1,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
So I am thinking of enrolling at WGU to get a Masters. I dont know if I want to go the security route, or the MBA route. Is anyone here enrolled into either of these programs? If so, can you share your experiences and your thoughts?

Comments

• -Foxer--Foxer- Member Posts: 151
    I just started the MS:ISA this month, and so far I've liked it. Security is what interest me though, so it seemed like a good fit for me.
    I also got my Bachelor's degree with them, and like the school, so i was already pretty familiar with how it all works.
    I'm not sure exactly wheat you want to know, but I'll answer any other questions you have.
  • MrAgentMrAgent Member Posts: 1,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    So two questions. Do they have books and materials to study, or do you just have to study for the certifications and then they award you credit?

Is the IA track really a 3 year program?
  • -Foxer--Foxer- Member Posts: 151
    Somme books they have, some you have to purchase on your own.
    2 of the 3 classes I'm in right now have books provided. The other one doesn't. In fact, the ethical hacking class has book, videos, and practice tests, so it's pretty comprehensive. It really depends on the class though.
    They also have a course of study that helps guide you during your studies. You do have to be pretty self motivated though.

I'm not planning on it taking 3 years. In fact, I'm hoping to get it done in 1 year, 1 1/2 tops. But again, it depends on you. For my bachelors I did about 32 credits a semester. There was one guy at graduation that did something Ike 97 credits in one semester.
  • Hada944Hada944 Member Posts: 8 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Perhaps the MBA might be a good idea at WGU, but the security/IA absolutely would not be.

If you are interested in entering an IA program, the right place to start your program search is right here: Centers of Academic Excellence - Institutions - NSA/CSS

One of the better programs in the IA field is at Capitol College. I call it a good program as there are very few (less than 5) programs, among the many certified by NSA and DHS as well as some schools which are research institutions (CAE-R versus CAE), which map to all of the domains like Capitol does.

Any search for IA programs should begin and end with the link mentioned above. Certified by the NSA, all others are pretenders.

Good luck with your education.

Cory
    "Age is not a particularly interesting subject. Anyone can get old. All you have to do is live long enough"
  • colemiccolemic Member Posts: 1,569 ■■■■■■■□□□
    I don't know that I would call others pretenders, and I believe that WGU's MSIA is on track be certified by NSA in the near future... veritas might know for sure, I think I saw a post from him a while back about it...
    Working on: staying alive and staying employed
  • earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I tend to disagrre about the MBA being a good idea from WGU actually. If you must get it online then try to get it from a B&M that offers it online.
    As far as being a Center of Academic Excellence Insttitution I doubt WGU will get that anytime soon..
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • uhtrinityuhtrinity Member Posts: 138
    I believe they are on track to get the NSA certification this summer, what I heard is they missed a deadline last year. Veritas had posted the details in one of the WGU threads.

I'm doing a masters through WGU as of this month, but taking a slightly different approach with M.Ed in Learning & Technology. So far it looks like the program is mostly Instructional Design using technology, so it fits right in with my IT and Technical Coordinator background. For my capstone I will most likely teach our teachers how to fully implement technology into their curriculum.
    Technology Coordinator, Computer Lab Instructor, Network Admin
    BS IT Network Administration AAS Electronics / Laser Electro Optics
  • powerfoolpowerfool Member Posts: 1,665 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I dunno... there are lots of schools of thought about education. Academics generally shun the MBA for being about "higher earning" rather than "higher learning"... However, I find that to be a rather pompous attitude... I mean, if you really want to learn, you don't need to go to school at all for that. Going to school is about going through a program and making yourself marketable and this is the most true for the MBA. There are lots of people with MBAs, and there are lots of people that have MBAs and they are disappointed that they have an MBA, student loans, and no better job or no job at all.

As far as an MBA goes, you should go to the absolute most prestigious school that you can afford and have the opportunity to attend. So, I don't know what that means for you, as that has nothing to do with me... it is your own decision and it means something different for everyone.
    2024 Renew: [ ] AZ-204 [ ] AZ-305 [ ] AZ-400 [ ] AZ-500 [ ] Vault Assoc.
    2024 New: [X] AWS SAP [ ] CKA [ ] Terraform Auth/Ops Pro
  • 7lowe7lowe Member Posts: 178 ■■■□□□□□□□
    My former school is on the NSA's CAE list and I wouldn't recommend it all.
  • veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    earweed wrote: »
    I tend to disagrre about the MBA being a good idea from WGU actually. If you must get it online then try to get it from a B&M that offers it online.
    As far as being a Center of Academic Excellence Insttitution I doubt WGU will get that anytime soon..

I'm going to have to disagree with you on this. I'll be shocked if they don't achieve it next year. They are on schedule to get it and only barely missed it last time.

FYI, I'm going to be shooting for UMUC or Nova most likely.
  • colemiccolemic Member Posts: 1,569 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Going back to the idea that an MSIA from WGU would be a waste - there are other factors that should be considered, in addition to the NSA list - a big one for me, is speed, and cost. I have not committed to go the WEGU route, but it is VERY appealing because I can burn through the rest of my GI Bill money (and hopefully have a little left over), whereas if I go the Capitol route (another one I am considering), it will take an extra year and significantly more financial resources to complete.

Somebody prove me wrong, but has anyone missed out on a job opportunity because their Master's degree wasn't on the NSA list? While itprobably has value, it shouldn't be the only factor in determining the quality of a school... bottom line, if I can use GI Bill benefits there, then it is accredited.
    Working on: staying alive and staying employed
  • petedudepetedude Member Posts: 1,510
    earweed wrote: »

From a comment posted in July on another board (not by me). . .
    Hello All,
    I am half way through my MBA program in 5 months. I do have an undergraduate degree in business. It doesn't make the MBA any easier. I have studied extremely hard. They say 20 hours a week. I am doing 8-12 hours a day. That is why I can do so many classes in 5 months. I am no genius.

It's probably a decent program, but it's no cakewalk. The MBA program at WGU really has only two main advantages: self-paced and (relatively) low cost. Most folks might be able to wrap it up in a year and a half if they really push.

I can't say a WGU MBA is a bad idea, per se, but there may be better options. There are lower cost state university programs online if you can get a decent GMAT score. If you plan to work in an industry or company where reputation of the university is important, I'd say earweed's advice about going to a local brick & mortar school is on target. If that's not the case, any regionally accredited master's will qualify you for the few jobs absolutely requiring RA master's degrees, such as teaching at RA schools.

I toyed with the idea of pursuing an MBA with WGU, but I really like the notion of having different names in the degree portion of the resume. At the moment, I'm actually considering an extremely inexpensive nationally accredited program (I hear some of you gasping). It would get me into a lot of places (though not all), and would allow me to teach at community colleges in CA.
    Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there.
    --Will Rogers
  • phantasmphantasm Member Posts: 995
    I'm going to have to disagree with you on this. I'll be shocked if they don't achieve it next year. They are on schedule to get it and only barely missed it last time.

FYI, I'm going to be shooting for UMUC or Nova most likely.

I'm looking at UMUC and a couple of other schools. I just saw that my wife's Alma mater has an online MSIT program. Expensive school, awesome instructors, degree looks to be MBA and Tech blended together.

MS - Information Technology
    "No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man." -Heraclitus
  • powerfoolpowerfool Member Posts: 1,665 ■■■■■■■■□□
    UMUC is kicking my butt. Each course is six credit hours and I am putting in as much time as I did doing 12 credits hours for my undergrad. Definitely quality stuff. I may be getting something more than the average student as I am in a cohort with only employees from my employer, so it really helps with intra-company networking.
    2024 Renew: [ ] AZ-204 [ ] AZ-305 [ ] AZ-400 [ ] AZ-500 [ ] Vault Assoc.
    2024 New: [X] AWS SAP [ ] CKA [ ] Terraform Auth/Ops Pro
  • veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Just an update for those wondering about the MSIA at WGU. WGU has decided not to work any further on pursuing the NSA/CAE at this time. They are however working on achieving the IA4013 standard. Currently they hold the 4011 and 4012.

IA Courseware Institutions
  • petedudepetedude Member Posts: 1,510
    Just an update for those wondering about the MSIA at WGU. WGU has decided not to work any further on pursuing the NSA/CAE at this time. They are however working on achieving the IA4013 standard. Currently they hold the 4011 and 4012.

Bummer.

I would like to see WGU bolster its reputation. Moreso, I'd like to see them bolster their reputation to where no one could argue with them.
    Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there.
    --Will Rogers
  • erpadminerpadmin Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■

IMHO, I think this is a mistake on their part. This was the one MS degree that I actually liked from WGU.

It's going to be very hard selling that degree to others.
  • demonfurbiedemonfurbie Member Posts: 1,819

with out that davenport looks like the better choice
    wgu undergrad: done ... woot!!
    WGU MS IT Management: done ... double woot :cheers:
  • instant000instant000 Member Posts: 1,745

I'm looking at WGU's site, where did you see this link?
    MAINLY because it offered a degree I wanted at an affordable price.

EDIT:
    ^^^ Wow, that made no sense, thinking faster than I'm typing. Let me try again:

I'm looking at WGU's site, where did you see this information, was there a link?
    I'm attending WGU, but not because of NSA accreditation, but because of regional accreditation, and to get a Master's degree in my field. I'm MAINLY there because it offered a degree I wanted at an affordable price.

^^ Much better.
    Currently Working: CCIE R&S
    LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/lewislampkin (Please connect: Just say you're from TechExams.Net!)